What do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by iowacatter, Oct 25, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey everyone,
    just curious as to what kinda shotgun you like to hunt with, as in Brand and size, also what choke tubes, if any, and shot size preference? I just thought it might be interesting to see how people vary and mabye even find something new to try.
    I have a couple of Browning Golds that I hunt pheasants with. I have one in 12 Ga. with a 26" barrel, and a 20ga. with a 26" barrel. I shoot imp. all yr long and shoot 4 and 5 shot.
    I usually use my 12 ga. but sometimes, the guy I hunt with, and I, will take our 20s, just to make it interesting:lol:!
    Thanks for veiwing!!

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I hunt Pheasents here in Kansas. I shoot a Benelli Legacy, 12Ga., 28in. barrel, Imp cyl choke. I prefer to run 3" Fiocchi Golden pheasent shells through it. I start the season shooting 6's later in the season I change to 5's and 4's as the bird feather up with the colder weather.

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brad, It seems like since I started shooting all 4s and 5s, I have had alot less wounded birds. I know what you mean about "feathered up":big_smile:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ive got a ithica3''12 ga pump my grandfathers browning auto5 20 and my favis a mossberg 410 pump i use the litl one for dove and rabbits

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    stan i use my dads gun he let me use it when i was 12 and i never returned it :lol: he saw it once awhile back but i told him it was the only thing besides his good looks i ever got from him and he wasnt get it back :lol:

its a 20ga franchi semi auto with 26" skeet barrel imp cylinder light weight dont weigh 3 lbs iv taken heads off rabbits in 30' and squerils outa the trees at 100' . shot 92 clays out of 100 before with it , i like it alot have even shot it from my croch to prove it dont kick i wouldnt recomend you do that with any other gun :lol:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Benelli super 90 in both 12 and 20 gauge. I still have my original benelli Super Black Eagle I bought for Goose hunting. It shoots 3 1/2 inch shells. I never shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells anymore. Too Pricey and I finally figured out if you can kill birds clean with the shorter shells so long as you don't take low percentage shots. I am a hunting outfitter in South America. All of my rental guns are benelli super 90's. They get shot between 500-1500 shells a day at wild pigeons and dove. So far after 8 years I have not had one break. I do put new springs in them at the beginning of each season, ($30). Some of these guns have had more than 200,000 shells put through them. Most of my clients bring their own guns. Most shoot Beretta Over and Unders mod 686 sporting clays. The berettas weigh in at 8 pounds or so which is heavy but the heavier the gun, the less recoil.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just got this year the browning silver hunter. As of now I have used it to win some cash at my first turkey shoot. Will be hunting birds later and maybe a duck.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a Mossberg 9200 auto loader with a ribbed barrel with improved, Modified, full, extra full, screw it choke tubes. I use the HS Undertaker screw in choke for my turkey hunting. I use it for all around game hunting. I also have a rifled barrel for that shotgun I use for deer hunting.
    My son just bought himself a Mossberg 935 autoloader, it come with a ribbed barreland standard chokes(screw in). I'm looking around for him a rifled barrel so he can have a great deer gun.

9. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I own and shoot a variety of shot guns. My go to gun is my Ruger red label over and under 20 gauge. I prefer the 20 because it holds a nice tight pattern and you can shoot it all day long. This has been responsible for the downfall of two pigs this season as well. I also own a mossberg 500 12 gauge chambered in 3". I use this for duck and goose hunting. I used this gun to take a deer in a shotgun only zone this year. I have two single shots one by Harrington and Richardson in 12 gauge and one by New engalnd firearms in 20 gauge. Both singles are great for long hiking trips because they are so light. They also keep you honest when shooting game because you have to make every shot count. When I use them I carry and extra shell in my hand and I am pretty quick at reloading them. If you are hunting game that requires alot of shooting then I don't recommend them. But if you are hunting areas that require alot of walking a not alot of shooting I would not take anything else. I beleive the gun is not as important as the amount of time you practice and hone your ability to shoot.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Franchi 28 gauge auto for small game & a Beretta 391 automatic 12 for ducks, geese, turkeys ect.

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Stan,
    Our bird season opens Here next Sat. Half the time the weather is warm enough to get By with short sleeves opening weekend. I hunt behind an Elhew bred English pointer so The majority of My birds come off points. (easy, close, shots) No need to sling big lead during the early season. I'm sure that up in Iowa its a bit colder for the opener.

Where about in Iowa are You? I have Kin up in Pella

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brad, I am about an hour east of Omaha, we have pretty much the same weather as you guys.

I know what you mean, we hunt with 3 pointers also, makes for nice close shootin' but I still like to use the heavier shot, I dont ALWAYS get them with the first shot:lol: .

Our season opens this Sat. Sounds like its going to be in the low 50s, and no rain in the forecast, we are hoping to get into them good in the morning, and see what the afternoon temps bring. I hope they dont all head for the picked corn stubble like last yr!

I still need to swing one of them Franchi's once, Ive heard alot about them. Thanks everyone for posting!

13. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City

Those Frachi's are nice My hunting buddy has one, I've carried it for a field or two. I still prefer My Benelli, I'll get an over under when I'm old(er) and can actualy shoot...LOL:tounge_out:

Hope you guys get into some birds on your opener. Are You all expecting a good season??? One of My buddys told Me Iowa was gonna have birds this year.

I HATE hunting when its warm out. Leggy birds are frustraiting.

14. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah, I think it will be a good one, the DNR says our numbers are down by 22% but you know how that goes! I have talked to a couple and they think that estimate is being on the conservative side. They are thinkin it should be as good as last yr, and the 2 I talked to, questioned the accuracy of the road counts! I have been seeing alot of birds, so we'll see! Thanks Brad

15. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Stan, opening day of Pheasant season tomorrow. I'll be out, how 'bout yourself? I have a Remington 870 12 gauge used for deer and pheasant. I also have a Winchester model 12 - 12 gauge and an Ithica/SKB over/under 20 gauge for bird hunting as well.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Benelli SBE with a mod choke, only time I take it out is when turkey season rolls around. As far as shot size that all depends on time of year and what bird i'm after so anything from 8's to 3 1/2" BBB's.

17. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Stan... i use a belguim made Browning auto 12 for pheasant and usually use 6 shot... havent got to here in GA but in Calif was great fun!! My browning was made in 72.

Karolyn

18. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Hi Stan, For MANY years I used a Winchester 1200 pump with an adjustable choke. Wasn't much of a gun, but after 10 years or so i finally got it loosened up enough to work pretty well. Used it on everything in size from quail to Turkeys. Last year I bought a new one & wife talked me into spending the extra for a Benelli SBE. It's a great gun, but I sure miss that adjustable choke. I used to change often in the field, depending on windiness, cover, & hot the birds were acting.
    I prefer #5 shot. Pheasants are a lot easier to bring down than they are to keep down!

19. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bill, I would think that they make a aftermarket, adjustable choke, for you SBE. My hunting partner, shoots one also. They are a very nice gun. His doesnt shoot as straight as my Browning tho! :wink: Thanks for the reply!:big_smile:

20. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I only have one shotgun and it's a Rem 1100 20 guage. This gun has been put through heck shooting doves down here every year. Every now and then I'll take a few ducks with it when we jump our pond before dove hunting. I've taken it to Kansas for Thanksgiving the last the years and done well with it on pheasants with #6 shot. I've definately put some shells through it and you can shoot it all day long. Haven't really needed anything else as this one has done all I've asked it to do. I'm gonna take it this spring and give it a shot turkey hunting.