What do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by PTDixieGal, Aug 13, 2008.

What kind of reel do you prefer for catfishing?

1. Spinning reel

2. Baitcasting reel

3. Spincasting reel

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    What kind of reel do you prefer for catfishing?

2. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I'm more likely to use the baitcasting or spincasting reels when I'm trying to go deep for catfish. I also have one spinning reel, but I usually use that to fish for baitfish like bream or crappie.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I got bait-casters only:tounge_out: shimano 400's, abu 6500's, 6600's, 7000's, 7000 c-3's, 7700sx,.....all are good reels!!!

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I'm mostly on smaller water up here, most places I fish I can put a half oz sinker onto the far bank if I really wanted to. Thats with light/medium spinning gear, 6-7' rods,12 - 20 lb spectra braid.

Spinning gear is so simple my 2 fishing partners (both 50+ ladys with health issues) learned to use it first time out. And both have landed fish in the 5+ range in the first 2 weeks they had their rods. Love to listen to my wife casually cast her line up & out, shsswing, plop as it lands 3/4 of the way across the river.

Match your gear to the size fish you can reasonably expect to catch most often.
    If thats 1 -20lbers, then spinning gear can be expected to do fine.
    If thats 20-60lbers, then you might be better off looking at big gear that can handle the load.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use both ...spinning reels and baitcasters. I can cast my spinning reels further and sometimes enjoy not backlashing. However I do enjoy the clickers and free spools of the bait-casters. My newest spinning reel from Okuma has an auto bait feeder and can hold 520 yards of 20 lb line.....I think this is my favorite reel now.:big_smile:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I dislike heavy tackle. Quality baitcasters like Abu 6500/5500 series have more fish catching horsepower per ounce than anything else out there.

I do fish with light spinners quite a bit, too, though.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Quality baitcasters like Abu 6500/5500 series have more fish catching horsepower per ounce than anything else out there.>

Spoken like a man who's had much experience! You da man!
    BB in SC

8. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have to agree with Bill on matching your gear to the size fish you can reasonably expect to catch. In smaller waters I like smaller spinning gear but in the Ohio River I prefer baitcast due to the fact it gives me more cranking power in case I need it. Don't get me wrong though, I have used big spinning gear in the Ohio and never had a problem so with me it is just personal preference. The key here is what Bill said, match your gear to the fish expected...the end result is increased fun when fishing...

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have both but prefer the ABU 7000c3.

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I am a Spinning reel person by choice! I do and will continue to use Baitcasters as well, but will grab a Spinning reel FIRST! The question of Cranking Power is not a factor for me and the ability to move a fish from a location with either is of little consequence. I will fish with any reel that I happen to put my hands on, but I ENJOY the options that Spinning reels provide more! JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like baitcasters best. I use abu 6500c3's

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I'm probably the only person in the world that can birdnest a spinning reel. I've even managed to throw a half hitch around one of the line guides in the middle of a cast :eek:oooh: so it's baitcasters for me.

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like my Penn's in heavy wood , I like my ABU'S 6500c3 and 7000c3 pro rockets in deep holes and slip corks and some times I'll use spinner's on slip corks and bait fishing and I will use my depth masters line counters in stright down fishing. In all I own 42 comb's so it's a choice of where i'm going to what i use

14. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Baitcasters work the best for me.

15. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I own all types of reels, but prefer the baitcasters. Been using them since I was 9 years old. I use spinning reels and spincasters for catching small fish like bluegills and skipjack.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I started out as a kid ( as most of us do :smile2: except for BG :eek:oooh: ) using a zebco 202 then graduated to a zebco 33. I made the mistake of buying a spinning reel and tried to use it for catfishing. I used it twice and through it in the river:eek:oooh:. I switched to baitcasters and have never looked back. Some people still swear by their spinning reels but to this day I still can't throw one.

17. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I like my Penn baitcasters, but I always bring my Baitrunner/Ugly Stik combo with me when catfishing... so I guess it's "mostly" baitcasters...

18. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Usually, my rod/reel of choice is my Shakespeare Tiger Spincasting rod/Zebco 808 Magnum. However, the Zebbie was giving me trouble when I went fishing Tuesday so I set that combo aside and switched to my Quantum Rhino/Shakespeare Synergy 20 (my spincasting reel). I was in an area that had a lot of oak trees around and I was trying to fish off the bank. Since there was a lot of trees around I decided to try something. I thought, "What would happen if I cast sideways, like you do when you use a spinning reel?" Result: NO PROBLEM WITH THE TREES!

19. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lmao :smile2:I would of loved to seen that done:roll_eyes:

20. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I fish with both spincast and baitcast. I prefer the baitcasters and own 4 now. I just bought a Penn 309. Didn't like it at first but it is growing on me now. It's built like a battle tank. Can't wait to try it out at the river. My Abu is smooth as silk and cast like a dream when I need a long cast. The Penn doesn't do bad. I'm sure it will get better with more use.