what do you do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kscathunter, May 18, 2008.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    One of the downsides to using heavy line, getting snaged. not sutch a big deal on the bank but on the boat, we found out last night is a big pain. my bro hit a snag on his big r&r with 65# pp and started pulling till it was right under the boat then....omg whatever he snaged was just light enough because when we tried to break off it tried to come up:angry: 30' down and heavy as he(( pump and reel wasent fun at 24' i gave up wish i hadnt left the gloves in the truck. he tried and around 22' he punched himself in the face and fell on his arse (line finnaly broke) so what do ya'll do when this happens?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya got the need to use that power pro may I suggest this. Wrap the line around a wooden dowl a couple times and it will give when ya pull. Just toss somethin in the boat ya can use for this purpose and ya will be fine. Did this when I went through my power pro phase a few years back,:wink:

3. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That's what I do. You'll either break the knot, straighten the hook, or pull the snag in. But either way, even if the line breaks, it'll break closer to the snag and save you a bunch of line. And at Power Pro prices, that's a good thing.

4. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    Steal a broom from the house and cut the handle into 8 inch pieces. Wrap your snagged line around the "Broom stick" and pull till the line breaks,pulls the snag in or other wise gives loose.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well thats the problem the line wasnt breaking it was pulling up a jynormous log (guess) straight up in 30foot of water so if i would have used a stick and pulled id only get so far before id have to re wrap and that log was heavy:eek:oooh:

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THAT'S THE REASON I WENT BACK TO MONO

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 100lb. It will break you just have to be a man! J/K, if you snap it it will break. A steady pull, it never will.

Remember, snap it, the line will crackle, and pop is the sound as you fall on your backside.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would never use nothing but 100# power-pro if it gets snagged ,Just POP it great stuff !!!!!!!

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    lol good stuff. thanks guys quick jerk on a no stretch line should have figured that one out :embarassed: guess the brain hasent been working so good lately :roll_eyes:

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What do you do? I'm afraid I would laugh my @$$ off (unless he was bleeding or bigger than me)!

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    lol yea i guess the way i wrote it id laugh and yes i did :smile2: then the sarcastic question, guess the line broke huh?:wink:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont use power pro braid anymore because of it.

100lb marlins are caught on 30lb big game. so i need nothing heaver. i brought up a 20' log once and un hooked. just dont need to do that anymore.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'll never understand why folks think they need to use 60 or 100 lb line for catfishing. All it does is make a lot more trouble for you, as you've found.

You don't need heavy line to catch heavy fish; you need a good quality rod and reel with sufficient line capacity.

30 lb mono works just fine for me, and even that is probably overkill. The 65 lb blue in my avatar was caught on 30 lb mono and I never worried for a second about the line breaking.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i usually punch myself in the face and fall on my arse! :smile2:

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    While I agree in part, I bought it and like it. The 72 in my avatar was caught on 40 mono and like you, I wasn't worried for a second. I will say my little river is a LOT more snaggy than the Miss at Alton, The Ohio at Marietta and/or Steubenville, or the James in Va. I may change but it takes a long time to wear that Power Pro out.... 3 years to 1/2 a season on mono.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    MrT. I only have pp on my 6000s so i can have some heavy line on small reel the rest of my reels have 40# mono and some times i wish i could find 45# because 50 seems to thick. like loanwizard said i fish some snaggy water and it seems like the fish are getting smarter were i fish. ive had to drag some fish out and some won the battle of the snag and my line didnt come out too good so a little thicker line would be nice.

17. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Precisely why I & some others use braided line-to get more line on the reel. My big river reels still have 30lb Big Game on them, but the 6500's and Quantum 410 get the Power Pro.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've agree with Mr T, All I use is 20lb test line and thats all I need is 20lb test line.

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I use 80lb. PP on most of my Freshwater reels. I also have 50lb. on my Lure reels and use a 80lb. Shockeader for abraision resistance. I also have Carp rods with 50lb. PP for the mainline and use a 80lb. Shockleader. These are my Freshwater set-up!!!!!!!! On Saltwater, I am using 100lb. or 200lb. PP with 50lb. mono leaders. These are the reels that are not casts out or with with limited casting requirements. For the Surf, I have 80lb. PP with a 15ft. mono Shockleader of 30lb. mono! This has worked for me!! When I have gotten HUNG UP, the use of the Quick Snatching motion has gotten the job done!!! The most memorable time for me was with the 200lb. PP that was not willing to give and nether was the snagg at the bottom. The Quick Tugging motion was finally able to BREAK it after we pulled the boat back 20+ feet in 150ft. of water. The LINE is Worth EVERY penny SPENT!!!!!! This all comes down to personal preference and the use of this particular line is one that will have you Rethinging How You Do THINGS when Snagged!!!!! JMHO!

HOPPY4

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My reels are spooled with 35# Big Game. I usually just take a couple of wraps around the reel. Amazing how strong 35# line can be.