What Do You Think About People Driving A Boat While Impaired

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ace, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Here in North Carolina if you get caught driving a boat while impaired.It it the same as driving a car on the highway drunk same fine loose their liences.
    The wildlife officer or lake patrol will give the person Breathlizer to see if you are over the legal limit.I saw them setup check points at lake acceses along Lake Wylie.
    I'm glad it this way because several years back two friends of ours were killed by a drunk driver a boat on Lake Norman.Just like autos and alcohol don't mix niether do boats and alcohol.If you drink stay at home and let us live.
    I wouldn't give one human life for all the alcohol in the world.

:thumbdown

:cat:

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    it shouldn't happen because of that reason

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree that it isnt right. Last summer my dad and I were fishing below the dam at Alton one night and this pontoon boat came flying up behind us and got closer and closer and about the point that I thought we would have to bail out of the boat I flashed the spotlights on the back of the boat at them. They slowed and verred off. To find out it was a boat full of high school or so aged kids and they started cussing us out for being there. Obviously they were intoxicated and they all had beer cans. Driving boats is just as bad as cars and can sometimes be worse. I dont agree with driving anything while under the influence and think that they should have harsh punishments for it all, hands down, no questions asked. But thats just my opinion!

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    laws the same here in cali drive a boat while drunk same fines etc. personally I feel they should make the dui laws on water and on land even tougher. nothing worse then a person driving after they been drinking. be it boat or car.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Ace. I don't have any respect for people who put my life and others in harms way. Evan after they get out of the boat and sober up. I still don't want to be around them. If they don't care about you on the water, why should they care for you off of it? :sad:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with you.

I don't think any law can be too hard on DWIs, in boats or cars!

Since we've lived on this lake they have been people run over and killed in pontoon boats by drunks driving a high powered speed boat.

I never get on the lake on weekends or holidays.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    If someone is drunk while driving a boat, they should be made to walk the plank. Over a stump field.

I have no respect for someone who would do that. None whatsoever

8. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I dont drink on my boat and either does anyone else.If you dont like it stay home.

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    stick em in a barrel naked with a trolling motor running in it

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Chris, I know this is off the threads topic (somewhat) but I just had to but in... A young lady was complaining about her husband getting drunk and buying one of those remote controlled boats. He got home, hopped into the bath tub and started it up. Then the screaming started. You know what a boat propellor does to fishing line... well imagine what this propeller did. He wasn't ruined as far as being a "man" goes, but he was kinda bald headed. lol

11. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I would like to see a mandatory 6 month loss of fishing and operating licenses/or loss of right to operate any water craft or vehicle and 6 month impoundment of watercraft for first offense. For second offense 12 months, 3rd offense lose 'em for a lifetime.

12. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    You have to get a permit just to learn how to drive. And, with several restrictions on it. You have to take a Safety Course before you can get a hunting license. Why should boating be any different?? Boaters are in greater peral, we don't have seat belts or crunch zones. Plus, if some fool doesn't kill us by running over us, we could drown. PFD's, you betcha.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I would like to see a law where you have to be 21 and have a separate license to operate a boat. guess it would just turn into another way for the government to tax, but I think its ludicrous that teenage kids that are never taught right from wrong much less how to operate a boat are allowed to cruise public waterways unchecked! oh and especially jet skis!
    get a dwi while driving a boat, and lose both yer boat license and yer car drivers license on top of any other fines. and visa versa!

14. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I hate to see another level of control by the Govt but something needs to be done...:confused:

15. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I think that any time you mix alcohol and machinery, there is the potential for great tragedy to occur. The penalties for drunk boating should reflect this, as should ATV operation. It's unfortunate that special interest groups like The Tavern League (WI) actively campaign against harsher penalties and lower blood alcohol concentrations.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    hang em, lock em up, call them bad persons

Danny

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Personally I am 100% against it.

Like I said in an earlier post, many years ago I worked as a cameraman for a local TV station and I covered a lot of drownings on area lakes and rivers. 80% of them were alcohol related.

The water is unforgiving. When you make mistakes on the water they can turn fatal quickly. Alcohol slows your ability to react and it also allows you to do things that you would otherwise not due because of good judgment.

Boating is bad enough already. Anyone who can afford a boat can operate one on public waterways. Adding alcohol to the mix just makes for a bad combination.

18. klail

klail New Member

State:
    Durham NC
    Just like idots and alcohol don't mix neither does water and alcohol. We have to deal with idiots and water, don't need to add alcohol in the mix.

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Take Away Thier Boating Priviagles And Make Them Set On The Bank (plus A Real Steep Fine) It's Dangerous Enough Out There Without The -idiot on The Water.

20. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I agree that driving a boat legally drunk is bad, but having a beer or two while your fishing is not bad. Sounds like a lot of people want prohibition to be reinstated. If your legally drunk then dont drive a boat, or car or whatever. But relaxing out on the water and having a beer or two isnt going to hurt anything, especially when you will be at the same spot for hours and hours.