What do you cut out of your Fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tat2demon, May 27, 2009.

1. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    After filleting, what do you cut out? Some leave it whole, and some cut out the lateral line and the yellow strip across the top.

What do you prefer?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nate,Welcome to the BOC. To me it depends on the fish and the way I am cooking it. I like to smoke or grill fillets over 5 lbs,But some fish that size may have a huge amount of red meat on them,In general I usually remove ALL the red meat along the lateral line. on the upper part of the fillet if there is a definate line of different colored meat ,this is fat on blues it is harder to see it might be non existant on smaller fish as well. Channelcat usually have the largest amount of fat ,thats what the dark yellow alomg the back is. The more red meat and fat you remove ,the better quality of table fare you will have. In my Opinion,and cat over 3 lbs will geratly benifit by cutting the tail off while hanging by the head and bleeding out for a while. I feel this reduces the amount of red meat vastly.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the red line is grose cut it out the rest is good to go. i may trim some of the yellow if there is a bunch.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I throw away all red & yellow. Lose a lot of meat that way on river fish, not so much on lake fish.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't trim any. What I fillet is what I eat.

6. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    There was another post that discussed this but I cant seem to find it. Would this yellow strip be any good for channel bait? Been thinking of trying it tomorrow but don't want to waste my night if its a bad idea.