What do you bait your minnow trap with.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by moondog58, Aug 18, 2009.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use crackers and bread to bait my minnow trap with.

But I have not had too much luck catching minnows this last couple of months.

What else could I try? Anyone have any good minnow baits?

2. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I'm fairly new at catching minnows, at first I used crackers and old bread but wasnt having much luck at it. I started to use a little bit of dry dog food, I was filling my nets in a very short time. Good luck

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Mike and Mark. I bait my traps with dog food, bread crackers and sometimes dead fish. Good luck on the minner quest

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I would guess your using the cylinder style minnow trap for I'm guessing creek minnows and chubs. Bread and crackers work, ok. What we use is wet dog food. Mighty dog to be exact. but anything cheap. If your bait trap has a bait cage to hold you bait. simply open the can and disperse half the amount into the cage. If it does not. simply just put half the can in a small piece of hose tie both ends in a not. Or you can just punch several holes into the can and place the hose or can inside the trap. The wet food puts out a scrent trail for the baits to follow. Works best in creeks or rivers with current to carry the scent trail. But does also work well in ponds or lakes.. Remember some states prohibit the catch of bluegills and sunfish in traps or net, hook and line only. check your states regulations.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use white stryofoam pieces. It works. When I put the trap out I try to get the stryofoam in the middle part of the trap. I am going to tie it in the middle when I set them again.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I usually just use a slice of bread. Somebody told me to try hot dogs. It makes sense, with all the small panfish i used to catch as a kid on hotdogs.

7. festus

festus New Member

I use bread or crackers. Have heard Cheetos are good bait. With all these baits I'd advise some type of bait cage inside the trap to hold the bait on the bottom. Otherwise the bait will float to the top and minnows can nibble on it from outside the cage. I've seen chubs and shiners strip a trap from outside in an hour or two.

Haven't tried another bait that has been recommended--onions.

8. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I use bread,onions,crackers,salami or dry dog food(whatever I have)It seems if I want the big chubs & minnows, the dog food is best.I started catching baby bullheads in my traps, that I leave overnight with bread.Will a 3"-5" bullhead catch flathead or is it too small?

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    .Will a 3"-5" bullhead catch flathead or is it too small?[/QUOTE]

I like 6"10" bullheads for bait but I would use a smaller size if I couldn't get any bigger. You never know that size may be the thing to get a monster.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I keep a couple cylinder style traps in a small creek and make sure I keep the entrance pointed downstream in a spot where the stream narrows down,I don't use any bait,they just swim upstream and funnel right into the trap. On ponds a cheap can of catfood works good as does a couple scoops of canned sweet corn,the sweet corn will get you lots of little gills.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Knot some liver in panty hose and tie it in the middle of ya trap. I can load a trap with minners fast doen that and if I leave it out over night I always get a few bullheads and even madtoms.

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in my gill trap i pour sweet corn in baby formula can and cut a few slits in the top...been working pretty good on small gills..not too many big ones want jsut corn juice, throw some loose corn in there if your mesh is small enough and it works great for the bigger ones

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I tried the trap thing and had no luck at all in a lil creek by my house..After a couple days the trap disappeared(stolen I assume) and wasn't catching anything anyway.I just decided to use my cast net..In 2-3 throws I have more than enough minnows and other bait to fish with..

14. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    potato, it doesnt fall apart for a long time.

15. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I have been using the same hot dog for 3 months now. wrap it in metal window screen so they can't eat it and you don't have to rebait it.

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have a bait pond that i feed a high protein pellet food so i just use the pellets. And the pellets they dont eat i dump in the creek so they can get bigger

17. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I've always just used light bread.

18. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Bread here, too, all wadded up in a tight ball. Tried hard cat food once, but mostly got crawdads. I would like to try that styrofoam trick though.

19. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Just to bump this thread...I learned this little trick a few years ago and went from catching 4 or 5 to catching 40 or 50 at a time. Bait your trap with whatever bait you like (bread or dogfood are all good) and add a half of yellow onion, diced into 1/4 inch pieces. I'm not sure why it works but it surely does. Please give it a try and comment back on your results. I know it works for me.

Tight lines.

20. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    the best i've ever used is can cat food liver flavor.gonna have to try an onion tho.