What do you guys think of this rig I plan on using?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by okie catfishen, Aug 14, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I am going to use a 75lb leader and 50lb berkley big game line. I tied a snell knot at my hook and used a egg weight and a slip bobber set at 10feet for the place I fish so I can drift fish. Here is a pic. tell me what you think, or if I can do anything better.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Newcastle, Ok

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
  2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Looks good to me bro, let us know how it works for you

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Everything looks pretty good. One change I would recommend. Your swivel looks like a snap swivel. I would switch to a barrel swivel. I've seen the snap swivels straightened out by big fish. I've never seen it happen to a barrel swivel though.

4. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    Yes you are right thinks for the info it makes good sense

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I agree, swap the snap for a barrel...

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, I agree with what he said.

I use the slip bobber rig and drift almost all summer, I have had great success with the rig, still fishing and drift fishing.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm going to go ahead and agree with the swivel change, but other than that it looks good. I don't use anything but barrell swivels in any of my rigs.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have to agree with everyone else just use barrel swivels, not the snap

9. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    where do you get slip floats and leaders?? i havnt seen them at wally world

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You know guys I have been cattin for 30 years and never have I used a float of any kind..I always just chunk my bait out on the bottom and let it set there..I always say I am gonna try something new, but I hate change:big_smile:

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They sell some Slip Bobbers at Wal-Mart that work decent. But I usually get really big Slip bobbers about the size of a baseball around here at baitshops. As far as leaders go, just get some 50lb Mono from Wal-Mart or something and use that, it works for me!

12. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i would allways set half my rods with floats and the other half without,and would get more action on the float rigs,thats all i use now ,i buy the peg floats in bulk,100 for $28 from a place in sc

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Everyone beat me to it! Snap swivels are for small fish. Swivels are rated for test weight just like line and everything else. Match them to the fish you are after.

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pardon me for my ignorance, but I notice a lot of you use leaders heavier than the main line, and I fail to see the logic behind that... could someone enlighten me..?:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow. (Ronald E. Osborn)

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jeb using bigger leaders you can take more abraytion and knot strenth if its 60% 30lb = 18lb if its 50lb = 30lb simple

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I'm with Jeb, I think the leader doesn't take the punishment like the main line and I've always thought the little bit lighter leader then the main line would save some of your terminal tackle when hung up. The knot strength doesn't mean anything if you're going to break off at the main line and lose everything. jmo.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    leader line is more abraision resistant than fishing line. A big cat's teeth can do a lot of damage to lines. Ever tried holding a wiggling blue cat or flathead over 20 pounds by its mouth with your bare hands?

18. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

19. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Argee with replacing snap with barrel swivel. You might want to gether all your snaps together and place them in retirement. They probably are ok for small fish but they often fail on large or fighting fish.

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I