What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jmanion8, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This is certainly not meant to start the whole debate of CPR vs. keeping your fish again, but I just wanted to share this picture with everyone. It's a picture of property owned by a friend of mine, they keep just about every fish they catch and do eat them. This is how they display their catches to the town...while I don't necessarily agree with their decision to keep them all, it's kind of neat to drive by and see the carcass from fish upwards of 50 and 60 lbs hanging there. Anyways, just thought this might spur some conversation...

Attached Files:

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    LOL I guess they never heard of fish head stew.Coll pic thanks for sahring them.

3. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    I don't know....:roll_eyes: I know a lot of y'all are going to disagree with me. I was raised to and strongly believe that you should show respect to the hunted. You track it fairly, catch it or kill it fairly, and put it down quickly (i.e. you don't throw live fish onto the bank or in a cooler to suffocate slowly, or let a deer bleed out slowly). Just like you ought to cover your deer in the back of the truck, you cover your fish. Bury your fish heads at a best case, or at least throw them in the trash at the worst case. In the middle of those two somewhere, if you're going to leave them out, at least leave them on the ground where the coons and coyotes can get to them. Don't leave them hanging out on the fence to rot and be eaten by bugs.

And please don't subject people who don't like hunting and fishing to seeing your catches and kills. That's a quick way to make people who have no opinions about hunting and fishing turn into anti's. That's the last thing we need these days. Just my opinions....

4. marcus22

marcus22 New Member

State:
    toledo,ohio
    i bet it smells bad by there. i would be pissed if i lived by them but thats just me

5. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I agree 100% .

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I totally agree with capn crunch,oh boy you know i better not comment here or i may offend some folks that havent posted yet lol.But i was raised like capn crunch theres just some things you just dont do,and around these parts thats not looked upon very highly.

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I too agree 100%!

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

IMO.They,re just giving the animal rights kooks more ammunition.

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'll certainly agree with you all, I don't think it's right either. It doesn't smell too good when that fresh carcass is hanging there covered with flies...:confused2: Anyways, thanks for the responses, enjoyed see in what ya'll had to say.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's a bad thing, It's not cool.

Danny

11. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    I agree it's not good to do that.They might be selling catfish skull heads.I know they sell all kinds of skulls here in Florida.People love souvenirs.

12. lonecatman

lonecatman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    guess they've never heard of selective harvest!!

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont really know what to say here. We as hunters keep a nice bucks head and display it on our walls. Maybe this is what they are going for, and I can kinda see why they would do it. But I personally wouldnt hang them on a fence. But to each their own, and I wont judge them for something that is not harming others. But I would release them big ones, unless i needed them for food. And i mean needed them, not wanted. SGT Shorey out

14. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's a pretty common practice in parts of Texas. I guess it might be distastful to some, but I really don't see the difference between this and a bunch of deer horns up an a barn (another common practice around here). I think a lot of it would depend on the area. For instance, in the extremely rural area where I live, I don't think it would be a big deal, but, if I lived in a subdivision around Houston it would be totally inappropriate. I am new to the whole cpr thing but it does make since and I intend to start (if I ever catch another big one). However, I really can't begrudge someone who keeps everything they catch as long as it's within the law. I would like to see some limits on the # of big cats you could keep per year, but, I would also hate to see our sport become so trophy oriented that someone who does keep a big one is looked down on completely. I've watched it happen to deer hunting in my life to where someone can't even shoot a small buck for meat without being looked down on because the deer wasn't old enough. We can become so sure in the rightness of our way that we can no longer see or listen to the other side. It is not my intention to stir up any controversy with this post, just wanted to point out that things may not always be as bad or as good as they appear to be from where we sit.

15. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    While I agree somewhat, I have friends who do this because it like their braggin board to other catfishermen to say see what I caught, I personally sont see anything wrong with it, no different than putting a deer head on a wall, yeah, people can see it from the road, but if they dont like it they can turn their heads or drive another way.

Chad

Just my own opinion, i am sure others will disagree with me, i personally practice Catch and release with large fish, but there isnt any laws saying you cant do this so until then you cant get mad at somebody doing something legal. If you dont like it do something to change it, take it to your goverment.

16. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with capn crunch on this one

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've seen that only one other time in my life. A guy had flattie heads like that nailed all over the side of an old barn... bet there where over 200 heads. I forgot about that. I was a teen when I seen it.

18. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    those look like flatheads and they missed some meat up on top of those heads

what a shame

later
    slider

19. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree. I believe that this is different than hanging deer antlers on the wall, or side of the barn, unless they still have the flesh on them. A well done job is a way to honor the animal, letting them rot for all to see is disrespectful.

20. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL
    Hell I wouldnt worry about it too much if they were my neighbors. It WONT be long before they wont have any heads to put up there because they thought it was cool to keep EVERYTHING......

People never suprise me.....