What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, May 21, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey for my last post, "why do peta and tree huggers do this" i need to take action. do you guys think that i should hold an anti peta convention? if so how would i be able to hold one? how would i get my parents to let me hold a convention? how would i advertise this? 223smitty i know your going to look at this post i gaurantee it. so what do you think i should do?

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tony, I just now looked at you profile to see that you are just 14. That poses a problem with you holding a convention. But what you can do it tell other at school. You can do reports and become known as a good ethical hunter and outdoorsman. You don't have to cram it down their throats, but explain to your class mates the need for ADC. First thing you need to do is become knowledgeable about all aspect, do research, and know your fax before you get into a debate with and anti. Knowledge is power and you are young enough gain the knowledge and make a difference. Good job brother and keep up the good work.

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ahhh....you know me too well Grasshopper :tounge_out:

First, I commend you for your willingness to take action. With that said, I'd say what I said before, join your State Trapping Association, as well as the NTA (National Trapping Association). These 2 things will be your best line of defense, and 1st step in fighting the anti's. Once a member, become involved, learn all you can about trapping & it's benefits, the "ins & outs", animal behavior, furbearer management, etc. and recruit others in your age group to develop an interest in trapping as well. Take one of your buddies with you this fall, show him how you make your sets, animal sign, what you plan to catch, etc....I promise you'll have their attention. You're the upcoming generation of trappers, and alot of what happens will be determined by you & your peers.

Education is your best weapon & tool, not only in your fight for trappers rights, but everyday while on your trapline. Most trapping associations are short-handed of officers, and I'm sure would love to have someone with your attitude, energy, eagerness, and dedication to the sport on their side.

Being sure to know & follow all your states trapping regulations (as I make it a point to mention to anyone) because you'll never hear PETA brag about the thousands of trappers who obey the laws, but let 1 "slob" trapper mess-up, have a trapper or hunter dispose of their carcasses along some roadway.....and it'll be all over the mornings headlines & the 6:00 news.......that's how they play their game, it's happened many times. Who know's....it may be PETA themselves doing it.......

I guess what I'm saying, is learn to walk before you run. At this early point in your trapping career, you aren't prepared to take PETA on face-to-face. You need to learn what to say, when to say it, and how to say it....because if you don't, you're words will be misconstrued & twisted into nothing like what you had intended them to be. There are already people who are in the position & have the experience, proper verbage, and financial backing to speak for trappers, so begin by supporting them in any way you can.

When you are old enough to vote, vote against those who support taking away sportsmen & womens rights. In the meanwhile, find out who the current ones are & spread their names around.....the internet can be a good tool & an easy way to learn as well as pass along information. It can also be a place to find alot of false information from alot of phony people. I've been approached by anti's before, claiming to be trappers.....but it doesn't take long to figure-out their full of scat. Be sure of the source & correctness of your information, or it will come around & bite you in the keester. And always remember, what 1 trapper does, how they conduct themselves, along with their ethics & morals....reflects on all trappers,

Smitty

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Tony, Iam glad to see a young person trying to do something positve for the outdoor sports. Please heed advice in previous post. good luck. Don't get discouraged. You will make a defference. Iam sure.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My daughter is about your age, and she too is annoyed by the PETA types she encounters at school. Like I tell her, educate them and yourself with facts. Most of what the PETA types are fed from the organization are half truths. They take a small segment of the population and extrapolate that over the entire population.

In all honestly there is some truth in what they say, but it can not be generally applied to the entire group they wish to target. It is kinda like saying, “cars kill people, get rid of cars.”

I do not believe in torture of animals, but I do believe that we treat animals better than animals treat other animals. The death of an animal in a slaughter house, while not pretty, is much better than its fate in the wild in the jaws of its prey.

One thing that PETA likes to ignore is that modern slaughter houses kill animals quickly for a couple of reasons. First, time is money. The faster you can kill an animal and process it the more money you make. There is no gain to them in torturing an animal. Second, the chemicals released during a slow death are bad for the taste of the meat. A quick kill reduces the release of enzymes into the meat that make for bad taste.

