what do you look for?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bw69r, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what in your opinion makes a great fishing spot? what are the main things you look for when searching for a new fishin hole? water depth, current, structure, etc,.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    As a general rule, deeper is better! If you are fishing for Channels, you want a decent current with plenty of bait fish available. Some deep water structure will greatly improve your chances.

For Flats you want thick, deep structure. If you think you will get a snag, then its the best place. Flats like slow current that borders a nice strong current. This allows them to lie in that deep structure and ambush other fish as they cruise thru the fast water.

The Blues are very similar to channels. They like a good current. Again deep water is best. The Blues will lie just beyond the ledge/edge of that deep hole in the ambush postion.

3. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Brian,
    I look for extreme changes in depth (15ft drop to 30 ft), good structure ( sunken barges, trees, big boulders that have fallen off hillsides into the river ect.), I also like to fish where there's a creek that feeds the river, there's going to be baitfish for sure, so cats will find easy food. I love fishing dams as well, find a wing wall or where the current eddys. I have caught nice flattys in 5 ft of water up to 50 ft of water, so I think structure and ambush areas are the key to success. Hope this helps
    Jason

4. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    I agree with socex, most predatory fish, whether its bass, muskie, or catfish all need some type of cover and/or ambush point. On top of that, if you are fishing a river, look for current changes or breaks. Often times a current break will not only provide a resting place, but it will give that fish a place to hide, like behind a log or boulder, or beside some type of dam or bridge structure.

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    drop offs shallow to deep and no crowds

6. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    amen.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like a hole with a mix of shallow and deep water with some kind of structure in between and some slight current.
    I like it clean and quiet too. If I see an empty chicken liver container I usually move on.

8. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Right now the only way im finding fish is CURRENT BREAKS ! .. but then again this Spawn Sucks !

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    deep water

adjacent to shallow water

and structure.

10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok, keep in mind I'm a novice! But I do have the following experiences.

* I've tried like 5-6 different spots in the last month or so, with most being very unproductive

* Fishing the Tailwaters of the Kinzua dam (alleghany river), the water is a little cooler and the catfish density is definitely low. I've been places where you almost can't NOT catch a catfish, good place or not. Up here, you either have a good spot OR your not getting catfish!

So I emphatically agree with Shawn! Current breaks and specifically large eddy's. for a while I thought- well there are current breaks on each shore of a river- NO, You need a spot that concentrates most of the rivers flow against a eddy of relatively low velocity.

You ask this question sometimes and you get an large list that seems to include nearly the entire river; I've tried and NOT produced

at Bridges, Confluence of two rivers, Large boulders, Deep water, some riprap, Downed trees, shallow brushy flats, and the hole immediately below a dam (both a very big one and a smaller one).

I think that that the last miss need taken carefully. My most Productive Eddy is below the major dam; and I think the fact that the dam stops upstream migration makes the tailwater section better than easily the next 12-15 miles of river (even though technically, imm. below the dam is the coldest). But IMHO the catfish below this dam would really sit in a eddy a few 100 yards downstream that the boiling water of the dam.

I've tried enough unproductive spots; I'm kind of getting gun shy about looking! it sucks to be at some new place, not catch anything in 5 hours and think "I wonder If I would've caught something at my Honey-hole??"
    Jason

11. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Jason,

don't be afraid to try and move around. scope 3-5 spots relatively close and dedicate one night or morning to try them out. Remember though if a new spot looks good and you don't catch anything your first time there, it doesn't mean it's not a good spot. I get skunked regularly at my favorite spots that I have caught large amounts of cats and hogs too. I fish 2 pools on the Ohio River with about 10-15 spots on each just for this purpose. I'm always looking for something new on the river, you never know you might just find your new honey hole.