What do you recommend

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by billNpam, Jan 4, 2010.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been wanting to try metal detecting but I do not know what I need equipment wise. How about you experts sharing some knowledge on what to look for in buying a good metal detector. Of course I would like to keep it under 6 hundred dollars if possible. But I dont want to POS either. School me please!!!

2. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill there are a lot of good detectors out there. Don't be in a hurry to buy. I have a White XLT. Great unit. There is a dealer in Florida that sell trade in and reconditioned units. I can't think of their name at this time. I'll see if I can find it.

4. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    I have a XLT also,,,was a rather costly but worth it,,,,my first years and years ago was a bounty hunter...also have a Fisher 1280x for when I used to SCUBA Dive....both were over 800.00 when new...

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm thinking about getting a detector myself. I dive so it would be nice to have a waterproof unit.

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've had a garrett gta1000 for several years and its a great unit easy ta use, i just got my daughter(she's 7) a garrett ace 150 for x-mas so now we'll both be out this spring. check out the garrett website or another good site is kellyco for detectors, infact i bought all my detectors from kellyco.com

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That Fisher looks good, but having never used one, I don't have a clue. What features should I look for? What's the difference between an 8" scanner and a 10" scanner? How deep do they search?

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    this gives ya some details on the coil differences, http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/searchcoils.htm depth all depends on the ground conditions. after a good rain when the ground is soft is the best for max depth. i've never used any of the underwater detectors but i've heard the fishers are nice. depth also depends on the size of the target, bigger targets can be spotted a couple feet down where as a coin might only be spotted a foot down all depending on the size of the coil (bigger coil will go deeper), my detector would pick up the gas pipeline that ran thru my parents property and i would think(or hope) that was down at least 3'

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lenny thanks for posting the Kellyco.com info. This is the company I was referring too.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi billnpam.
    You got a lot of good advise from all the other guys, so I will just add little more, I use a whites 6000 PRO XL and I think I paid around 500 hundred dollars for mine. and I like it because it's light wait, simple to operate, and easy to ground balance. one tip I would give you though, is when you decide what detector you want, go on line to Kelleyco detectors, and they will beat any ones price by a hundred dollars on a new detector, and they carry all makes and models of detectors. and they will ship it right to your house, and they all will have the factory warranty. you don't have to buy the most expencive, but you sure don,t want to buy cheapest ether. OH and one more thing,If possible keep the box that your detector comes in that way if it ever needs to be shipped back to the factory you will have the box to ship it in. I learned that one the hard way.

11. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    The only reason I did not find any gold like the DFX guys I hunted with, is because I refused to dig up pull tabs to get them. The 3300 has only 4 tones and 199 increments on the LCD. The DFX had, as I remember, 190 increments and 190 tones. The DFX is much more robust in it's ability to sound off on discreet frequency changes than the BH 3300. I must say, though, that if you wanna get the treasure you gotta dig the holes no matter what the machine you are using happens to be or what it says is in the ground.

The bottom line, more expensive is not always necessarily the best. I have used an ACE 250 and it is a nice machine. I like my 3300 better though.

My user name at TreasureNet is Blind.In.Texas. I have over 1200 posts, but, if you want to scan through a few of my posts you will see the kind of stuff you are likely to dig up.

A few words of caution about beep sticks: The reasonable expectations for keeper items dug from the ground is 5 in 100, IMHO.......I joke you not. No matter what machine you use, they are all built on the same frequencies, some just use better components than others. Metal NEVER lies. It is what it is.

The ratio of keepers to trash items will vary based upon location location location. Detecting is just as complicated as fishing when it comes to finding the lunkers. Look for Dimeman too. He finds a ton of cool stuff all the time. Bdoo does too and Nana40. Check em out.

My beep stick was $130.

12. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I got a Bounty Hunter about two years ago. I was a mid to low priced modle compared to some of them. I had been interested in metal detecting for a long time but I didn't know what detector to get and I didn't know any one personally who was active with one. The years went by and I asked a few questions now and then on forums but I couldn't make up my mind. Finally I got the Bounty Hunter at a closeout price and I bought it. Best thing I ever did. Not that its the best machine out there or anything like that. But it got my out looking and thats a good thing. I haven't found anything of real value yet. But I have found coins and bullets and all manner of junk. I think the main thing is to get started and find out what its all about. You can fine tune your your equipment when you know more about it......

13. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    You are so right , that is best advice anyone could give. your not going to find the good stuff unless your diging all the good Clear sounds. My first detector was an old 77B Compass with no de-crimination at all, it was one of the first detectors on the market, and I found lots of good stuff, but I dug a lot of junk to. My secret to finding the old stuff is hunting construction sites where they have removed old buildings or homes and they have removed all are most of the stuff on top, that usually gets rid of most of the Junk targets on top and gets you down to virgin ground, By that I mean ground that has not been detected to death. and your so right about the depth of of your finds. every thing I have found has been found at a depth of from the top of the ground to six inches tops. and I just Can't make my self, Dig in a park are around a new school.

14. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    217 pages views.

Here is a friend of mine's web site. The guy is dang good with a DFX. Make sure to visit his 'Tips' section. I have hunted with him many times and I was there when he dug the Buddha pendant and a few other pieces of the jewelry.

I still remember the surprise on his face when he pulled up that Buddha.

www.thebeepgoeson.com/index.htm

15. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
  16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi their Blind in Texas, I recognize That photo in your album of the Wind turbines, that's just past Mojave when you are going toward Bakersfield. I have seen them many times.

17. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    I absolutely love West Texas. It is my favorite place on Earth. I am glad we have some familiar terrain in common. The large white point in my albums came from Bakersfield.