What do you add to your jig?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Stevej, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    What attractent do you add to your jigs? Myself, crappie nibbles, power bait honey worms, Gulp nightcrawler pieces and Gulp bass worms cut into pieces. Use the nibbles the most but if anything touches the jig you lose it. Was wondering if anyone used the trout power bait, looks like more of a paste to me, don't know, but I think I read somewhere of someone using it. What do you think? Know some use waxworms also.

2. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    been catchin a few crappies on 1/8th oz jig,with charteuse mr twister tiiped with a 3 inch minnow.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, depending on the time of year, I use minnows in summer, and in winter I like to use swedish pimples/kastmaster with crappie nibbles on them.

:0a26:

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a 1/8 jig with salt & pepper tube, red/chartreuse tube, sometimes a 2-3" minnow will get the bigger ones. I havent tried the Gulp baits for crappie but probably will this year.

5. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    For the areas I fish here in Ohio, I use a white or chartrusse 1/8 oz jig head with a live minnow. I catch a variety of fish on this setup depending on where I have the bobber set and the time of year I am using it. I had alot of luck with channels during the heat last summer at Tappan Lake in particular.

6. dickieboy

dickieboy New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove, TN
    Usually nothing but when they get real finicky I go to the crappie nibblets or minnow paste injectors. Both seem to work about the same but the paste seems to last longer as it is imbedded into the tube. I use either the chartruse or silver sparkle nibblets.

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I don't do alot of jigging in the spring, I prefer to use bass minnows with
    very little weight...seems to weed out the smaller fish. After the spawn I jig in deeper water using 1/8 oz jigs and chartreuse twister tails. Waxworms are a good choice as well as maggots. I read somewhere a
    crappie fisherman said he used anything as long as it was green.

8. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I had an uncle who tipped his jigs with salmon eggs. He always did good with crappie. I haven't tried it myself though.