What do you need to buy an outboard from a state that doesn't have titles?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kitsinni, Jan 16, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From what I have read Ohio requires titles for outboard motors, is that correct? So if I buy an outboard from a state with no title what do I need to get to make sure I can title it in Ohio?

Ohio requires some damn title or fee or license for everything. I even had to register and get a sticker for a kayak :confused2: Not to mention you have to have your paper registration with you at all times ... kayaks and paper ... genius!

Wasn't sure if this should go in Ohio or boats, figure the Ohio brothers would know for sure though.

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I was told one time that in the stae of ohio you have to have a title for anything over 10 hores power, but if you were to google it you might find the answer to that Question:confused2:

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I checked ODNR and you are right 10 HP needs title. No wonder you see those 9.9 HP motors. I says to get the title from the previous owner or call a phone number for more info but couldn't find info about motors from states with no title. Called em but they are closed.

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    geta 9.9 sticker and slap it on the side of the motor lol:smile2::smile2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    For an Ohio outboard title, you simply need a bill of sale and a picture of the plate that contains the model/serial number. They will make you a title. It really is no hassle. I have done it just recently

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Not sure about Ohio but here in Arkansas they register the boat. Brother gave me a boat but didn't have a title. All they needed was the hull number off the boat and they ordered a title. Probably all you need is the serial number of the motor and they could title it. Hope this helps.

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Would that be a bill of sale between me and the person I buy the motor from, or the original bill of sale that came from a dealer?

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You think they would notice if I got a 275HP Mercury Verado and put a 9.9 sticker over it?:smile2:

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i wont tell bro:wink:

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    bill of sale from the person you bought it from will do, just date and have him sign it, thats all you need

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You aint seen the guy I bought my boat from!!! I aint dating him just to get a title!!!:wink:

12. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio

Now thats some funny stuff right there.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Yep, you and whoever you bought the motor from