What do you consider to be a big catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Nov 10, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK, so what do you consider to be a big catfish?

For me it would be 15lb and bigger. My biggest cat was only about 5lbs. I'm gonna try for those big ole blues this winter.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I consider a nice cat like this
    Channel-10 pounds
    flathead-15 pounds
    Blue-20 pounds.

Any of those I am real proud of personally.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Channel + 10#
    Flathead +30#
    blue + 25#

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About the same as the others. Kinda depends on the waters though. If I catch a 10# cat from the local public lake, I think "dang". If I fish a bigger body of water a 10 pounder is not as exciting. A 25# cat regardless of species gets my heart pumping. Catman, you gotta find some water to fish in bro. I'm sure your methods are sound, but you need to get on some quality fish. What am I saying? I havent even caught a cat in over a month. The biggest channel that I've caught was 15#. That to me is a huge channel.

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Thanks for sharing. I do get quality fish as far as health, they all are real nice channels. But yeah I am hoping to smash my record this winter on Old Hickory w/ skipjack. Sorry you havent caught anything in a while. Try when the water goes up, before cold fronts and use whatever you got for bait. Good luck

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    anything above 8lbs because that was my biggest fish so far but all i have around here right now is channels until i go to the allegheny this summer.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    to me any thing over 20 but as far as challelcats ive never seen one over 10 except pictures and mylargest was i think 6.5 lbs to me that was big

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I console myself by looking down at the plate...if I need more fries....wish I could of done a little better.
    :smile2:

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If it'll fit in my skillet and is of legal length, that's a big fish I enjoyed catching.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    If it strips drag... whether its a 2lber on 4lb test (feels like a 30 on 25lb) or its a 38.95 lber on 25 lb... If it strips drag its a big fish...

to the kids i teach fishing at summer camp, anything bigger then a 3 inch sunfish is a big fish... including a 13 oz bullhead i caught...

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Depends on where I am fishing and what I am fishing for. Catfish anything over 10 pounds. with the exception of a bullhead 13 inches would be big to me.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    This equation defenitely depends on whats near each person. For me classifying things as big and as "trophy class" are different (not in that I keep the fish, but trophy fish in my mind is just a phrase for a non-typical fishing accomplishment)

So for me "big" is

channel- 12lb+
    blue-30lb+
    flathead-20lb+

13. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    To me big is always 1 once better than your personal best....that is what keeps it interesting. If your biggest fish is only 8 pounds but you only think 15 pounds is big, what fun is that! Each time out should be an adventure to catch a bigger and better personal best!

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A big cat to me is any fish over 1 lbs.

15. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    channel 10 plus flathead 25 plus blues 45 to 50 is a good fish

16. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    When you say "big," do you mean like: "Man that's a nice one." or do you mean: Jump off the boat shoot yourself in the foot big? A nice fish to me is anything over 5lbs. A huge fish is bigger than anything I've caught yet. The biggest flathead I've caught was 20+lb. Biggest channel was over 5lb. Biggest fish ever was a 40+ red fish. My neighbor caught a 50+ flat a couple years back. To me that is Streak Down Mainstreet big.

17. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I gotta agree with Matt on his thoughts! The guys from Mississippi are showing me the Blues. When I went there the first time I thought a 10 pounder was big, now it's 30+, flats are 40+ and channels are 10+. If I caught one in this range I would have the "Streak Down Mainstreet" feeling everytime!:dribble:

18. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    any fish over 50lb to me is big, but then it depends on species

dont get many 50lb sticklebacks lol