What Do You Spend a Year Catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Jan 4, 2008.

How Much Do You Spend Per Year Catfishing???

1. Less than $100

2. $100-$500

3. $500-$1000

4. $1000-$2000

5. $2000-$4000

6. $4000+

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ok, this is not a topic folks like to address. Why? Well, because we have to face the cold hard truth of how much we really spend!

So, take a few minutes and do some math. Add up the gas, bait, hotels, and ammortize the cost of the rods and reels and boat if you have one.

What do you spend a year catching catfish?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have not the foggiest,But I know I just spent around 500.00 on My lil christmas fishing trip with poisonpitts and my father in law ,but it was well worth every cent.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    MORE THAN I CARE TO MENTION. Most of mine comes through Junk boating equipment. If I just saved up to buy something newer than I am I would be much better off! I would guess 3500-5000 per year and I am only doing it as a hobby

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I only have a 12 gal tank on my boat but that's 36.00 to fill up. I go through at least 12 gal's of oil each year. Let's see that 10.00 per gal of oil and a gal of oil makes the amount I spend on gas.....way too much!!!! not to mention the gas it takes to tow my boat. New fishing rods, tackle, line, new cast nets. I need to find a cheaper hobby.....:tounge_out:

5. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Last year I spent at least $17,000.00. The majority of that was on a new boat.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Wow are you trying to get us killed. If our wifes got hold of top secret information like this we would make the papers.
    Front page headlines would read.
    Local area man beaten to death with a fishing pole. Catfishing forum topic might be to blame.:smile2:

This might be a touchy subject for some. My wife doesn't mind what I spend but i know lots of guys that get in hot water fast over spending money on fishing gear.
    I am going to have to say I fall somewhere at the top of your poll over the past several years.:eek:oooh: Boats are about set up like I want them so that should help that amount to go down. At least for a few years, I hope. :roll_eyes::smile2:

Thanks
    David

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Judging from the results of the pole thus far.....I'd say 83.3% of you have a serious problem and should seek counseling.:big_smile: Either that or I need to

re-think my career choice. The BOC is HARDCORE!!!!!!

8. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    If you want the total including boat. Last year I spent alot, since I bought another boat. On a normal year, I wouldn't even know how much. I fish all year long so that is alot of gas and oil for my boat.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Never really tracked it.. More expensive Items I want or need I usually try to hold out for Birthday, Christmas, etc.. Small items like line, katbobbers, I just buy when I need them.. Some items *could* be considered house items or other type items (lights, Rain Gear, Insulated boots, Snelling Vise). Primary function may be fishing, but I use them for various other things..

Also, Any "extra" cash that I may get for Birthday, side job, tucking a couple bux back now and again, whatever, I squirrel away for any fishing related stuff I may need to pick up (2 stroke Oil, above mentioned small items, etc etc). Most the time Im just buying gas and maybe some wax worms for gills here and there. I try to keep the actual trips cheap as possible...

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    FYI, I took the price of my new boat and all rods and reels and divided it by ten years and used that amount per year. In ten years the boat and gear will have depreciated to less than 10% of its new value.

The amount will surprise most people...it did me. :confused2:

11. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Doesn't matter at all! The money I spend on fishing is well worth every penny. If I am not taking my Dad, (he turns 85 in February) then I am taking some of my nephews or other people that I enjoy spending time with. I enjoy the solitude of fishing, the time spent out in the outdoors, seeing all the wild game along the riverbank, the birds, the snakes, the gators. I love it all. It is always better than a trip to the doctor. You get out there fishing and you forget all your troubles. Enough said!

don

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I threw up in the back of my mouth after doing the math on what I spend a year!!!!!!:crazy: With boat payment, gear, gas, etc. I was in the $4000.00 plus range!!!!!!!

J

13. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Like most of you on this forum, I’m pretty resourceful with my fishing. Catching your own bait, and keeping your rods and reels cleaned, and out of the rain.

It's important to me, to be able to fish without dumping tons of money into it. History will tell you that a man can fish without money, but he can't fish without time.

So if i have to spend my entire time making $, that’s only going to take more time away from fishing. :D

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    well it sure is cheaper than hangin in the bars :big_smile: :cool2:

15. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well a simple fun trip can easily be $100-$150, and a tournement can easily be $150-$250. Subtract all the tounement winnings (yeah right) and it all = less than my wife spends shopping each year. So I don't feel bad about it.:wink:

16. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Started fishing again last three years. Two new boats, all new gear, and boy I got enough for everyone. I would hate to add up the price, and especially have the big boss see the figure. At that I bet it is less than she spends on the grand kids. Isn't this what the retirement years is all about? Luck

17. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    That's a great question, Dieter, I've been asking myself the same question since I started fishing on a more frequent (almost weekly) basis. I'm thinking that it's about $100 (average) per trip. Then there's maintenance for the truck & boat, and then equipment costs. All told, I reckon it costs about $5k per year to chase those little fishies. But you definitely can't attach a price to the friendships and memories that you create. :big_smile:

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way more then the biggest amount you have there. But shoot after I quite smoking almost 5 years ago. That covers most of the fishing.
    This year looks like I will break the bank on fishing, New boat and all that goes with it, Then bought a new Tite-Lok 4 rod holder today. That makes a Pair of them.
    Then theres the new rods and reels for fishing,And then gas, Shoot I think I will go back to smoking drinking and chasing wild gals. :eek:oooh:
    OOh wait that would cause a divorce. So guess fishing it better.
    pete

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    All I can say is that is twice my annual income. lol Vern

20. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Not really sure This is the first year i have had a boat and 50 buck each trip out starts getting expensive when you start adding it up plus new rods and all other tackle. I vote 500- 1000 but it is probly alot more than that:tounge_out: