What Do You Think Of Ohios New Length Limits On Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flat1, May 15, 2006.

1. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Do You Realy Think We Can Fish Out The Monsters

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You know since I read about it I was wondering about all the baitshop tourneys around zanesville. They are up all summer, most of the guys in them don't have any way to keep their fish alive to return them the river if they don't eat them. What my question was is do you think the DNR will start policing these shops to see if some people are bringing in more than one big fish per night?

3. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Well Skip I Think The Dnr Should Be More Involved The Shops Should Have To Report When They Have A Tournement And The Should Report How Many Fish Are Wayed In And What Size But As Far As The Dnr Doing Anything Idont The The Shop Owners Will Say Any Thing As Long As The Are Making Money If If Someone Did bring i In More Than One Cat over The Limit

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I deffinately think we can catch all the big ones out of the muskingum. Its divided neatly into 8 or ten mile stretches, Theres only so many places for the giants to find shelter. And I think too many people don't understand the odds against any one fish making it to 40 or 50 lbs. So they kill all they catch. Out of a nest of thousands of fry only one or two will make it to 40 lbs. And that 40lb fish might be 25 to 30 years old. It takes a miracle for them to reach that size. They do need protection just like bass have now. I would be all for turning loose all flatheads over 10 lbs. Just think about it, in 20 years we might have50 or 60lb average catches instead of 20lb.

5. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    yea the damn system on the muskingum sucks they need to open the canals or take out the damns so all the fish can migrate the way they should be able too

6. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    If you think about it, without this law the only way to prevent $$$ Lakes from receiving/purchasing trophy flats enmass from public waters is the law about the transportation of live fish. Granted, the poacher would have to be caught in possession of multiple trophy which is difficult, but a stiff penalty applied to a select few that were busted or a big fine to a $$$ lake should serve as a deterrence.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    We have a beautiful resource in the muskingum watershed. It absolutely can become overharvested. As technology and knowledge grows, as well as fishing pressure plus all that Skip says, these fish become somewhat easier to catch and less likely to have the time to attain trophy size. Look what slot limit has done for Bass, Walleye, Crappie, Musky etc... I think the law is fabulous and long overdue.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Interesting about these local tourneys. That could get a bit sticky. What if a tourney goes from 8:eek:o pm Sat. to 8:am Sun. Is midnight the start of another day,and could you turn in two fish over 35" ? How could you prove or the DNR prove, when you caught them?

9. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im glad to see them trying to preserve bigger cats where some states are doing everything they can to get rid of them, "flatheads anyways"
    i wish they would define "keep" a little better, last year on saltfork i watched a jugger catch a 44lber and one well over 50lbs, he even brought em down the lake and showed em to me, my first response was, "what are you going to do with them?"
    there answer was aww just show em to a few people and let em go
    well i watched them, and it took em a good 45 min to get the rest of there gear and jugs in while these poor fish just sat in the bottom of the boat out of water
    and even IF these fish were put back later, the 45 min that i know of and only god knows how long they were out of water showing,ma and pa and everyone else these fish had close to a zero chance of living
    i just wish the law said that the rest had to be put right back in the lake right then and there
    it scares me to think how many huge flatheads are killed, not to be eaten but by glory hounds who drag them around for hours to show everyone in the world "LOOK WHAT I CAUGHT"
    so my question is even if a officer catches some people with a couple huge flatheads, is all they have to say is, "just wanna show a few people then well put em back?"
    i know its a step in the right direction, but to be honest i bet more fltheads die to the reason i stated above, then by people wanting to eat them, and the answer is as simple as bringing a camara with you :(

10. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the new length regulation, but I think it is too
    high, 24 lnch would be better. In all my years of catfishing, (not the best waters), my largest channel was 30 inches (13 lbs.).

Catfishingham

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the new limits, and I wish they were even stricter.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats the scenario I just cannot understand. They are'nt gonna eat them and they wont bring even a disposable camera so they can get photos. I really wish there was more awareness of how valueable these big fish were and the need to release them. If the public thinks they have an inexhaustable resource this kind of thing will not end till none of us can catch one. I have an idea that might help spread the word around zanesville. They have a new outdoors writer at the TR and he is encouraging people to write,call and e mail him with stories of interest. If we all send him an email about it maybe we could persuade him to write an article on CPR of big flatheads. his name is Robert Loewendick. Can be reached at rrloewendick@yahoo,or regular mail 8670 West Pike, Hopewell Ohio 43746. Or by phone at 740-454-3379. If this is a good idea send him a message.

13. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    i am glad to see i am not the only one who cares about protecting are big cats i keep 2or 3 cats a year to eat and those are the 5 to6# and i hope the new limits help but you know alot of people dont under stand we have lost good fisheries already do too over harvesting i use to fish a small pay lake back home that held alot of huge crappie but people taking every thing the landed has destroyed the population if you get one 10 in your lucky

14. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    there was a guy at a hole i fish in middle town and he had three 20plus pound flats on a stringer and he said he was keeping them for his pond, made me pretty angry, they were all perfect specimens, pretty fish. i think it should be cpr on all flats ten pounds and over or 24 in. or larger, i dont keep any anyway.

15. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the info. i will notify robert. Everyone should write to him ,no matter where they fish.

16. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love the new restrictions. It is too bad they would not enforce it better though. Any of the waters I fish, it is rare to see any rangers/officers actually checking on things during the day let alone at night.

I run some catfish tournaments. The go from Saturday to Sunday morning and I have been asked about well if I catch one limite size before midnight and after can I turn them in. My answer is no. One fish per man of the limit or above. I will measure fish if they look to be close to the limit. That is how I do it. I am not sure about every other place that holds tourney's though. Hopefully they do the same, but not everyone think the same way as I do. Some places don't care as long as they get their money. I make nothing on my tournies unless I sell some sinkers.:cool2:

17. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio

what are the new length limits....not heard of this yet. if you get a chance post em

Ben

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This was the first year for the limits on channels and flatheads before we had no restriction on how many you could take home. For Channels 28 inches and over, 1 per day. For Flatheads 35 inches and over, 1 per day. That is statewide, There are no limits on the number of either species which may be kept if they are under 31 and 35 respectively.

19. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    There OK BUT:

If ya want more Flatheads in Ohio's Lakes we need alot of spawning structure added!!!!!

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    No restictions I believe on the Ohio River. See Ohio River & restrictions/limits plz.