What do you do with those little baby catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by 223reload, Mar 21, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok heres a little food for thought. It seems that lots of folks are preachin catch and release of big cats ,so I was just wondering. ......... what do you do when in the course of castnetting for bait ,you just happen to bring a netfull of baby catfish in. well I know what I do ,It stinks they are a real pain to get out of a net especially a nylon one i take whatever time it takes to carefully remove all of them. I have seen countless folks just throw the whole net in the nearest trashcan, I believe this is a direct violation of the bag limit as well as being terribly un sportsmanlike,so what do you do?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats never happened to me, but i agree they should be released back into the water.

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i use tiny bullheads for bait, and the other catfish ill eat if big enough (8" - 12")or ill throw em back!

4. catmama007

catmama007 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My husband and I have this saying: "Catch and Release in grease!" If they are to small to eat they work well for bait!

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It's a real pain in the a$$ to carefully work each fin out of the mesh and return him to the water...

but the fish did not do it on purpose.

Every person comes with a set of morals. It is up to that person to overcome immorality and live up to his morals (or down to them).

Every person is encouraged to form a set of high principals to live by... that no matter what, the principals will govern his/her actions.

PROBLEM? The tiny little innocent baby catfish with super-sharp spines will frantically struggle to escape the net only to embed themselves so deeply that sometimes they cannot even move.

SOLUTION? I will work with bleeding fingers to remove every last baby catfish from my net even if it means cutting the net with a knife. I can repair the net but I cannot make a dead catfish swim.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm like you all.I'll try and get them out and throw them back in the water.I never did have good luck keeping them alive for bait so I untangle them and throw them back.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    They go back in the water, whatever it takes...W

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm with ya too thanks

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats what I do also thanks for your insight.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Very carefully try to get them out of the net. so far I have been lucky and have only gotton a couple in my net.

11. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    SHISH KABOB!!!!!! ...just picken...throw them back, no matter what it takes!:big_smile:

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    You folks that are using them for bait or eating them might want to make sure you are allowed to keep them. I know here in Ohio we are not allowed to keep anything but forage fish. Catfish are not considered forage fish here.

13. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have sat and picked babys out of my net meny times and yes they go back in the water. Morals go deep within my sole,This aint just a sport for me it is a way of life and them babys need a chance to grow and it is going to take a lot more of us to live this way or my Grandbabys will only have herd of a Catfisherman,And it is the LAW you can not keep game fish to eat if it is caught in a NET!!!!God bless yall.:big_smile_2:

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Take them out and thow them back

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Would be almost like christmas to me... I would go get it out of the trash can (which by the way makes it fair game), remove them and release them myself and gain a new castnet, LOL!!!

16. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'ld like to say it's my high morals but the truth of is I'm too cheap to throw away my castnet.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Honest and Thrifty!!!!! I like those qualities, LOL!!!

18. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If they are big enough to eat I will keep 1 or 2 for dinner, everything else goes back.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

You'd better make sure thats legal where you live ,You arent allowed to keep any sportfish taken by means other than angling here.

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It's a major pain in the A$$ when that happens but it goes with the territory. Show the little one a little respect and put them back in the water to grow up.