What do you think is more important - the jig size, style, color or ?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mi11er, Apr 8, 2009.

what is more important with a jig

1. Size

2. Style (roundhead, roadrunner, football, etc)

3. Color

4. What you put on it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    In fishing for crappies: what is more important, the jig size, style, color, or what you put on it.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Fishing off from the docks on some of the local lakes I know size does play a very important part. Learned that from some of the old timers. 1/16 or 1/32 will catch fish when the larger ones don't. Then I believe color of the tubes or bait are next important. Doesn't seem like the jig head color always plays that important of a part but sometimes does.
    Seems like some of the best fishing comes with hand tied jigs. I think one reason they work better is that it gives the fish something new that they haven't seen before. What is your opinion?

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree that color does not play as much a factor as size. Depending on the fishes mood and how active they are would, IMO, would have more of a bearing on the size of the meal they are looking for.

As far as hand made jigs go, I don't know if they are just something different for the fish or if you take more pride in fishing something that you made. When you have more confidence in something you tend to fish harder and more consistent.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think size and color are the most important, with size being the most important due to the way the lure falls. I like to fish with the smallest lure I can get usually a 1 inch twistertail on a 1/64 or 1/80 oz. head

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You needed one more column. All of the above. Size, Color, Action in that order.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You are most definitely right. They are all very important. I was wondering if you broke it down, what was more important to you.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your using them in the great State of Texas, you'd better honk that color is the most important, no matter what your fishing for. LOL

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I would have to say that #1, the style of jig body (curly-tail, skirt, triple-tail, fork-tail, etc.), #2 weight (although imho all you need is 1/16 and 1/8oz depending on retrieval speed) and #3 color.

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Color and weight are very important crappie are moody and sometimes when they like a color they stick to it. If you dont have the right weight you will be at the wrong depth. If the crappie are not hittin as good, the presentation and style of the bait are going to play a big part.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm no pro but I think color and size are equally important but i voted color in the poll.

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya know it is funny, There are 1000 different styles of jigs out there. But, not one person in this ~not so formal poll~ voted for style. Maybe they were on to something when the round head jig came out.:smile2:

12. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I catch a lot of fish on jigs and the most important thing that I've found is the color has to be right and size is important too.

13. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think size first, then color, but I voted for size. Sometimes they won't hit 1/32, switch to 1/16 or even 1/8 and they're lights out. Same with color sometimes. I switch color if size doesn't work. Sometimes it's as broad as it is long, but most of the time there is that "magic" combination that they just can't stand to pass up.

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    My best luck with crappie has been with white jigs & curlytail grubs

15. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    it mostly depends if i'm jigging tree's or trolling structure, but i think size is the most important, because you can usually drop to the smallest size in your box and catch a couple of nojoes off the tree's if nothing else is biting.

16. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I'm a firm believer that all of the above in the poll are equally important when fishing for Crappie. They all have their place and time. I found certian colors will work better than others more of the time. My favorite being the red and white 2" tube,hollow body. Size I dont think has played as much a factor in my fishing but I now that a 3" chart. grub works great at night. Jig heads should vary by type of skirt, tube, hair or other, and in how deep you are fishing shallow shoreline cover or deepwater boatdocks or summer time bridge pilings. I use 1/16 to 1/8 oz. You want to select the size that keeps you in the strike zone and allows you to feel your bait all the time. Good luck catching.

17. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have to vote size. in my area color doesn't matter as long it is chartreuse or a combination of chart. and any other color. When fishing different depths and structure, as Dr. Ruth says, size matters.

18. makoman

makoman New Member

State:
    tulsa oklahoma
    I beleive the same you have to get size color an action all together. But I also believe when the crappie are spawning they will not be near so picky. Steve

19. LloydTheFisherman

LloydTheFisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only time I caught crappie was several years ago with a guy that took me out on a lake in illinois. We caught them with any jig we through in the water. He had a boat, and sonar the only time I had been in a real boat or any boat probably other than Busch Wildlife CA. It was a lake in Illinois and we caught crappie like crazy, have not duplicated that since.

At that time it almost did not matter what you through in the lake they were biting on it.

20. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Color has a big effect because one day it may be green and the next baby blue or pink they will hit i think it all depands on the color