What do you like to fish more Channels or Flatheads?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by x smokin joe, May 4, 2008.

1. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Which does everyone like to fish for better, flats or channels? And which can you catch more consistantly?
    I like going after both but prefer channels. Main reason is I prefer catching to waiting. Over the years I have gotten better and learned to target bigger channels.
    Ya its fun to pull in 40-50lb flat but to me its just as much fun to pull in a few 15+ lb and a bunch in the 5-10 lb range.
    That's my choice whats yours?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I prefer to fish for Flatties 95% of the time but don't mind catching Channels at all. I Channel Cat fish at certain State Lakes here in KY and OH a few times a year. I do like to keep some(maybe 25% at tops) of the 3-6# Channels to eat. I've never eaten Flatties(just rather throw them back) and would CPR all of them unless its badly guthooked or something happens then someone else gets it.
    As long as there is a Catfish tuggin on my line I'm a happy camper!!!:wink::smile2:

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Ain't that the truth

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I hunt Flatheads almost exclusively, but I consistently catch channels in the 6-8lb range. I like the challenge of the hunt, but like to find the channels when I want to reel in a sure bet.

5. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    like others have said before me i would rather reel in a monster shovel than anything but iv got a couple farm ponds around me loaded with big 8 to 12 pound channels and i love that to just depends where im at and what im in the mood for

6. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I am with ya Scooter. I target flats now more than ever but love relaxing with some chicken livers at local park ponds which hold some decent channels.

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    For most of the last 30 years I have lived where there weren't any flatheads so have resigned myself to catching big channels in the 15 to 30 pound range. I hope this year to tie into a couple big flatheads so maybe my mind will change, but a big fish, be it either a channel or a flathead is okay with me ..... Garry- :cool2:

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I target channels and blues more that flatheads. I like to catch them all. Just seams to be more channels and blues where I fish.

Tom

9. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I prefer the Flatheads, however I have to agree on the waiting part, it can get pretty discouraging at times.

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Flatheads, hands down. I love the anticipation. Even after a long wait. It just makes it that much better to me.

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i always bait up 1 pole for channels and 2 for flaties and sometimes catch channels on my flatie baits and when my wife goes with me we fish for everything

12. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    flatheads hands down! channel fishing can be fun as well but nothing beats setting up at dark and hearing that clicker run, setting that hook and feeling that initial weight of a big flathead, you just cant beat it. i love setting the hook and realizing, holy crap, this ones a real pig!

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like flats,but i fish more for channels.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer to fish for the flatheads. Why?? Typically that means that I am on the bank of the local river, accompanied by my brother/nephews/and whoever else tags along. We have a great fire/the cooler is full and all night to wait. This type of fishing brings us together and I love it. I only get to do this about one or two times a year and I love every second of it.

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I agree, I do the same thing.

16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All of this sounds like very good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

17. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Yeah, I have to admit, the flathead can be a fish of a thousand hours, but man, catching just one makes it all worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, early-season channel cats get me warmed up when the flatheads aren't ready to bite, but nothing can set my heart to racing like a big 'ol flathead, not even a bruiser blue cat.

18. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    BROTHER HILLJACK ,YOU MUST HAVE A REALLY GREAT BROTHER TO ENTERTAIN YOU LIKE THAT:big_smile:

19. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep, I would say the hilljacks have flathead fishing down to a science.............at least the entertainment part!

20. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    I fish for Flatheads 95% of the time,but still catch abunch of channels.most times i use live bait on one pool and cut bait on the other so i pick up channels.but as long as i'm catfishing i'm happy:wink: