What do you think about the 17' Tracker

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Dadoftwo, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am looking into buying a new aluminum boat and was looking at the different models in the Tracker lines. I believe I am leaning toward the 175. Does anyone know about these and would you recommend one? Are they worth the money, what about stability and user friendly? Any info would be of great help.

2. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    I've looked at the Tracker line, all seem to be decent boats. For an all-around or catfishing boat I'm leaning toward the Pro Crappie model if I go with Tracker. If you have dealers in your area, Alumaweld and Polarkraft both have comparable boats. I haven't ridden any of them yet, but from appearances I think the Polarkrafts may be the best built of the three.
    Greg

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i personally do not like my bass tracker. It is an 82, but i think the bassboat style in an aluminum boat is a bad idea. They r too light for that type of boat and ride really rough.
    This is just my opinion, if i were you i would ask to dealer to take you out on a ride in one so that u can form your own opinion.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got a 17 ft deep V tracker magna(targa replaced the magna) and I love it..It is deep, it is stable, it rides good on the water, and it is real comfortable to fish out of. I like it alot and would reccomend any of the deep V boats.Not just trackers, but any of them.

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC Greg. I have Bass Pro 10 miles from home and the rest of boating shops have cut their inventory in half unless it is fiberglass. I owned a Triton 19 f/s with a 250 optimax. Now that boat was not only fast but extremely rough riding. The whole family and a few friends were scared of that boat so I sold it. Did not get much use out of it but atleast got my money back. Some guy came all the way down from Minnesota and fell in love with it. Glad he liked it because I only got it so the family could hang around on in to. So I thought. Won't make that mistake again.:smile2:

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I had a Tracker Pro 17 deep V with a 40 HP on it. Loved the boat but it could have used 60 horses. Very stable and great to fish from.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah I was going to say, make sure you get an engine that is big enough that you will be happy with.Going 20 MPH is okay, but after about a year, you will want something that will go 30, then you will want something that will go 40..LOL...Its like a never ending cycle..My 17 ft tracker has a 110hp on it, and it will run about 42mph..I think the maximum I could have is a 115.

8. tailfin

tailfin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i agree with riverking ihave a vbow alumicraft and i like just wish it had a bigger motor so when you get a boat make sure the motor will do the job :confused2:

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Uh-huh.

BassPro started this bass boat on the cheap thing, and I've never liked it. A jon in it's basic form is a workboat. It's a triumph of function, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All Tracker boats are manufactured by the fisher boat company, you may want to check out the fisher boats also.

11. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have a Lowe FS 175, which is basically the same thing. I love mine, it is swwwweeeeeet.

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I own a 1992 SV19GT (18 1/2 foot) fisher with a 2005 115 motor. It is a welded aluminum boat. It looks just like a bass tracker. All the decking and compartments in mine are aluminum. The boat is rated for 4 people. It fishes 3 comfortably. 4 starts to get to be a crowd. It is stable in the water and I don't think you could turn it over if you tried. One thing about a "bass" type boat though. They do not have a lot of freeboard and the transoms sit pretty low. Mine sits a little lower than I like, but maybe that is because I have the max size motor on it. You definitely do not want to get anchored or hung up with the rear facing up stream on a good flowing river. If you mostly fish lakes then it is not a factor. Plan on building or buying pole holders with extension. You sit quite a ways up from the gunnels because of the decks. Mine can troll and run on plane in water down to 12" with just me in it. Any less water and it will hang up. It needs 2 1/2 foot of water to take off in to get up on plane. It will get up on plane in about 5 seconds from a dead stop if you stab the throttle. I would have gotten a deep-V but I was worried about how shallow of water it can go in. To get into the river at Milford you have to go through water that is only about 12" deep sometimes. Overall I am happy with mine. If I could change one thing, it would be to have less elevated decking so I could sit down in the boat more if I wanted.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought a new Tracker Pro Crappie 175, 60 HP Merc 4 stroke about 4 years ago.

Been a fine boat, no problems. Had a couple problems when new. First time I used it noticed it was taking on water. Found a cracked discharge nipple on a live well pump, (need better inspections at plant). Also the start battery was weak, the dealer wanted to give me a hard time about replacing it for he said it was normal for the sonar/gps to run a battery down after a few hours.. BS! He did replace it.

Right after I got it I went over the edges of the seat frames with a hand grinder knocking off the sharp edges. I have a Kayot pontoon... the workmanship quality of Tracker doesn't come close to the quality of the Kayot but a Kayot is a bunch more expensive boat.

I added an on board battery charger for the Tracker never came with a charger for the trolling battery.

Overall, for the cost, the Tracker meets my expectations.

Attached Files:

14. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for everyones input. I would actually like a 1648 or 1754? but the cost of these aren't much cheaper than a full equipped Tracker 17. Decisions, decisions. Of course if it were up to the wife I wouldn't have one at all but she has already lost that battle.:big_smile_2:

15. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    allright barry go to the bass pro website, or the tracker website. and look at the people in the 175. notice how happy they all look. if it makes them all that happy then i would think it would do the same for you. atleast thats the way i think that it should work. but i guess if it was that easy trojans. would have a guy on there box that looks pretty dang stoked.

16. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    We have a 2004 Tracker Targa 17 wt with a 90 Mec. This boat has performed flawlessly and is more than we expected. We have been able to navigate and fish the same areas that we fished with our 14 foot Lowe with a 15 horse. Big waves and inclimate weather do not seem to be a problem for the boat. The boat has a 96 inch beam and is more than comfortable for small children and adults.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have a '06 Pro V17 and with me the wife, and three kids (ages 15, 13, 10) we are a bit cramped, but the boat feels very stable. We can move from side to side with very little rocking. The sides are tall enough that you don't' have to worry about falling over either.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an '01 Targa 17WT. I bought it in August. There were some minor problems but I got a good deal on the boat. I can basically take it anywhere my previous boat ('99 Tracker Pro Guide 14 footer) went. Extremely stable on the water. I've only got a 75HP on mine. I usually seem to top out between 31-34 MPH.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow, that is one heck of a boat ramp!!!! :still_dreaming: I'm very jealous of that!

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Bryan. We like it, had a floating dock before. Standing on it would almost make a person seasick in the summer time with all the boat traffic. Also couldn't have a boat lift on it. :wink: