What do you think about trying to make a record class cat???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Still_Waters..., Dec 14, 2008.

1. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard in a lot of the southern states were bass fishing is a huge deal they are implementing trophy breeding programs, a few of which are helped along by fishermen and women who catch "trophy class" fish, they call a special group of their dnr to come and get the fish, transport it, keep it healthy and use it to breed a "stronger strain" with more trophy sized potential. My question is how would you cat guys feel about trying to do something like this, granted we don't have a cheater strain of fish like Florida bass to use, but we could do something. I think that with a nice slot limit in place and some sort of similar program we could do a bit of good, granted it would be a long while before we saw a return for flatheads, but I think it be a pretty quick deal for the blues and channels. Well, let's hear what you think.

http://mc.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=136907 (that's an article about the trophy bass program)

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    in several souther states they are takeing steps toward that . by impementing the 34in rule of only one fish being keep over 34 in per person.

3. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio
    That's pretty awesome. I would like to see an actual breeding program though, tighter limits can only do so much, and only in places that are heavily enforced, but I think a trophy breeding program might give it a little more push to create a better number of bigger fish.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    IMO, Rather than breeding for size, they would do better to breed a catfish with the smarts to avoid being caught, as in many waters it's a rare fish that can evade capture for the 15-25 years required to reach it's maximum potential.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Breeding inteligent catfish. That would truly be an accomplishment. You would then have to start breeding the anglers to be smarter also. I wonder if a smart catfish would learn to make a "people finder" and just avoid us altogether.

Breeding for size would be a great thing in a controlled environment. I think a lot of other things would have to be involved for it to happen in the wild. A rapidly growing species of fish could harm an ecosystem pretty fmore than help. Of course, then they would be considered invasive and there would be "open season" on them.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, we wouldn't want to take it too far or they might start catching us.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I am in favor for it Ohio has potential for a world class shovelhead fishery and honestly why not develop you have good fisheries here the great miami, Scioto Muskingum Maumee licking and the Mighty Ohio river. these river could have the potential for a state record flathead just food for thought rick

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i say leave things alone.ohio already has a good cat population,a lot of lakes with good numbers and sizes of fish,and rivers as well.you start messing where you shoudn't playing with things you shouldn't,bad things start to happen

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not sure where you are fishing, but the catfish around my bait are pretty darn smart!!!!! They elude capture more often than not!

Now how do you propose we catch these super intelligent fish, don't they know NOT to bite the hook:big_smile:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dynamite :smile2:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Thanks for the sense of humor brother!

12. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio

Then what would you think about adding a few more regs, I would just like to see a few more nice fish come out of the water each year, even if it's just you guys catching them and not me.:wink:

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i think the regs now aren't too bad.maybe something like a slot limit that they do with bass might be something to think about.
    they have to make a balance somewhere between us catch anf release guys,and the guys who like to keep any fish of any size for food.the wildlife office is just in between and can only do it the best they deem possible.
    i myself would like to see nothing more than at least a fifteen or twenty pound fish being kept,all others above that illegal to keep,unless a possible state or world record fish :roll_eyes:
    but that will never happen because of the "other" people,lol

so i make due with what we got.and,to be honest,there are plenty of waters in ohio with very big fish,just have to learn the waters your going to.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I agree with Gary! That's how they do it in Europe when targeting carp in the 60 and 70lb class. The fish are really smart and some of these Euros stay out on that lake for days chumming and enticing the fish to bite thier bait.

I honestly don't think we have to stock selected strains of fish in order to get make a trophy fishery. It's all about catch and release! There won't be bigguns in the lake/river if you eat them:cool2:

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    catch and release works also limits for fish two flatheads a day or one fish over 34 inches will work I agree with limit regulation but you can not have every fish be caught too food for thought rick

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    OK< I have the final solution. We need to breeedm flatheads and make them a less tasty fish. That way humans cannot consume them and the only option is 1. Be a prick a kill it or 2. Let it swim.

Everybody knows that the most numerous fish are the ones that taste like crap.

17. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio
    I think a big part of things may be the forage base, what if along side of a few slot limits we find a way to pump in a few more shad/baitfish/forage, and help fatten them up, I'm sure the other game fish would appreciate it as well, and by game fish I mean bigger bait fish to you flathead guys.:roll_eyes:

18. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I live less than 15 minutes from Lake Fork, the lake that got it all started. When it first opened a person could catch numbers of quality largemouth bass. Then after a few years, a person could catch a few quality largemouth bass. It was not the slot limits, nor the attitude of the fisherman(no catch and release) that caused this decline. It was a combination of the fishing pressure, and the Enviromental Protection Agency (they overregulated all of the dairy farms around this area, which in turn caused them to go under). The pressure on this lake was unbelievable. In the spring time a person could walk across this lake, stepping from boat to boat, without getting wet. The dairy farms in this area supplied a vast amount of nutrients into the water, which in turn gave a million hiding places for these fish. That is now all gone. The pressure on this lake has not gone away, but it will eventually, because the quality fish have.

19. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Just too add to my previous post. I used to be a trophy bass fisherman. Now I am a catfisherman, and I enjoy that even more.

20. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input guys, I personally was thinking about trying to raise a few flathead on my own and put them a couple places, I know it would take a while, but I really wouldn't mind doing it to actually give back, instead of just let live, and I think I need to revise what I was saying, I realized I kept saying trophy sized, what I meant to say was record size, because any fish you get to the bank or boat is a trophy in my opinion.