what do you guys think???

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by crazyKat, Jun 11, 2009.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    went fishing yesterday in owensboro. found a spot that was producing flatheads. the ones we caught was around 5 to 10 pounds. we was setting and getting a few hits then it kind of slowed a little. small bumps then we had a bump on the rod and then BOOOM the rod slammed straight down and started peeling drag. drag was pretty tight when he managed to get the rod out of the holder this fish broke the line. we are talking 80 pound powe pro braid!!!!!!! was this a big cat or could it been a big gar? whatever it was it was huge.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a Big Flat moved in and run the smaller ones out. I would definetly go back and fish this spot again and again.:wink:

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am with John on this I have never hooked anything that big but....on a smaller scale seen the same thing happen . Could have been a gar but... what did the line look like at the end where it broke orcut offf maybe that will also give a clue .

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    see, for that reason there is why i dont use braid. braid has no strech. i read a post before about braid just snapping when it gets pulled at a 90 angle against the rod tip. i'd go back again to the same spot, like the brother said before. use berkley big game mono this time. where did it snap? rod tip or hook or somewhere inbetween?

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hate braided line although I do use it on my bass rods I took it all off my cat poles. that line cost me a whole lot of fish. with a fish on its great line but if the fish move in or around any kind of struckture its over. I have found with rocks mostly were like trying to run my line over a razor blade and wondering why this high dollar line failed while the fish swam away. I went back to mono and stoped that problem.
    even if you had a gar I would think it would take a little longer for him to saw /bite through the line than a few seconds from the first run. I would guess you had a nice 20 to 30 lbs cat that managed to bump your line against something. because with braid that big only two best thinks I see going wrong is knot failure or bumping structure/ debree in the water with fish on and line tight.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Braid is good for pulling bass out of heavy weeds and nothing else.

7. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sounds like one of those LOGCATS.:big_smile::big_smile:hahaha Flatheads you need to hook me up.Hollar at your boy.:wink:

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    you probably got hung up on a passing barge....:smile2:

9. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    What John said!!

11. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it was no log or barge boys.:smile2: the line broke above the leader it wasnt cut. i was in a little structure but not any rocks. maybe it was a bad spot in the line but the line was new. we will never know. yea im gna hit that spot again maybe this time at night these flats was hitting around 1 in the afternoon on cut shad. maybe take some bluegills and try it again. aaron get with me and i will show ya where i was.

12. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    Dont give up all the good spots. You gotta save some for me... On that camping trip that is..

13. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Good luck to ya second time around. And don't give up on that Power Pro yet. I've been using it exclusively for the last 4 years except for ultralite and never have problems. Spoonbill to walleye, I get'em all on braid. I have had the same situation you had with the break, but guarantee I have lost a lot more with mono in my younger days.