What do you do with Turtles?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Jan 24, 2009.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just curious as to what some of you other local guys do with turtles that u catch out of your local holes.. I myself cant stand the bait stealing things.. So I make them SLEEP with the fishes, And every year their population in my local holes seem to be growing... So on that note what do some of you other guys do with them?..

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Turtle is good eating if cleaned and prepared right. There is a good article about it back in the archives somewhere. By cats4uandme...he showed the steps to cleaning a turtle. Very informative.:wink:

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I'm never going to forget that night at the river. :smile2:

Last summer got to the point where I couldn't even fish my creek without catching a turtle every cast. They took over my favorite holes and everywhere in between. I do like the little critters, but it's just gotten to be ridiculous. Now if I catch one I kill it. If I could find someone around me that eats them I wouldn't have to feel so bad about it.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have less problems with turtles if I use larger chunks of bait, or live bait.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to keep snappers and mud turtles . Wife doesn't like them suffering in the bucket for a few days before cleaning tho we do like to eat them . They don't make it home anymore . I don't really have much problem with them anyway my problem is slider or painted turtles even tho from what I understand they don't affect the fish population much there are tons of theese bothersome devils . Off with there heads immediatly .

6. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Painted turtles are the only ones I release. As I child I was addicted to them, and had a few for pets. I have a soft spot in my heart for them. :smile2:

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    turn them loose. if there is a contaminated critter in the river its sure to be that 50year old turtle.:eek:oooh: every few years ill clean one though, you know their still good eats. lol

if i had a problem like you have i mite do them differently though.

_

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Dad used to clean'em & eat'em. I never could so I throw'em back.
    The possibility of bait sometimes crosses my mine.:confused2:

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    big snappers and big soft shells go in the pot all else gets released.

10. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I like to tie them up with 80lb fishing line to a root and lett them duke it out.:smile2:

11. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I have never had turtle but I know alot of people eat them... I think I could try it.. But It still wouldnt change the way i treat them...

12. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i'm with you guys kill em as you catch em. I use live bait so I don't catch many but some buddys of mine took some cubed stew beef wi us to the river and caught turtles all night one after another we prolly killed 30-40 turtles that night alone

13. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

live bait dont seem to matter round here does it shane?!?:smile2::smile2: i remember a huge shad with nice triangles missing

14. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah there dangerous critters to live bait here:cool2:

15. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Heck no!!!! I could throw a rubber tire in and they would bite it... We should flip them upside down and pretend your hocky pucks LOL.. GAME ON!!!

16. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis

Ah come on now, at least they kept him busy. 3 large shad, 1 gill, clickers and triangles all over. :smile2:

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Im gonna have to get you hooked up with your first 20+ Flathead this year Travis... hey wheres my hat? Its been awfully cold

18. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I don't think that the co's would appreciate that.:confused2:

19. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I remenber catching a yellow belly on worms & a snapper's teeth bit into the yellow belly back/tail section.:confused2:

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'd be carefull &try to avoid the co's if I could.:wink: