What do you think of this set up?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Apr 1, 2007.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    What do you folks think of this set up honestly,to light for cats?just right?Just this set up please i really need the help,all opinions welcome.Thanks.
    Ok here it goes:
    7'9 medium catmax rod
    Abu 6500 C3
    20 test i like the cajun red line its on all my reels

Oh and id say i wouldnt be catching anything but 20 pounds and under,im guessing,because i usually dont catch anything much larger then that.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That rig should handle cats upwards of 50 pounds. It all depends on how YOU play the fish... let them take line when they run, pump them back in, and don't be in a hurry. You do not need a winch truck to catch big fish.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    AwShucks is right on it.
    You have plenty of rig there...W

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Plenty of rig there if the boats off the jersey shore use 20 pound for bluefish 20 is heavy enough for most fish

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yep AwShucks is right on

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That should just about do it. I only wish I had an Abu 6500. I use a little heavier line, but it's debatable whether it's necessary or not. I'm still waiting for the big one.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a good set up it will handle most cats.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys i was mostly worried about the rod since its just a medium action instead of medium heavy. i didnt know if it would be to flimsy or not,but i also know when using circle hooks you want a little give so i didnt know what action rod to go with.

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you fish the Ohio River very much. Reason being, the 60 pounder in my picture was caught at Henderson, KY. You might want to consider going up to a Med Heavy with 30 pound mono line. You should be able to handle just about anything with that.

10. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Huh, I have the exact same set up:smile2: :wink: . Let me just say that I will never use anything except abu garcias 6500C3's and 7000C3's. & The catmaxx rods are the best rods out there in my opinion, unless you are catching 70 and 80 lb. blues consistently, then you may buy a Tiger rod. So I think you' ve got yourself one hell of a rod/reel combo. The only thing that I would suggest is that you buy a different kind of line, I love Berkley Big Game 25lb. test, try it and then id say you have the perfect combo.

11. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    not a thing wrong with that setup....all my reels have 15 lb line with a couple of the larger ones with 20 lb. caught many a fish over 35 lbs on the 15 lb line..just gotta play em right...dont horse em and set that drag. good luck

12. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also have the catmaxx rods. 3 heavys and 3 med heavy. I have rod holders on the boat thats why so many. The rods are great in my opinion. I also use abu 6500s but I now use 80lb braid. After having 30lb mono broken twice on the tenn river i switched. The reels will hold more braid and have yet to have it broken. When I get hung up i tighten the drag thumb the spool and jerk hard and it breaks but not very easy. i als use 14lb mono on my weight so it breaks instead of the hook.

13. catstalker1

catstalker1 New Member

State:
    california
    Around here in the colorado river there are alot of snags And rocks. I have to pull them out of. So I dont fish with anything under 50lb test.

14. catman lo

catman lo New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Sounds like a fine setup. I personally perfer 30 lb line for bigger fish (20lb. +) but that will do.