What do you think of this rig for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by field989, Jun 2, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    a bobber and under that a bluegill(sorry for the vagueness :big_smile: )
    or a bottom rig, with a egg sinker and a gill on the end of that,

and i got some 7/0 circle hooks and some 6/0 o'shagnessy, and maybe ill try cutbait

any suggestions welcome,

ill probably catch more channels but am aiming for flathead

i also have some anise oil, should i put some of that on a bait,

thanks Jeff

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    You might want to try an egg sinker on the heavier side. I use nothing but no roll sinkers. If you're going to float as blue gill under a bobber you'll want to use a large bobber so the gill isnt constantly pulling it under.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i have 2 big bobbers the first 1 is weighted and is about 6" long and the second 1 is unweighted and is 8" long

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jeff, have you checked our library out yet? some pretty good rigs described there. :big_smile:

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yes actually i was just looking there lol

but i was just curious to see what people thought of it

also on the cut bait should i make it like steaks or use fillets or just little chunks

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    For a float rig, I use a big cigar shaped slip cork. Tie a cork stop at the desired depth and I use a half ounce egg sinker to keep the bluegill down where I want it. A barrel swivel is used as my sinker stop, then a leader around 18" long is what I tie my hook on. If you want to catch strictly flatheads, then I'd use livebait. But if you just want to catch any catfish I'd stick with the cutbait, because it'll catch all of them. And for my bottom rig, I always use bank sinkers, so they won't roll. But generally the same idea as the slip float rig.

The anise oil wouldn't hurt for the channels, but I don't know if it'd work for the flatheads.

-Red

7. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    we always had good luck on just the head. we cut the tail off then the rest into thirds. (try to get first dibs on the head though) and hook them so the bard is exposed.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    did u mean barb?

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    for live bluegill, i'd go with unweighted floats so you can use more lead to keep your bluegill from getting tangled in cover.

I still haven't managed a flathead on a slip float rig. I'm fishing anchored baits using a slip sinker (2 or 3 oz no roll) held above my hook with a large split shot or a swivel. And, I'm using the EC wide gap hooks 4/0 (these are the kahles; but they're a wider bend/gap than O'Shaughnessy)

Shawn

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i bought some heavier sinkers today,
    i got some 2oz bank sinkers and some 1oz egg sinkers, i also have 1/2oz

them bank sinkers are huge lol

11. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea the barb not bard

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

yeah i was gonna say i didnt know what a bard is :big_smile:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jeff I have caught flats in the river with my bait under a bobber. I have caught them all within 5ft of the bank. I use a dumbell float I read about on In-fisherman. The sinker sits on bottom and the float keeps the bait up on the surface struggling.