what do you think of this

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by richmondherperman, Oct 18, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    This is the z dam on the james river in richmond va. I know lot's of people like me that cetch BIG flatheads up and down streem of this but y not right here i found some pics surfing google. Wen i was little i would fish there and cetch little catfish might be flatheads they were just catfish to me little carp or some sort of sucker small mouth and i have seen people there with little shiners tell me they get bowfin,little flathead,brim,eel,gar, and everything else that lives in the river. So what do you guys think should i try it night or day what rig and bait. The current is so bad 15 people have bin killed there and even 300 yards down river you can get sweped away in the current from the spilway and it carves a chanel for a long long way down river.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...v=/images?q=the+z+dam+richmond+va&gbv=2&hl=en

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...kMkD1yJSC9V9J47dB4=&tbnid=2Eu7ofslSyvS9M:&tbn

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I'm just a beginner at chasing flathead but if that was the place I had to fish I would look for some breaks in the current and fish on the down side of them. Like wing dikes, big outside bends, downriver sides of points, anywhere that disrupts the straightline current, eddies are real good spots and if there is structure like lodged trees and drift wood thats a double plus. Another thing I do is look for large swirls of floating debris, sticks, garbage etc. going round and round. Cast right into these swirls. This is one way you can easily identify the change in current.

Hope this helps! Good luck :wink:

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I don't know if I would fish in a place that has claimed so many lives. If I did,I'd wear a pfd,even on the bank. Better safe than dead.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    look for some breaks in the current and fish on the down side of them

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i agree im not a big flat head hunter i fish mostly for blues but markj is a great flathead hunter check him out in the hi area

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    During the spring, the flathead's natural seasonal migration pattern is swimming upstream. When they get to a place like this, they are blocked, unless a flathead can porpoise itself up the dam like a salmon.

When they get there, they will see there is plenty to eat and will call it home for a few weeks. There it will feed on the various indigenous fish species like sunfish, shad, and whatever.

Don't worry about the current, it may look turbid at the top, but depending on the depth, it's pretty slow flowing down there.

I fish dams like that here in the SE PA areas. I have my best results in the spring and after a good rain.

7. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    The flatheads sahould be able to get up threw the opening in the midddle.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i can see why it has claimed so many lives! thats no place for children! like suggested look for slack water or eddies. mite try floating a bait around there too.