What Do You Consider a Fair Entry Fee For Tournaments

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 16, 2010.

What is afair entry fee for local tournaments?

1. $20

2. $40

3. $60

4. $80

5. $100

6. $120

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    We have touched on this before, and I wanted to post a poll. I am talking about local tournaments, like those sponsored by local clubs, and not major national sponsors.

What do you consider a reasonable entry fee for tournaments in the Carolinas???

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    if i had plenty of money it would not mater but 20 is fair enough that way i can fish many of them

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    well i was thinking 25.00 but it was'nt there so i picked 20.00.I think at 25.00 you can get more in a local tourny.

4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i think the $20 dollars a person works fine but i would love to see some tournys that are maybe $20 or $30 a boat. just some smaller ones. heck if i had the equiptment i would do it just for some just for fun tournies. i know its a little cheap but the cheaper they are the more you can fish.

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I say $60 per boat.$50 to the Pot and $10 to Big Fish Pot.I would rather see more competitors and less entry fee than more entry fee and less competitors.The payouts still work out about the same.If you are in Catfish Tournaments to make a living you are in the wrong profession.To me its all about the friendships formed and the fellowship.Winning a little money is just an added bonus with the bragging rights.

6. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's how the payouts are handled that determine if the fees are fair. Personally, I feel that anything under $100 per boat is within reason. By th time I fuel up, fill the bait tank, load the cooler, and get to the river water an extra $40 or $50 bucks one way or the other isn't usually a deal breaker.

It's not the fees that turned me off of most of the events I've seen, it was the rules regarding number of people in the boats. If you are trying to promote participation in the sport you should allow as many fishermen in any given boat as it can safely carry. My wife and I are always looking for the opportunity to get out and enjoy the outdoors with common minded people. The problem is we have another couple that fishes with us and most of the tournaments I've seen either limit the number of people in the boat or charge you more for extra riders. That would be understandable if having more people on your team gave you an advantage but if you are limited in the number of rods you can use or the number of fish you can weight in there is no advantage in having a bigger team. That being said, there should be no increase in fee.... just my two cents. Sorry about yanking your thread a little.

7. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i voted 100 the winner can make exspences then an fill like he one something if all you want is friends or dont want to spend the money just go fishing and if a club just wants compition make it $5 bucks an dont call it a tournament if you want big compition its got to be bigger money you get peoples attention like mine the roundhill

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....if you want big compition its got to be bigger money you get peoples attention...."

Sure, "big money" gets peoples attention, as long as they are not the ones putting up all the money! The economics of catfish tournament angling simply do not allow for high entry fees for local tournaments. I'm curious on determining what the benchmark is.

As for competition, that comes from having lots of seasoned anglers participating, not "big money". The Catawba Catfish Club proved that last season with several of their Lake Wateree tournaments that had 30 boats participating for an entry fee of $20 per person. So, the trick for any tournament series is to find the entry fee that allows more folks to enter the tournament than it deters.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    $80-$100 sounds good to me and will make a nice payoff pot.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I really think that $50 per boat with a $10 big fish pot is fair. I like doing it by the boat. It's the way we do it in the small bass club I started a few years back. Doing it per person I don't think is the way to do it. Honestly I just couldn't justify spending $100+ with a very slim chance of making any of it back. There are those with considerably more money than others but I think the vast majority of folks would be fine with $50. It's enough to make it interesting but not so much it makes people cringe when they hear the cost. $10 or $20, hell you may as well just fish for fun IMHO.

11. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I love my profession, however it doesn't pay much. I made that choice when I went to school. Do I wish I made more money, many times. Now that said, I'm sure many people like myself are in the same vote or out of work right now. To spend a lot of money to fish just isn't worth it to me. I would rather bring something home from a sporting goods store that I need rather than to blow my money in a fishing tournament. So I would like to see no more than 20-30 dollars for a tournament.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i think it all depends on what you are trying to get out of the tournament. if it is just a reason to get together and fish, then $20-30 is good. if it is to get the true competitors there, then 100+.

a true tournament fisherman that fishes for more than just fun, isn't going to fish a cheap tourney. a recreational, just for fun guy will fish it at a cheaper price as an excuse to get out of the house and possibly catch a winning purse that could pay for his day and a little more.

when selecting a price you need to consider how many places will pay out. if it all goes to first that will discourage people from entering no matter the price. however the farther you are going to pay out the less the big purse will be. i know with setting up poker tournies, people know that to win first is somewhat a matter of luck not just skill. so they want to see a payout that allows their skill to get them in the money along with the luck.

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    for a tournament every month 20 is fine then the two day tourneys I like 100 so its worth being there for two days

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...if it is to get the true competitors there, then 100+..."

I totally disgaree with that.

"True comeptitors" will be there with no entry fee. A "true compeitor" is in a tournament everytime he and another fisherman is on the same lake fishing!!

For true comeptitors it is about beating the other guy, not the money.

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That pretty much sums it up Dieter, you're certainly not going to make a living at it.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I put down $40, but we do $50 here with our events. We get a real good turnout and most people seem satisfied. Some have tried to convince me to raise it to 100, but I don't want to pay that every month either so 50 it is. $35 goes to purse, $10 to Big Fish, $5 to points championship pot

17. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We talkin per person or each boat? The higher entry fees will bog down participation on the monthly club trails.An annual tournament would be worth $100 easy.These days consider yourself lucky just to have extra money to get to fish.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The entry fee is pretty insignificant. FUEL costs and distance traveled, dictates whether I can come or not. It's a known fact that the more money in an entry fee, the more money that can be won, so I prefer the entry fee to be 60+$.

Bill in SC

19. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I think with this crowd on here its more bragging rights than the money!! Last year the same teams battled it out all year.Beating some of those guys is just priceless!:soldier:

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....The entry fee is pretty insignificant. FUEL costs and distance traveled...."

Folks are paying for fuel whether they are in a tournament or not. So, the entry fee is an additional cost on top of that.

I always hear people say, "I'll just go fun fishing and save the entry fee money", but I never hear anyone say, "I'll pay the entry fee and not fish!!"

"...I think with this crowd on here its more bragging rights than the money!!..."

I agree!

When I come home from a tournament I have won my wife always asks, "how much did you win" I always respond, "who knows, but I WON!!"

I think the real competitors are out for bragging rights, not the money.

I never remember how much money I lost or spent in a tournament, but I do remember who beat me!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010