What do you do when given an end date.... terminal?

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by loanwizard, Jul 5, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My mother in law, a wonderful person, went in last week with chest pains. They took her straight to the hospital, and after running tests decided on a stint.... not a problem, routine. After more tests she was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.... a lung problem with no known treatment. Average life expectancy 2-5 years.

We all die, but what do you do when you know the rest of your life, suddenly finite, will be spent toting an oxygen tank around and attached to an air tube?

I ask for your prayers for her to be able to accept Gods final task for her, and pray for my wife, who will be the primary caregiver. There were so many things we had planned to do, that will either be accelerated or shelved. I know there is a psychological process to go through, but it is still hard going in with your eyes wide open. Lord, today I pray that when my time nears, don't let me know. Please take me quickly for my family does not need the knowlege.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never had to deal with a date, but watched my mother with lung cancer. They did radiation and chemo, both to no avail. She died form a massive heart attack while sitting at her kitchen table. I feel it was a blessing to her and the rest of my family, considering the circumstances.
    I'll pray for your mother-in-law and family. It's very stressful for everyone concerned. I believe in miracles and hopefully a cure can be found soon.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Prayers from my family for yours.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my thoughts and prayers go out to your mother in law and to her family and you.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm so sorry to hear the bad news, that's just awful . I can not offer any input but I can pray...and pray I shall.

-Jim-

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Shawn,
    As you know, only God knows the "time". The doctor's really DON'T!

When I went through a nearly fatal car accident when I was hit head on the doctor's told my parents I would not live through the night, then when I did they told them I would not live through the next 48 hours and to call any family in that would want to say goodbye. That was nearly 24 Years ago and I am still here. My prayers were to let me live. In any case the doctor's didn't know. God was not done with me on Earth yet.

Two of the things I learned from that accident are never take life for granted as it can change in the blink of an eye and live each day you can as though it were your last as it may very well be.

My best advice to you is to continue to interact with your mother-in-law as you always have and to help her live each day with as much quality of life as possible. Try to convey a positive attitude and outlook no matter how much your heart may be breaking for her. Pray to God, not for her to live, but to give her quality of life for the time she has left and for what is best for her.

My youngest sister was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago and was told she would have 6 -12 months to live. Her prayers were that if she could not recover to please let her time to go come quickly. She asked that we pray the same thing for her. We did so and she died within days as she wished.

So throw that time line out the window and out of your minds and pray for what is best for your mother-in-law and also listen to her wishes.

If you need to talk you know how to reach me. Feel free to do so at anytime - 24/7.

As for toting around an oxygen tank, try to teach her to be thankful for it when the time comes to use it as it will make everyday living easier during that time and will allow her to do things she couldn't without it. Its difficult to do anything when you can't breathe well!

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Hugs,
    Barb

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    im sorry to hear about your bad news i will be praying for u and yours i kinda know what you are going thru as i lost my grandmother my mom and dad to cancer knowing the time is comeing is awfull feeling to me im like you when my time comes i dont want to know i just want to go so just do your best to confert her and hange on to all the good memorys and live best you can and you will get to be with her agen in a much better place

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shawn I agree with Barb on this. Only God know the day and hour. Turn it all over to Him, and trust in him. Prayers sent for your family from our house.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Prayers for you'r mother in law as well as the rest of the family,As stated above ,dr's can only 'Guess' at the time we have left here on this earth. God knows all and only He can heal as well.

10. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Prayers coming to your family from Texas.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Prayers sent from Nevada.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    well wishes and prayers from mine to yours.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I'll be praying for you & yours too! I lost my mom to cancer last year, & it has to be the hardest on them to know that you are sad cuz they are sick. So my advice is to live every day as you were & don't treat her like she's sick, but try & spend quality time with her doing as many things she wants to do as she is allowed to do by her condition....

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Prayers from me hon...Do we we oughta be doing even if in PERFECT health ( as stated above, no MAN knows our time)

MAKE SOME GREAT MEMORIES and LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST, as best as able!

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a very close and dear friend who was given 6 months to live 5 years ago. He is still kicking, although he has had his problems. I agree with what has been said, No man knows when it's your time. Love her and cherish her while you can. Later Andy

16. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
  17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Prayers from Missouri

18. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    shawn hang in there buddy god will take care of her i know what ur going thru prayers sent from my family to yours God BESS

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Prayers sent for you and your Family from your KY/OH Brother!!!

20. nanan

nanan New Member

State:
    ohio
    lonewizard I just went thru that i had her for 9 years i went to the docs with her when they told her we spent the day together . I do know how its so hard i had lost my mom 4 months before i met her . She filled a place that was empty i was just beside myself and still am . So god love you kiss her every chance you have and what ever she wants get it they dont want much just your sweet smile they are walking the walk to take jesus hand and smile at us down here . Hunnnnn give her all your love huggggggggggggggs god love you guys love nanaaaaaaaa