What do you look for in a catfishing partner?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by smoothkip25, Feb 5, 2009.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know over the years Ive been through fishing partners over and over, either by sellin me out to honey holes or they just dont have the patience to be good at it. What do you guys look for when it comes to picking a good catfishing partner? Just curious!

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    a partner with good spots and catches my bait :smile2:, i wish
    that is a good question, there is really only one person that knows all my spots and we fish together all the time, we've also fished together for a couple bass tourneys, i know he doesn't take anyone to these spots and he only practices CPR, a few of my honey holes don't get alot of fishing pressure and i'd like to keep it like that:wink:

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I really like to look for someone that is all cpr and is about as half as crazy as i am when it come to sitting all night long in some of the nastiest conditions and not giving up no matter what! I also like a guy that is loyal to me and my spots. I like to talk some while I fish but i also get annoyed by the guy that dont shut up and is loud! LOL!

4. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Someone that respects you and your spots like you would his. A person that is open for help if he needs it or willing to help if you do.

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I used to know someone like that Lenny someone I could trust all of a sudden he just didn't have time to fishin with me anymore I didn't quite have the honey holes as you do.But Then it just got boring going fishing all the time by myself,I like fishing but I'm not gonna keep constantly goin fishin by myself I'd rather have some company every once in a while.I think I put more time on the water if I'm with someone than if I'm by myself.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The biggest thing is to get along, lets face it most of the time catfishing is spent with a bunch of BSing....So its good to be able to joke around. Trust is also a big thing, take someone to a honey hole, and you go back next week and its all of the sudden over populated....big red flag!

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I found one and it just happens to be my girlfriend, we have a great time,either sitting on the bank or in the boat. She stay with it all night and sometimes Im ready to go and she isnt, but we hang in there. we are constantly trying new techniques and new spotss its a blast figuring this sport out together, P.S. we really catch some the fish too

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I hear ya Gary! My girl Valerie was with me many nights with me this year and she stuck it out in some nasty 30ish temps 4 months pregnant with twins. She netted some good fish for me and even caught her first cat this year!

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Fellow member Silvermark showed me what it's like to be a "cat" fishing partner. I had done the same things the same way for so long with a few others, park ponds, lakes and streams and he will admit I am bait master <LOL don't even say it>, in just a cople years I have caught and helped catch so many nice fish on just a few trips with him, his friends and mine. Meteors, satellites, various animals and getting more bait a couple nights from near where we fished was more than enjoyable. At times "something comes up" and I can't make it etc. and I go with bait caught earlier and he shows up..or not.
    TJ ,known him since 6th grade, just plain fishes, and it's tough sometimes for him to target flats yet we can tear up channels in several holes on the GMR during the day. He just has a knack of catching something, every time...bass, pke, walleye, brown and rainbow trout, cats, gar, carp, skulpins LOL. He pulled a fathead out of the GMR in TROY one day. LOL.
    All in all: Time, Desire, Knowledge and companionship.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like a fishing partner to be:: some one you can trust not to give the honey hole away,fun to be with, a jokey sort at times, helpful when needed,willy to accept help, willing to mix up the approach to catfishing. and some one that ya never tier of being around.
    Good fishing partners are hard to come by.

11. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    this is a very good topic, im pretty much what everyone else has already stated, most of us fish with our good buddies that we have known for years or friendships made from BOC i respect my friends i fish with and if we go to one of there spots, i dont go without them, they put the time infinding that spot as i did mine, its only respectful to just not go there unless there with you or you are with them. i cpr, i dont mind if someone keeps fish but be selective about it you dont have to take the biggest fish, take a eater, a low volume conversation is always easy most of the areas i fish get more noise from vehicles and other things than any low talkin is going to do, and the one thing that i demand boat or bank respect the water you never know when it will jump up and bit you in the bung...

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    1. Pick only the ones that fish with you day in and day out. A great catfishing partner is the guy who can fish with you 5 to 6 days per week. No Weekend Warriors nor Holiday fisherman for me!

2. Unemployed. Through my years of observation, the unemployed makes great catfishing partners because of their "flexible" schedule:wink:

3. Single or not married. A great catfishing partner must be ready at all times of the day and we willing to deploy at a moment's notice. Sort of like Firefighters and Super Heros. With a wife or even girlfriend, trips can be aborted very easily. Having children will keep you even more at home:embarassed:

4. Experienced. The next thing you need is an inexperience fishing buddy who you have to catch bait for, carry all the equipment, hook the bait for them, and here the guy complain all night about being hot, mosquitoes, bored, and just wanna go home.

My 2 cents:wink:

13. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just look for someone who Loves to catfish as much as I do .I dont like to fish with people who just want too sit in the boat.I like people that like too put in there 5 cents worth.S man an I work good togeather.He enjoys flatheading as much as I do.Theres Two guys that taught me what I know an we always have a good time. Ive got plans to go to the James river.On the 24th to the 27th.But I dont have a partner yet.But there are guys that want to go.But they think its going to be a party.Im not fishing with a PARTY ANIMAL.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    For me I would say having someone that doesnt mind listening to the garbage that I spew LOL. If Im with someone else (besides my kids and wife) I respect what they tell me or show me. I dont blab around where I was at but I talk alot LOL ask Sman LOL. If someone doesnt mind some jawing going on, I like the quietness also.

15. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I will take anybody along that wants to go. And we will be cool as long as they dont go throwing stuff in the water or jumping up and down in the boat.

16. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Someone who know's how to enjoy nature. I dont want the hear "is it time to move yet" or is it time to go yet" just shut up and take in all the wonder. If your easliy bored or cant trust me to find the fish then stay home. I have faith in my ability if anyone on the water is going to catch fish than its going to be me. I like to talk stratagie and if were not getting bites on my favorite point then I like to start talking about conditions. I have sat out in a cold April rain and caught fish after fish on velveta cheese when the guy down the bank form me wasnt catching anything using Sonny's which is one of my favorite perpared cheese baits but not when its cold.

17. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Someone with Patience to sit there for an hour without a bite.. and someone withe the patience to put up with me. Friends make good choices, that way there's no one feeling uncomfortable and not knowing what to say. They have to want to go catfishing. I've got a good friend that is a bass fisher. He's been with me a couple of times, but he always wants to fish for bass and gets easily bored.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    1- someone you can trust, and not tell people about the spots you fish.

2- catch and release on all flatheads

3- Of course you must get along.

4- enjoy each others company.

It also helps if they are good with a castnet and can catch bait:smile2:

Be handy with a net so they can land all my big fish!:wink:

And really someone who has a passion for the sport.

Roger and Mellon fit all the above!!!

Picking a good fishing buddy, is amost as important as picking a good wife, wait a minute I get along better with my fishing buddys than I do my wife...LOL

19. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Someone that is laid back and easy to talk to. Likes the sport as much as I do. CPR's for the future of the fishery.

My brother and my ol'lady have been my fishing partners the last few years. Since then I have fished with other people, and am proud to call any one of them my fishing partner...

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Someone who's kicked back and relaxed and enjoys the sport. I don't make judgement on someone until I have personal experience with him/her. If I have a problem with someone I'm a firm believer in telling them to their face. I expect the same in return. What I can't stand about someone is they talk nice to your face and talk bad about you behind your back. Honesty is the best policy and it's number one in my book!