What do you think about gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, Mar 16, 2007.

What is your opinion about gar?

1. I love gar - target them specifically

2. Whatever - just another fish I catch

3. No way - I hate those trash fish

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thought I would start a poll to get an idea of the gar fishing popularity among catfishermen. How many consider it a total trash fish, how many don't really care, and how many target them specifically. I have got some feedback on this but I thought a poll would work better.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never liked them .....Till I hooked one that was about 20 lbs ,and like carp I respect the fight it was fun . I would try to eat one also but havent caught one in a few years. However I wont throw them up on the bank like some folks do,they get released like the rest i dont want

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They can be fun to play with when nothing else is around, but they smell bad and after a couple, I get bored with them.

4. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gar are kind of a pretty green & give a good fight, however; they got lots o' teeth and are quite stinky. JMHO.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I usually catch a few of them every summer, and they are fun to catch but i dont target them. I cpr them just like any other fish.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would rather catch them than nothing. Big gar fight big. At a couple of my Ohio River spots when the gar move in the cats don't seem to bite though, hate that. What is this about them stinking? I have only caught them in the eastern part of the Ohio River and have never noticed an oder. Maybe we just had to much rotten liver on us. lol :confused2:

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    When I catch one, I break its snout an turn him loose. thanfully I dont catch many, but still I think they r th bully trash fish.

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't support killing these fish because they are trash fish. They probably have been swimming these waters longer than catfish have. Don't kill em unless you're gonna eat em. Although they may be a pain in the rear end to some people, I think they still should be treated like any other fish.

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I don't think I have ever fished for them but there is nothing like floating a baitfish under a float and watching that float torpedo out of site.

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have done that before for gar, and they take the float straight under and swim around for a while. It is exciting to watch your float disappear and reappear as the gar swims around with the bait in its beak. Once it swallows the bait then the real fun begins.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Leave 'em outa water for a while and they start to stink. They can be a good fight, and if you know how to clean 'em 'n cook'em they don't taste too bad. Don't taste like fish, more like gator, they have (cooked) a texture more like pork. I'll keep one every so often just for something different.:big_smile:

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    While they can be a pain when they steal the baits they are a worthy adversary and a blast to catch on light tackle.
    I detest the term 'trash fish", there are no trash fish in my opinion...W

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i really do not like gar. When i catch them they go on the bank to feed the buzzards and coons. This is on pvt water so im not messing with anyone elses good time.
    when i catch them on the lakes, i'll just toss them back. i have a buddy that wedges the jaws open with a stick to see them tarpon out of the water. I dont believe that is right becuz the fish will suffer. If ur gonna eliminate that fish from the water just do it quick and be done with it.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i dont like to see animals tourtured or killed either for ones amusement. just a waste. nor injuring one to starve to death and i dont like em ither but i just throw em back. if all anglers kill or throw every fish on the bank they dont want there would be a lot of p)$$ poor stinking fishing wholes with no fist in them. sorry if i offend but sometimes i feel a bit angry when i hear things!:wink:

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Thats pretty sketchy..They are just another fish... Breaking a gars snout then letting them go is no different than cutting off a cats horns then letting it go...If your going to release them, why not just release them, rather than breaking its snout..They probably end up dying anyways after you do that...That doesnt even make sense to me.

16. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i try to eliminate them from private waters. i feel i have the right to clean out the stock tanks and small lakes that are on our property of any fish that i feel does not belong there. Gar are one of the ones that i like to remove from the water. In the tanks i will remove all the Flatheads too, but they get eaten. We had been leaving the flatties before but they will eat all the bass, perch, and channel cats if they get left in there long enuff.
    In public water i feel that i do not have the right to kill a fish because i dont think it belongs there.

17. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    go catch a "ratfish" out of the Puget Sound. That is the truest form of a trash fish. Gives me the chills just to look at those nasty things.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oh i have no problem with what a man does on his own waters. i see this alot at lakes and creeks around here. wasnt pokin at ya.:smile2:

19. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i know, i was just clarifying for everyone.

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't stand them things!:crazy: