What do you look for in a reel???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by puddle jumper, Dec 25, 2009.

What reel have you decided on??

1. Penn

2. Shimano

3. Avet

4. Abu's

5. Okuma

6. Diawa

7. Ming

8. Zebco

9. Shakespere

10. Other...I know I am forgetting some sorry

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive got a list of things I look at when im gotting a reel,,,

The reel that fits that list the best wins,,, It might not be the cheepest or the high dollar but it has to meet my needs, and ive got a bunch of different brands that ive tried to prove it,,,
    Ive heard a bunch of people "down" higher dollar reels, so this is your chance to speek up...:confused2:

#1 It have to be able to catch fish weather it be a 1 lber or a 150 lber, becouse with cats you never know what is going to pick the bait up and run..."thats why its so much fun,," and I have to have that 100% faith in it that it will not fail,

#2 It has to be good quality, I want a smooth casting, be light,smooth drag, comfortable handle,and the right line capacity, and generally feel tight and solid when in chunking 4-6oz baits...

#3 It has to last, "IF I TAKE CAIR OF IT" I dont want to wear one out in one or two fishing seasons, of fishing once or twice a week...which makes it cost effective to get a higher dollar reel, for me.

#4 I have to be able to get it fixed, if I do something dumb with it "and I do from time to time" so there has to be good customer support"

Thats my list and im always looking for a winner,,,
    But for right now it the,,,

Shimano Tekota's 500/600,,,
    at 135$ they are pricey compaired to some, but they, in my opinion are flawless for what im looking for..:wink:

What do you look for, :roll_eyes:
    also you can vote for more than one if its a good one please,Not just one you have...
    Puddle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    One thing I like is the reel is reliable. I like something that casts well, and has cranking power. The line capacity and drag are big items too.

The reel I chose is Avet, I couldn't afford an Accurate. I have Penn, Shimano, Shakespeare,Newell, Daiwa, Rapala, Zebco, and one given to me I don't know what it is. Daiwa has some features I like, I just can't afford em, and most of my reels are used, given to me or bought second hand. The reel I would buy or use would depend on what I plan on using it for, and the bigger ones are so expensive after I buy it I can't afford to go fishing, so I get used ones and have em checked out and fixed. Nothin against any other reels, just some cast better for me or work better. I want top of the line stuff, but I ain't won the lottery yet.

3. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I here you Tim,,
    I spend a lot of time on E-Bay looking for deals myself,,,
    Puddle

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I look for price.lol...Thats a given...And recomendations from fellow BOC Brothers...And i ended up With an abu 7000c3i and a 7000i...Great reels...But the c3i is $$170.00:crazy::crazy:...Now for the long skinny thingy that the reel hooks to??

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't want one, I don't want one, I don't want one. Yes I do. John I have never seen one of those reels you have pictured. Man that is a beauty. I really like the looks of it. I love my Abu 6500's and am totally satisfied with them, but now I am trying to justify one of these Shaminos. How do you like it? how does it compair in size and quality to the 6500's ? is the reel well balanced like the good shimano spinners? Also how is the cranking power compaired to the 6500. :embarassed:
    I figgure the purchase of 1 more reel this winter by me is going to send momma over the edge :big_smile: .

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I prefer the Abu Garcia 7000 series baitcasters, but the price is getting higher than what I want to pay. I like Penn reels because they are more afordable and durable reels. For spinning reels, I like the Shimano baitrunners.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Only two things for me,
    1 Gotta be a round baitcaster
    2 Gotta be under 100.00

Ming Yang reels are looking better all the time. I love my abu 7000 But at the price I only have 1,Not overly fond of the looks of the new Tidewaters ,and anything else is way over my budget .

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I want reels that can get the job done in the most effecient way possible.Reliability and longevity are a big selling point for me too.I stay away from anything that aint gonna take some abuse.My flattin reels are Daiwa Saltist.My carp and channels reels are Abu 6500,s in one model or the other.I got absolutely nothing against any of the off brand or cheaper reels.I just buy the best I can afford at the time,because if I get that fish of a lifetime on,I don,t want to worry about reel failure then.It isn,t too bad for me because I,ve accumulated so much stuff over the years that I,m not buying everything at once.If I had to start from scratch,I,d be buying something cheaper for sure.If money was no object(I wish),I,d be using Daiwa Saltigas,Avets,and Accurates.:wink:.Oh,and I,d also be fishing off a boat!:smile2:.

9. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey john ,
    Check out this review I posted when I first got one,, havent had any problems out of one yet,, not one,,,:wink: also do a search for the word "TEKOTA" on here lots of other opinions on them as well...:wink:
    and I know what you mean about putting mama over the edge...:confused2:
    Puddle
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109007&highlight=tekota
    :big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  10. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I chose other because I use any kind that I can buy second hand at yard sales, Goodwill, and sometimes antique stores. If I had to make an absolute choice I'd pick Penn. My Grandpa swore by them and I'm taking his advice.

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    John, thanks for that link. Great review. Pretty much answered all questions I had. :big_smile:

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    thats easy aub on side plate:wink:

13. brian73

brian73 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    For a casting reel, I use either Abu 6000's or 7000's. They are all from the 70's. I use Lew's Speed Spins for my spinning needs.

Brian

14. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    -I look for a good price first between $40-$80
    -Good line capacity of at least 250 yds of 20LB Mono I always use braid, I prefer 300+ of 30 though
    -Strong Drag
    -Size, I dont like small reels unless im bassin or baitcatchin, I love the size of the Penn 320 and Abu 7000 series reels
    -If im bank fishing I'd like for it to cast at least 30-50 yds if boat fishing 10yds is fine with me.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've not bought any NEW baitcaster reels, in about 20 years.. I pick them up on sale, or e-bay, or build them..
    I like the Abu 7XXX's iC3 is my Favorite..
    I've had good luck with Daiwa Millionaire's, and Cabelas Depthmaster Linecounters..also
    I'm seeing more reels I'd like to try, but, probably need to catch a few more fish with the ones I have first!!!

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pop Pop turned me on to the Cabelas Depthmaster line counters. haven't tried one yet, but if Snagged2 says they are good, that's good enough for me. That said, I'm stickin' with Abu Garcia as long as I can afford them.

Bill in SC

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Hey Greg,that Abu 9000 I sold you was brand new in the box.Guess you don,t have to count that because you didn,t have to pay NEW price.:smile2::roll_eyes:.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes Pat,,,Good point,, By New, I mean Retail price plus Tax!!! LOL

and, That 9000i,, is looking kinda Combat Fatigued now!!!! I LOVE it..:wink:

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Only thing up this way getting fatigued is our snow shovels!:smile2:.

20. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    We actually had close to 10 inches of snow here in the dirty south :big_smile: