What do you consider a Pet?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by etexun, Oct 20, 2009.

1. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have a question. I was reading a post today about peoples pets. I saw a post about someones snake. Now guys, I just can't see a snake as a pet no matter how hard I try. I mean a pet to me is an animal that has shows some sign of affection for its owner. Snakes are just looking for their next meal. What are you thoughts on this? I have known people with snakes that they kept in their house. But, for the life of me I DON'T WANT A SNAKE IN THE HOUSE. What are your thoughts?

2. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    In my opinion a pet is a companion. A snake is a hobby. Just my .02 cents.

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    BINGO. See to me that is the perfect answer.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    my dog and cats. And i also consider my fish pets, when i walk into the room they greet me. ive even trained a few to eat worms and fish out of my hand

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    what about our water dragon?? he is very affectionate.. actually, i think he thinks, he is a dog or something:smile2:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's EXACTLY what I thought about the two who've entered these premises without permission. One lived, one died.

But a pet snake is a different story. :big_smile:

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used to have a python. kinda inherited from son. was about 5ft long. after kids went to bed, would let out to run the living room. would make it's tour, then get up in lazy boy chair with me, would go behind and around me so tail one side and head the other. then would just stare at tv while i rubbed head and watched tv. got married again and she made me choose between her and snake. make wrong chose and 10 yrs later got rid of her.
    gary

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    noun (plural pets)

Definition:

1. animal kept at home: an animal kept for companionship, interest, or amusement
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Until recently I've had snakes for 37 years.......most of my life. The biggest was a Burmese Python named "Lucy". I got her for a B-day present when she was 10 inches. She lived for over 20 years but she died a few years back at the length of 13'.

I guess if you don't like snakes then obviously you wouldn't consider them as pet. I've seen a lot of cats that are worthless unless they want feed and I've seen thousands of dogs that are chained up outside or fenced in a all year round....now that's what I don't consider a pet.

9. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    To me a snake is not a pet.If a snake comes around my place and I see it, then it just made a mistake. I also have a Dog that can't stand a snake and will kill every one of them he see's..Good Dog..

Wanna a pet? Get a Dog...

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    So since your SCARED you kill it ?

That's pretty lame ; (

I have Pit Bulls too, are ya scared of them too?? wanna try and kill them ?...

11. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I don't have a deep rooted fear of snakes. When I was a kid, a buddy and I used to catch hog nosed snakes and king snakes s. But I never considered them a pet. Just something wild I caught and kept for a while. A couple years ago out in my workshop a rat snake got in it. He was about 6ft long. I left him in there for several weeks. He was busy eating mice and rats and I would putter about and never pay him any attention. Then one day he crawled up on a shelf. It was head high in right right in front of where I was working. When he started hissing at me he had to go. I caught him and took him way out in the woods and let him go. I didn't kill him.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A pet is an animal that voluntarily interacts with humans.

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive seen soem snakes that seemed to be affectionate...but ive seen the same ones eat the family cat :smile2:

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Here is a few of my pets .

15. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Pet: N. An animal, bird, or fish one keeps for companionship; any favored or treasured thing. Adj. Treated or tamed as a pet. V. To stroke or caress gently. There you have it the definitions according to Webster. That's what a "Pet" is. :wink: :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Ray

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a 20 gauge that works well on snakes AND pit bulls:wink:

ain't scared of either of them, but this is my house and yard - me, my wife, and my dogs live here - uninvited varmints frequently meet their demise on these premises:big_smile:

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    THIS is what pets are:smile2:

Attached Files:

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    more "pets" :smile2:

Attached Files: