What do you think?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Jul 15, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have a 9000,10000,and 6500 ABU Reel and was considering loading them up with 20lb line and then topping them with 50lb cajun.The 6500 I was thinking about 14 or 17lb line and topping with 20lb.This way I could have a bigger line up front,but get good capacity also.What do you think?
    Just wondering how you guys do this.Im not a braid person,so that to me isnt a option.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    If you want to do that id throw the Cajun in the trash or get ur money back and buy some Berkley big game

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    also i use 30lb big game its very strong same with the 40lb, i have trouble breaking it when snagged

4. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used cajun and big game both have served me well.just loaded all my reels with big game solar.getting older and cant see thet line as well as i used too.:wink: sounds like the lines should do the job.good luck

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Im not a braid person>

Change your evil ways! Switch to the heat! I am 100% 100# Power Pro with a 60# fluorocarbon leader. Braid RULES SC waters!

Bill in SC

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Thanks for the advice.I have a spool of the Cajun Lightning was why I was considering using it.Maybe 30lb would be the way to go.I
    would have plenty of line capacity on both big reels.I have a spool of 30lb Big game as well.

7. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Go Braid! Go Braid !:cool2:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If all you do is anchor, and you have money to burn, braid is not a bad choice. Go with 65-80 pound since the diameter is easier to tie and easier to untangle.

If you don't have a lot of money, or if you drift / troll, then 20 pound Ande mono is ALL you need. There is a lot better chance of getting tangled up with other lines when you drift, and braid is a PAIN to get untangled. You will end up either spending valuable time trying to untie the knots, or cutting it and losing expensive line.

9. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I fish entirely from the bank,and always used 20lb or 30lb before.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <. There is a lot better chance of getting tangled up with other lines when you drift, and braid is a PAIN to get untangled.>

I just don't see that Dieter. I find the braid MUCH EASIER to untangle than mono. As for "money to burn", I don't see that either. Braid outlasts mono probably 20 to 1. The initial cost might be higher, but the benefits are worth every dime of it! Heck, say you hang up the mono 100 feet out and have to break it off. It will break at the weakest point, but the whole 100 feet will be weakened by the stretching of it. Bottom line is that monofilament is NOT the best choice for catfishin', unless you are fishin' a completely snag free area. Just my humble opinion, and seems like common sense to me. Again, braid RULES SC waters!

Bill in SC

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I'm gonna have to sit on Bill's bench for this one. There is no better choice for line than braid. I use 80# with a 50# mono leader. Have you ever tangled with a 100lb. class cat? Well if you ever get the chance you will wish one of two things.
    ONE...."I sure wish I had 80# braid, this fish is for REAL!!!":eek:oooh:
    Two......."How much of this 20# or 30# mono can a cat take?"..............can you say SPOOLED?
    Been there done that:embarassed:, WON'T happen again!:wink: Love that braid!!!:roll_eyes:

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Have to totally agree with the Braidsters.I find braid much easier to untangle that mono,not that I tangle much with spinning gear.Secondly I use 80lb and for most snags can straighten the hook or pull the sinker off the sinker slides.My completely lost rigs rate has gone to virtually zero since I stared using sinker slides like my hero Capt Hugh on the James.Finally if you hook a 100lb class cat you wont be saying I wish I had 80lb braid,you will be saying damm it wished I had spooled up with the 160.!!!:big_smile::wink::smile2:

13. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Earlier this year I switched my heavier rigs (7000 sized reels) to 80# braid with 50# flourocarbon leaders. A couple of my reels had a few glitches so I ended up sticking a few of my smaller rigs back (6000 sized reels) back int the boat with last year's 30lb cajun red line on them. I've typically been setting out 6 with braid (4 live bait / 2 cut bait) and 4 with mono (all cut bait). In this time period I think we've lost about 4 fish due to break off, 2 were on braid and 2 on mono. All but one was in heavy cover and that one popped the 50lb flourocarbon at the boat. I haven't been lighting them up this year but my guess is we're catching 3 fish on the mono to every 1 on braid. Obviously bait and placement has more to do with that than the line itself but I'd still have a hard time saying the braid is outperforming the mono in any way other than possibly lasting longer. If you are fishing short lines in really heavy cover I would say braid has some advantages just powering the fish up. If you aren't dropping your bait directly into a log jam I think the cajun red line works fine and maybe even a little better. I fished 25-30 lb mono for years with some nice 40-65lb cats to show for it and I haven't noticed catching any more fish since I invested in the braid.