As for how to communicate logic to them, don’t cram anything down their throats. People listen much most intently when you speak softly than when you yell. Know your facts. The PETA folks do a good job of brainwashing their members, and their members take everything the organization says as fact and the “good members” can readily quote it back to you. Speak from facts and challenge them to do the research.

I visit all of the animal rights sights regularly. The old adage “keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer” holds true here. See what they say, and then examine it thoroughly for the facts. Many of the videos that they show are from third world countries where the people are as likely to kill each other as animals. Asking a nation that treats it people barbarically to not harm animals is silly, but the videos generate emotion and that is what they are after.

I have asked many a vegan why they kill more animals than I, a meat eating person does. The look at me perplexed and deny that they do so. I explain to them that to plant all the fields where they grow their vegetables involves killing hundreds of animals per acre through clearing, plowing, and harvesting of the crops. Mice, rabbits, and birds are all eradicated to put vegetables on the table. I tell them that I can kill one cow and feed my family for months.

The bottom line is that we are at the top of the food chain and everything below us is a potential meal.

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Here is a link to a website where you can sign a petition to have PETA's tax-exempt status removed. It is a small step, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with one little step.:wink:

I had this same link posted a while back on another thread. I'll see if I can find it and bump it up.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm/article/154

7. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thank you you guys for your support. you know what i will do the research and be a member of the nta. they have gone too far with what they are doing and im going to help put an end to this!

8. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I dont know how to hold one and I do think its a good idea, but be smart. There was a post a while back with a few hundered dead ducks that spelled out PETA and in the background the hunters who shot them were flipping off the camera. While I agree with them totally and I though it was halarious, it probably wasnt an intelligent thing to do. PETA will use stuff like that against us. Good Luck!~

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great post. Keep your enemies close is right. They have free sites just as we do. Check them out and see what they say about us.

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Tony, One of the very best things you can do at your age is to educate others your age about trapping. You have a huge advantage being your age because others your age will listen. Trapping is one of the things that got this country started, so why not ask your history teacher if you can give a speech/siminar at your school about trapping as american history and what it is today. It would be a very good way to educate people about who PETA realy is. You need to look into PETA also and find out for yourself exactly what they are about. Did you know that these people don't want anyone to even have pets?!?!
    Like said in other posts join your state trapping association,NTA and the NRA these are the people that fight in court for your rights to trap hunt and fish. They have to have money to do this for you.
    I was sent an Instant message about a year ago by an animal rights activist. He/she wanted to let me know how wrong I was. I played along with them listening to the stuff they had to say to me. It was all pretty funny stuff to me. I remember them saying how they liked to walk by the river and watch the otters swim. They said " One day an otter came up on the land and I just walked over to it and pet it and rubbed it's belly" lol. I somehow just can't see this happening.

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here's a copy & paste from the ISTA website:

The history of the fur trade in Indiana started in 1660 when the first white man, a French fur trader named Robert Cavelier entered Indiana around the area known now as South Bend.
    Fur trading post were established and soon military forts were built to protect the fur trading business. These forts became the cities we know today as Fort Wayne, Lafayettee and Vincennes.
    The fur trade had it's booms and busts thru the many years but one thing stayed constant, trappers know and love the ways of nature and the animals that they harvest.
    Then in 1961, Indiana trappers saw a need that still binds today. A need to meet with other trappers, share with each other our stories, lives and struggles, to take pride in our traditions, history and our proven trapping methods and formed The Indiana State Trappers Association.
    Even today we still meet for many of the same reasons but we also realize the need for community understanding and involvement in our Legislation.
    By standing along side with other organizations like The National Trappers Association, Fur Takers of America and other State Trapping Organizations all over the Country, as well as other Sportsman Groups, We stand in Court Rooms, Our Statehouse and in Washington D.C., Dealing head on with issues that affect trappers every day.
    Together we have became a powerful voice, both in Indiana and Washington D.C..