What Do You Do When You Catch A Turtle

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pfunk, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Fishing for Catfish in this area often leads to the unfortunate situation where you pull that fish in, and find a turtle on your hook.

Now when i fished with a few guys out here, I noticed they would just cut the line, and let it go, with a hook sticking out of its mouth. I have strong empathy for all living creatures so this made me uncomfortable, no matter how many of them we have in our lake...

I understand that some of you might not have to deal with this like we do here. But when I was with these guys I made it very clear that I did not agree with leaving them in that condition, and when one guy told me I could take the hooks out if I wanted to, I did just that.

Most of you probably already have SOP’s for this, but just in case anyone doesn’t, and doesn’t want to leave the hook in.

#1: Some long needle nose pliers will often get the hook out without even having to touch them. There mouths are hard, and the hook usually slips right out with a good yank / twist…

#2: If that fails, just grab them from the back (holding the line tight so they cant bite you), and work the hook out with them on the ground, or floor of the boat.

Some of them do bite very hard, so be careful…

I’ve pulled some of the meanest Alligator Snappers out of the water, and always manage to get the hook out in less than a few minutes. Some say im crazy, I say its respect.

It just makes me feel better to know I didn’t leave it in. I understand some won’t agree with me. But I have a hard time believing that those hooks dissolve that fast like some of the guys I was fishing with that day told me. So I choose to risk taking it out, and setting them free.

Now if you are going to eat it, that’s a whole different story…. :D

If anyone has a better solution, feel free ;)

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I do not like having a teed off snapper in the middle of the river in my 15 ft jon.......I do not care what anyone says in confiens a turtle can move unlike a turtle.....have a coupl stories but anyway no you should try to get it out if you can...and get it the heck out of the boat:big_smile_2:

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    We eat them around here. If it's close to turtle cooking time it go's home, if I have room for it. Either fried or stewed the turtle will be. Otherwise I unhook if possible or cut free if the turtle has swallowed the hook.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have caught a bunch, and i can usually get the hook out, which is a hairy situation with a 30 lb snapper and regular short needle nose pliers, unfortunatley there is always that one every once in a while that swallows the hook.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Usually try to get the hook out .However if it's big enough It goes home with me so it don't matter if hook is left in or not.Don't like leaving hook in anything if at all possible.Fish or Turtle.

6. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I've only ever reeled in two turtles & they were both Alligator snappers (around 5lbs ea.). One became my son's pet (biggest mistake ever) and the other gutted the hook so I had to cut the line. I guess if I could safely remove the hook without getting nailed, I would definently do it. But if there's any risk involved, I'm cutting the line. Truthfully the things kind of freak me out.:confused2:

J

7. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I've caught small ones and I get the hook out with a long nose pliers. Years ago we caught a 40 pound snapping turtle and we took him home and ate em.

8. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    how do you catch turtles??

9. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I catch them by accident while fishing for something else. I caught one a few weeks ago on cut bait and I've caught them before with worms.

10. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    anyone have any recipes for turtle? And how to clean them? We have a ton in this area, and im thinking i might need to try one...

11. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas

Yea, i hear ya Travis.. I gotta admit, i kinda enjoy the rush when unhooking them Snappers. But then again, I’m kinda crazy like that.. I love to catch snakes, gators and whatever else fascinates me.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    there's a really good article in the library that gives the best detail & pics on this , check it out!!!

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I bet i catch at least one turtle everytime im out,some places are worse then others.I try to get the hook out but if hes trying to take my fingers off and being aggresive i cut the line as close to the hook as possible.

14. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Pfunk,
    Turtle is delicious.... You need to let them "clean out" first though, put them in a tub, barrel, etc. big enough to hold them, and put enough water in to sufficiently cover them and make them swim, change the water everyday for four or five days then they are ready for cleaning. Like was already posted there is an excellent article on here giving great detail on how to clean them.
    Enjoy

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I keep the bigger turtles to eat and i'm to tight to let a turtle have my hook so i always remove the hook:wink::smile2:.

16. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
  17. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Thanks Joe, i will for sure be giving that a try soon..

I was watching "Man Vs Wild" a few weeks ago, and i thought it was funny when he just threw the entire turtle on top of his camp fire, and then chipped the shell away after it was cooked to get at the meat.

He made it look so damn good, ive been craving it ever since. :big_smile:

Thanks again!

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've never had to leave a hook in yet but I'm sure I will run across a time when I have to. I've been around snappers all my life and I'm use to them so that is a advantage I guess. I can say I understand if people don't feel comfortable getting that close but I really prefer that people make their best but safest effort to remove all hooks.

-Jim-

19. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Turtle cooking's are a blast, not many women show up, but every man that knows about it is sure to show up, with beer in hand and stories to tell. Turtle stew, fried turtle and gravy, biscuits, and other sides. A good ole southern time!

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You cut the head off burry it good or it can still get you for a day or so,take my word fer it and dont play round or you might have 7fingers-2 thumbs.I am not good at explaining things but after you cut the head off pump yer air compressor up and put the needle attachment on it for blowing up the football make a small incision to get it thru the skin on a leg(BACK)and giver her air till she pops the shell and meat are at your finger tips.I have ate a little turtle in my time and it aint bad but I dont like the fact they are about as friendly as a rabbid tiger ...so............................