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Thank you for all the good replys.I guess Im gonna try 1 of each with the big set-ups and see what happens.I have never casted anything bigger than 65lb power pro.Can 100lb be casted from a bank situation?

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, the 100# is something like 18# mono. It will cast a country mile.

<If you are fishing short lines in really heavy cover I would say braid has some advantages just powering the fish up.>

That's basically what we do on the Big Pee Dee.

Bill in SC

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If your going to be connecting a topshot to your main line make sure that when you cast your thumb isnt on the spool when that knot comes around. Also make sure that the knot can flow smoothly through the guides both directions. If Im going to fish offshore /nearshore Il lput a 40# topshot on top of my 20# main line about 40' long. I tie a BIMINI TWIST on the main line then tie on the topshot with I guess its called a uniknot.

For Catfishing on the lakes I use 16# MOMOI on my 6000s and 20# on my 7000s. Never have had a fish break the main line. My 6000s have 6#s of drag on them and the 7000s have 8#s. Being on the bank is a differnt thing cause your dragging the fish into the shallows pretty much straight on, from a boat you can get ontop of it and pull it off the bottom. You will need a bigger/ stronger line due to not being able to get it off the bottom.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    80# - 100# line.....8#-15# of maximum drag on 95% of the reels catfish anglers fish with.....it don't make sense to me.

Whatever makes you feel good I guess. It's your money; I will spend mine on more fishing trips, more reels, better boat upgrades, and more time on the water. :wink:

I landed a 300# tiger shark on 65# braid....so my bet is that you will be just fine with 20# mono on ANY CATFISH YOU CATCH!! :smile2:

I have never seen a catfish that can spool me...not even close.

If having the "best" is the point, then why not spool up with 150#, 200#, or250# Power Pro??????

18. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Yeah,Ive caught 5ft sharks on 20lb line.These guys seem to be referring to fishing around cover.Im gonna start out with 20lb and a topshot and see what happens.Im fishing a big pond/lake right now anyway.Gonna take the kids out this evening with some crawlers we dug and some shrimp and maybe soak a bream.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Keith
    Ive used the Cajun red line for years and have yet to loose a fish from line breaking.........it is the toughest mono I have ever spooled and will continue to use it as long as it works well for me. I generally run 30 lb main with a 50 lb leader (also cajun). I do like to experiment with different lines and will try one for a season , not just a trip or two. For me.........I perfer the Cajun over the Big Game and will never use braid again for drifting due to line tangles. Everybody tells me that the Cajun line is bad to coil up.........maybe but my 2 oz. sinker takes good care of that. I do like the hybrid F/C lines and in the process of replacing all my braids with it. Use what works best for you for your situation and as long as you check for nicks and frays itll do the job.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <If having the "best" is the point, then why not spool up with 150#, 200#, or250# Power Pro??????>

Because the 100# Power Pro is the PERFECT diameter for casting! :) Bigger than that and casting issues can arise. Come fish this ol' snaggy Pee Dee with me Dieter, and you'll see why I use the heavy braid. I do 95% of my fishing in VERY HEAVY cover. Ask BassMassey how many times he got his mono lines broken at last years fishincamp on the Pee Dee, whilst I was windin' in the hawgs with the braid! :wink: I used Berkley 'Big Game' 40# mono for years, and lost a HEAP of big fish with them getting to the cover and breaking me off. Now, my landing ratio has increased dramatically since James turned me on to the Power Pro. I can lean on a big fish hard, often turning them from the cover. Again, if fishin' in open water, heck probably 4# test would suffice with the proper angling and equipment setup. The Big Pee Dee where I fish is a different animal than open water fishing like you guys primarily do. As for cost, AGAIN, the braid is CHEAPER in the long run as it outlasts mono at least 20 to 1. It's a no brainer from my standpoint.

Bill in SC

Bill in SC

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009