What do you expect on someone else's water

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gebs, Jul 4, 2006.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I took out a buddy of mine 2x on the river recently. The first time he was huntin' Smallies and I was Cat hunting. After I caught 8 and he was blanked on Smallies he changed and tried "this catfishing thing." He only caught 2 but it was something. I felt bad so I invited him out again. When we went out again, we both targeted Cats. We both caught in the double digits, but he still complained that his fish were smaller. He did admit that catfishing is a lot more of a finesse sport than he thought after he missed his first 5 strikes.

So here's the question/comment. What do you expect when you go on someone else's water? Do you expect to go to the honey hole? What about advice on the local water conditions, etc.?

I told this guy what to fish, where to fish, and what the strikes would feel and look like. I didn't take him to my favorite spot as he has a mouth the size of IL, but I took him to a very productive area. He's a good guy, and I'll probably convert him to at least a part time Catman, but to catch 10-15 fish in 4 hours and crab that you didn't get the biggest fish when you're not on your home water? Get real.

I did love the part when he admitted that catfishing is a finesse sport and smallie or Muskie fishing is not. :big_smile:

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I would say he's lucky you did as much as you did. :confused2:

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I agree with RIP, you did all you needed to do. I would've politely told him about his complaining.

4. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Chuck,it sounds like you went beyond what should have been expected.I would have been very happy to catch the fish big or small.It's being out there with a friend that really counts to me. You did a good job brother and I rep you for it...

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree, if you put him on fish, then the rest is up to him. Who knows,maybe one of those that he missed could of been a trophy. Ive spent plenty of days or nights without a single hit in my own waters. When it comes to fishing there are no guarantees

6. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Thats fishing I think I would be looking for a new partner.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Some people just wake up in the mornings looking for something to gritch about. Those folks crawl on me. He sounds like the type that would complain if you handed him a crinkled $100 bill for Christmas.

Sounds to me like he might be better suited as a trout fisherman or bass fisherman or something. Let him go do his own thing. I wouldn't give the snivellin' rascal a second thought. Life's too short to spend your time with whiners!!!!!!!

Jerrod

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I think that is why I am not fishing with DH anymore. LMAO

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I say beggars can't be chooser are they will end up losers. Yoou did all that you should have and more than I would have for someone with a mouth that big.:big_smile:

10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Find someone else to pass on your fishing knowledge too.

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Kudos Chuck. It sounds like you have done plenty to show him a good time. As far as the "crabing", you just can't please some people no matter what you do.

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It sounds like you did good. If I went as a guest of someone I wouldn't expect to go to their honey hole, but I would hope that they took me to a decent spot where some fish could be caught. If you know someone has a big mouth it's probably not a good idea to take them to your secret spot.

13. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tell him what I tell my riders, Catch more or bigger than me, your walkin back to the dock!

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I say to that guy, OH WELL Buddy, that's the way it goes!!! At least he caught something, LOL!!! More times than not, when I take someone to a good spot, the fish have lockjaw, LOL!!! You done good!!!

15. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now I have a different perspective from most of you on this one. This guy was a guest in Chuck's boat. Courtesy is to let your guest catch the most and the biggest. After all, that is what he's paying for. What do you mean he wasn't paying? He's along for the ride and whines like it's a guide trip? His @$$ swims back!

16. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    LIKE ME!..........lol

17. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    you are a better person than i am if i took someone out and they caught 10 - 15 fish and all they could do was complain, they mighta swam home. my fishing buddy now [ducain] fished one hole year without catching a thing, course i was new to the area to, but i caught a few, but he came right back out the next year and we finaly found a few decent spots. and he didnt complain one bit. what you do is have him take you to his waters and see if he can do better for you.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I think alot of people have the misconception that catfishing involves no skill what so ever..They couldnt be more wrong..Its not just sitting on some bank of a stagnant lake or river, and waiting hours for a bite..I had a few buddies the same way, one was my brother..He never understood why i catfished..I took him to the Ohio River once, he hooked into a 20 lb channel..Now he has more cat rod and reels than me, and he is a BOC member..The word BA$$ never comes out of his mouth anymore..LOL..I would agree, your buddy is definantly blessed to have someone show him the way of Catfishing.

19. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
  20. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm going to see if the courtesy is reciprocated. If not, he can pound sand.

The ONLY reason I would take him back out on my boat is to see if he has gained a higher respect for Cat men and women.

Thanks for the support. I figured if I took someone out and put them on fish that's what it's all about. From there it's may the best person win.

Chuck

P.S. If I dumped him downstream he couldn't really swim back, the river's not deep enough. It would be more of a long walk up a short river. :lol: