What do you do to get ready for the flathead catfish "season"?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MadKater, Feb 19, 2006.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Do any of you build structre for flatheads? how much scouting do you do before the flatheads turn on? and how do you prepare your gear?
    as for me I dont do much structur building i mainly fish areas i assume the flatheads will be,I love fishing the the most snag invested waters i can find,one of my most productive flathead locations is between a deep hole and a log invested point,it is a large stretch of river that has very little cover but the key thing is it is full of baitfish and when the flatheads are on the hunt this seems to be thier first stop. as far as scouting,i do a whole lot of scouting,i love fishing new locations but i always turn back to fishing area i know well and i know how the fish react to certain situations.
    as far as getting my gear ready,i just make sure everything is in check,reel are oiled ros are in good shape,hooks are extra extra sharp etc etc..which all of that is a good thing to check for any type of fish you are after.
    this time of year im like a kid in december waiting for christmas to get here,the flathead is a fish i love to fish for,and if i was able to catch them year round it would be the only fish i would ever fish for............is it may yet?

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    You know Madcatter, I was sitting here reading posts thinking the same exact thing man. I just can't wait to get back on the river and hunt for them big yellowcats. I fish a lot during the winter for blues so I really don't have to maintain my gear. My main thing is finding good structure like you said and hoping the fish will be there when I am fishing. Those flatheads are tough to catch around here because of so many blues. I like to find good structure before I will even think about fishing an area. There are spots that we fish that don't have much structure but seem to produce nice flats. Heck right now I would like to catch some small flatheads to start things out. What type of gear do you use for flatheads? When you are fishing the area you fish, are you fishing the structure or the hole?

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    MadKater

Since you asked here's a few things I've got done this Winter in NE Ohio.

1) Just finished a 35 gal round shad tank fer the back of the truck. Along with the deep cycle battery in the truck. Used a 700GPH "KeepAlive" pump in the tank with filter.

2) Being a bank fisher & a tight-liner for the Flatheads I improved the STURDY rod holders I have to ones that a pole can be takin out a lot faster. I missed 2 in the last 2 years from not being able to get the rods out fast enough.

What will get done in the next month or so is:

1) Better stakes for the Pavillion type tent (11x11) so the passing storms will not effect my fishin:0a10: . She does a good job now in the storms.

2) New net for the Shad Tank.

Everthing else is READY TO GO GO GO!!!

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I mainly fish between the hole and the structure,it might sound wierd and kinda screws up everything people have said and heard about the flathead,like when someone asks where to find flats,99.9% you are gonna get an answer like"fish structure and lots of it" which is very true,but like i said my most productive spot is a section of the river with very little to no structure,but the key thing is its a shallow area{2'-6') thats holds alot of baitfish in the evening-morning hours{my favorite times to fish}.
    As far as what type of gear i use,since 2002 when all my gear was stolen i have had to resort to using gear i can afford which up until this year consisted of shakspear tide water reels and a assortment of rods from the sturdy stik to the ugly stick,this year i was able to start getting my gear back to the way it use to be,now i have a couple penn 220 GTO reels on shakspear tiger rods a abu garcia 6500 on a shakspear tiger lite rod and i still have the tidewater reels on some cheaper rods like the sturdy stick and a couple berkley glow sticks,but my main outfits will be the penns and abu garcia most reels i own are loaded with berkley big game in 40# and as far as hooks i use anything from 4/0-10/0 kahles just depends on the size of bait i have that day,most offten im using 8/0 kahles since they fit the bait i like using the best{large live gills}.

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Now thats whta im talkin about! get er done!

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    If it works Madkater, fish it. I like fishing structure but only during the daytime when the flats are gonna be holding tighter to it. During the night and early morning they are gonna be roaming shallow.
    I use 7'0 MH tiger rods, with 320Penns gt2's , 80-100lb powerpro or 135lb mason tigerbraid, and Eagle Claw king kahles. I like an indestructable combo.
    I can't wait to tie into another flathead.....SOOOON!

7. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Once I Come Back Out Of Hibernation And Thaw Out, I Think I Will Spool Up With Some New Line I Bought This Fall. Inspect My Hooks. Throw Out The Dull And Bent Ones. Sharpen My Knives. Re-organize My Tackle Box From All The Times It Got Destroyed While Digging For Something In A Hurry. Clean, Inspect And Lube Up My Reels. The Rest Of The Time I Wll Be Out And Scouting For New Holes. I Need To Buy A New Net Also.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    About all I do is stock up on terminal tackle, and put new line on my reels...Then I get all bummed out waiting for winter to be over.

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Don't be bummed to much longer Flathunter. March is right around the corner.

10. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Everything was preped right after the weather got to cold for "Grandma" to fish. The days I don't hunt ducks or geese are the days I spend getting tackle ready for next season. I make sure the eyes aren't falling off my rods, spool new line and oil my reels. Make sure I have the "right" hooks for the conditions I'm going to fish. I tie enough hooks on leaders that it would be a quick change if I break off. In general clean house. I may build a new rod for one of the grand kids that is getting old enough to join us and that's what it's all about. Never be unprepared to go fishing.

11. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I don't really consider myself a flathead fisherman. I fish for channels mainly and a little bit of flats on the side.
    So, to get ready for season, I hope and pray the spot I find that day is a good one.;)

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what do i do to get ready? well, a lot of my spots are only accessible by canoe and some require a 30+ minute drive, so i pick a saturday or sunday in early march when the river is at normal pool and take a day-long trip checking out all the holes i fish. i do it to see how the winter floods have changed them, and to make sure access hasnt been blocked. this way when it comes time to fish im not traveling or floating to a hole just to find it isnt fishable and have to scurry to find another spot.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    inventory tackle to see what I need to buy

oil reels; change line if needed

drop the motor in some water at home and run it to "blow the cobs out"

charge battery

catch bait

go fishing

14. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Mostly I just go stir crazy after I have bought all the tackle I will need for the season. Over the weekend I spent 9 hours building one of sams bluegill traps. I had to stash that at a friends for fear my girlfriend would not be as proud of it as I am......