What do you remember about your Math class?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by mtrimble, Mar 9, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I teach college algebra to incoming freshmen here at the university. 90% of them absolutely hate math. I try my best but they are really hard to get fired up about mathematics. What have your guys experiences been with mathematics classes you had in the past or present? Did you hate it? Was there anything your teacher never explained? Was there anything that you thought your teacher could have done better? Im just looking for feedback from the other side of the chalkboard since im hardpressed to get any feedback from my students.
    -Matt

2. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I hated math too, all of it. I was an A student and graduated with a D+ in Algebra.
    Several of my classes I had an average over 100%

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hated math, I failed algebra, I just could not understand it..If you took away algebra I would have been fine. .my teacher could have spent 12 hrs a day with me and I still would not have understood it, and I think it was because I found it so boreing I did not want to learn it.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also, that was 30 years ago, and I have never had a job, or situation that I needed to know algebra..Algebra is the main reason I dropped out of School, and got my G.E.D...Sorry to sound so down on the subject, but it brings back bad memories.:sad:

5. snifflucky

snifflucky New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I loved my math classes. Staight A's for me. As for the other classes, mainly English, I didn't do so well. C average in English.

I think I enjoyed Math for the end result. Working, and working to figure out the equasion, and seeing how I got the answer. It was kind of like a puzzle to me.

When helping my son with his math homework, I try to explain it in values he's interested in. Basics like instead of X - Y, it's if you had 3 four Wheelers, and you sold one, how many do you have? But that is a big difference from college, to grade school!!

I think there are only two kinds of math people out there. Lovers, and Haters. No in betweeners.

6. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    yes, i liked math in school. the reason is you only have one answer and no opinions. not like interpreting some dumb poem, in english lit. i now use my math skills on the chess board. the mate is there, you just got to find it.

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Right now i'm a junior in high school. I don't like math now because it's boring. My teacher keeps a mono tone voice the whole day, and he just makes it not fun. I liked math in 8th and 9th grade because my teacher kept me interested in math, and made it exciting.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    My experience back in college was pretty cool. The algebra prof. was more concerned with telling us how much he liked dolly pardon which always kept us crackin up. We actually learned something too! Now my chem I teacher was totally different. Reading straight from the book with not much explanation and i knew it would be tough when she started on chapter 10 saying you should know all of this (chapters 1-10)! Now that was a tough class.:rolleyes:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I don't give a dam what you do in life MATH is a part of it. It certainly shows in a vast amount of our current work force that it is not being taught properly or our youth is just to busy with their Ipods and cell phones. LOL!

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sadly I remember how to count. One two. Two eyelids slowly falling and- zzzzzzzzz.....

For some reason math never worked for me in a classroom setting. I dont know why but it never did anything for me. At home or work I crunch numbers all the time... building things, estimates... no problem. Get me in a school desk though and start talking math and I go right to bed.

Every other class I got fantastic stellar grades, but I had to take basic math class (competency 086) 3 times on Credit/NoCredit just to make it. Funny- I got it on my last chance.

Silly sidenote- I would have had it on the 2nd try- You needed 450 points to pass the class and by exam time (a potential 100 points more) I had 447 ponts already. So what did smarta$$ sal do? I answered 3 questions and turned the test in. I got 1 wrong. D'oh! [I guess I should not have slept through the mathematical statistics lecture either]

LOL- bro, I hope you find a way to make math work for guys like me. I dont know what carrot you could dangle in front of me to make it work but I'd just about try anything. Im fixing to go back to school in the next year to get a master's degree at the very least. I know math is onna be involved... and it scares thehheck outta me that Im gonna have to go at it again.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hated it. I think the teacher did OK for most of the other students did OK. My problem... I thought it was a waste of time for I couldn't see how I would ever need it. Maybe if he had explained how it was used in the real world might have helped me... but I'm not sure. I also dropped out of school in the tenth grade and enlisted in the USAF. In the job I had in the AF I soon found the need in knowing math. :sad:
    I got a GED before I would've graduated from high school.

Very good questions coming from a college teacher. Some of the ones I had didn't seem to care if anyone learned a thing.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I had a hard time with math in school! I didnt start to get it untill I took vocational subjects like plumbing mathamatics, carpentry,solar, electrical and building maintenance type subjects. Those teachers seem to have something the high school teachers didnt, that made math more interesting! If I knew what I know now though, I would have givin more effort to high school math! Math touches everything! Just think how many instances of math is used in fishing! Weights, line strength, gear ratios, spool capacity, fish weight, boat and trailer weight, prop pitch, displacement, mph, gph, bilge pumps, battery amp hrs and it goes on and on! Yep, math touches everything!

13. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    I WAS THE EXACT SAME WAY. I SURE LOVED WOOD SHOP AND WELDING. SO MANY NUMBERS WERE INVOLVED BUT I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THE SAME WAY IN MATH CLASSES. BUT I CAN STILL PUT 2 + 2 TOGETHER AND COME UP WITH 4.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here! i wish i could have understood algebra but it was like reading ancient chinese, it just never did sink in no matter how hard i tried. of course the school system that i went to wasnt the best in the world either. every class i was in we were told that if we didnt want to participate in learning we could take a seat in the rear and sleep if we wanted. i chose to sleep during algebra class:D best thing to do would be to give examples of how to use algebra in everyday life. after all these years i still havent had an instance where i needed to use algebra.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Best thing about algebra classes was Mrs. Montgomery! :wub:

16. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I always liked math to a certain extent, and did reasonably well in it. The only gripe I had was that when I was in high school the last math I took was in 10th grade (my fault). When I tried to start college algebra 5 years later I needed a little refreshing, which the teacher claimed she did in the first 30 minutes of the first class. That was it. I was lost from there so I dropped out and went back to Intermediate Algebra, which caught me up in the first couple of classes. It all came back to me and I felt like I wasted the rest of the semester in the class. I made an A, went back and took college algebra and made an A in that. I just felt like with a little more time on review I could have saved myself the trouble of Intermediate, being I didn't really need it and it doesn't count for anything in my major. Also, I just found out the other day I have to take trig, so I've got that to look forward to. It's all that's keeping me from one degree, although I'm currently working on a different one.

17. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    HATED IT!,but thank God I learned enough math to balance a checkbook.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Danny did he even try to explain how to measure the Circumfrence of that :) :)

19. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Math????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Why do "I" need it? All I need to do is figure a check book or today a credit card bill. How many times have you heard that. Don't just teach it, teach how we use it.

20. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No problems with math, geometry or algebra. I had A's and B's in those classes through High School. I didn't care for the classes, but I can't stand to lose or fail at anything, and that pushed me through those courses. Now Calculus kicked my but in college, took me two tries to pass it. I think it was a combination of a poor teacher and I had lost the drive that I had in H.S. I really liked my Physics I & II classes though. More interesting and hands on with the labs involved.