What do you prefer Rivers or Lakes?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Jan 7, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a die hard river fisherman, very seldom do I fish a lake for catfish..When I do fish a lake I feel like something is missing, "my chance to catch a big fish" :D Really I can read a river and tell where the better spots are, on a lake I am totally lost.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    To tell the truth I like river fishing a little better. But right now I moslty am fishing a lake. I love fishing for trophy channel cats in the rivers around here, we dont have many big blues in the rivers yet. And I love blue's so I started fishing Lake Gaston, it's real hard from the bank. Because it's a huge lake, and hardly any shore access at all. There is some big ones in there though. And we are getting better at it.

Seems like river fish fight better too though.... :confused:

Zakk :)

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jack, due to the fact that I live a dozen miles from the Ohio river and that the closest lake of any size is over two hours away, I mostly fish rivers. I have the Ohio, the Kentucky and the Little Kentucky all within a dozen miles and they all have some good catfishing. In my opinion the bigger the river the more abundant the big fish. Not to say that there are no big ones in smaller bodies of water, just that they are not as abundant. The small feeder creeks do have numerous numbers of channels and I primarily use them to gather bait more than for catting. Although when the back water gets in the fields and such around here during prespawn the flatties go nuts chasing bait in the backwater shallows. When this occurs you can be very productive using a smaller boat or bankfishing. I've never had the opportunity to properly fish a large lake, but I do plan on giving it a try in the near future. Vern

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    rivers hands down, but im starting to get the hang of reservoirs. your right there is something missing. i can feel it. my mom has a freind who is a "mystic", or a WITCH if you want to call it that, her and i were talking once about rivers and she explained to me how rivers and/or streams produce an invisible energy field near them from the current flowing. think of a piece of wire with electricity flowing through it. as the the electric is flowing (current)it is also creating a field of invisible electric around the wire. you tap into this when using a clamp on multimeter (clamps on around the wire without removing insulation)to get electrical readings. same principal. this may sound a little crazy, and beleive me i think she is sometimes but i do "feel" something around rivers that i dont around lakes.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I like rivers because thats what I got! I can be at the river in 15 minutes, from where I live and that opens the door to a thousand miles of delta waterway, up to and including the pacific ocean! Kind of hard to beat a river! I am sure I could adapt to fishing a nice lake with trees and a cabin or houseboat though! :cool:

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am so good that it really doesnt matter. Rivers, Lakes, Ponds, 50 gallon drums, a rain puddle..... I can catch cats anywhere! :0a32:

Truth be told, it's rivers for me. I get nervous in my boat on the river when its rough though. There are days when I wish I could just be in a nice quite cove on a lake waiting for my rods to go down.

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Its not even close for me. Rivers are definately my favorite spot. Of course I live in Pittsburgh and there are three rivers two miles from my house. Any way the lakes around here are not very good until you go up north about a hour away. In rivers you never know what you are going to catch if you are just fishing for anything. but in lakes it seems that you will only catch a couple of different species at one time. Plus the rivers hold the really big fish. The ones that I am after.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rivers are more exciting, fun to be on to me. They seem to go on forever with many different types of scenery, terrain, conditions. Had a many good times fishing, camping on the river. I stop fishing rivers as much cause of the pollution/trash. Some of the cats I had pulled out of the river in my area, I was almost afraid to touch them. I can go 20 , 30 miles down river and it seems a little better.
    Since I got my lake lot many years ago, I love fishing the lake. It seems to be cleaner and the cats taste much better and we have no warning on how much fish we can eat from my lake.
    Being a 19K acre lake, their are many types of conditions one can fish. When in boat I will go to a 2 acre wooded island, which is cool to spend the day on fishing/swimming. We have some very large fish in our lake and huge turtles. I fish for eaters and maybe throw out a line for a huge fish now and then. My lake is also much closer to my house. 15 minutes of driving and I'm there another 10 and I'm at my lot. I guess all considered, now days I like the lake I fish on much better.
    Its all fun

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow. Sorry to hear that. Who-Dey!!!!! :D

10. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well I'm sure the river would be the best place to catch the trophy cat around me, I'm limited to the bank because I don't have a boat. I fish small conservation stocked lakes and I am very satisfied to catch good size eaters every chance I get. My brother-in-law just got a boat this past fall and I'm looking forward to the chance to fish the Mississippi and Missouri rivers this summer.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    For me its hands down i love to fish the river. With a lake they can be so big that you might have to wait a whole day for a channel, blue, or flathead to find for your bait. Also i dont have a boat so that takes out lakes. With rivers i can can read the rivers and tell where the drop offs are and where theres a chance for big cats

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If the fish are biting it doesn't matter to me. I have had my best luck in the river though.

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I grew up fishing lakes, and I am used to them. I just started fishing rivers, and really haven't formed an opinion on them yet.

Ray

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    for me i like the lakes the best. one lake i go to is just trout basicly and a 10 mph speed limit love that place nice trout in there i can go just above it and go for trout salmon cat bass panfish you name it and dont have to travel all over it either. the other lake i like to go to there are all kinds of fish and its all good fishing too. to me on the lakes here the cats are cleaner then the ones caught in the rivers. where Deltalover fishes on the delta its about the same distance for me to go there as it is to go to two of the lakes so most of the time its lakes for me.

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    backwater riverlakes for sure. technically speaking i guess thats still part of a river eh? rivers and bayous for sure hands down.

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've mostly fished small Ozark streams and lakes. Decided to start big river fishing last summer to do something different. For a long time I avoided big rivers because of the pollution but they have reduced the pollution a lot in the Miss. & Mo. in recent decades and the fish are safe to eat again especially if you stick with the smaller "eaters". The larger fish still have a lot of chemicals so its best to CPR them.

17. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    If i have to choose between a big lake and a river id choose a river but if we are talkin smaller lakes like 10-300 acre lakes ill go with lakes.my biggest cats have came from what would be considerd small to medium sized lakes.but i do agree that cats can be really tough to catch from a lake compared to a river where cats are more abundent.

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with Deltalover:

Give me a river anyday! I too live near the California Delta & fish there often. I know that I woundn't pass up a fishing trip on a lake, but it a river for me.
    :0a23:

Bert :cool:

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well by the looks of things, I think we all love fishing, be river or lake.
    Just a matter of body of water we like best. Like choosing a favorite bait. :D

20. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    i would definatelt rather fish a river any day, theres a bigger variety of fish and bigger fish at that. i can just go out there and spend all day. but i live within walking distance of the mononguhalea river and i fish it just about everyday.