What do yall think?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Oct 27, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I'd like to get some feedback from some of you veteran Flathead hunters out there.

One spot that I have fished literally dozens of times is really baffling to me. I have been unable to catch fish here on a consistent basis. In fact the only time I have caught fish here have been during full and dark moon phases. :confused2: During these moon phases the bite is pretty good but the rest of the time I come up with nothing just about everytime. I'll start by decribing the area in detail.

The place is where a small river meets a real big river. I put a photo of the spot below but in the photo the water is extremely low. It is usually much higher than in the picture but you can get a good idea of the layout.

1. On the north section of the discharge you can see a small cover area behind a rock jetty. This area has been good at times as when the water is higher there is a good eddie in this spot. I caught 2 good ones right in between the middle of the mouth and this cove area.

2. On the south tip of the mouth of the disharge and for about a mile there is a long riprap bank that is dotted with sections of revetment. I caught several good ones fishing this riprap bank at night on Live bait.

3. In the main channel of the smaller river I have only caught Gar so I generally never fish in the small river.

I have pulled many long shifts fishing all over this spot, many from 8-12 hours without a fish. I most always use Live Bluegills or cut ones fresh out of the live well. Bluegills are indigenous to the river but I don't know if they are very prominent here. I always catch them from a local pond and take them to the river. could this be part of my lack of consistent success? Anyway, take a look at the spot and consider my situation? What could I be missing or not doing right? Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to share some hard earned experience!:wink:

Attached Files:

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    try some shad catch some of the boat fisherman coming in with some left over

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the place looks a lil shallow and void of cover to hold them consistently. if it rains they should be there. if the main river dams effect the water level they should be there. for instance, if they open the dam below it will act like a rain and siphon food from the lil river. if the dam below closes and the river rises enough they will go up into the lil river to hunt. they should be holding somewhere close in the big river though. thats where i would look when conditions are stable.

as for the moon, i feel the weather and river level are the main factors in location and activity level of the fish. bait is bait also. they dont need to be big nor indigenous to the river to work. bigger bait is better dont apply IMO. you put a bait in front of them they will eat it weather its big or small. as a matter of fact they just mite not hit a bait thats too big on occasions. if you could post a pic that shows a mile up and down stream it just mite help us help you brother.

tim

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What I am thinking is that the place may simply not hold the fish consistently. Tributary mouths can be red hot at certain times - when warmer or colder or fresh water or a bunch of bait is flowing out - but they are not necessarily always a draw.

5. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    you might also want to try to catch your gills there in the river and use them more than the pond ones i seem to have better luck that way

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    This could be from a number of different reasons. I would say the water level would be a big one. But I really enjoy fishing tributaries and the one I fish if you move twenty feet to the left you wont catch a thing but if you move twenty feet to the right and cast as far as you can you will be in the hole and catch fish alot. Their might be a hole out their your only reaching some of the time in the deeper water or they might not be in their all of the time. The time of year is a big factor also but your talking about moon phases. I would move down river just a little and fish the bottom of the Y in the spot your fishing.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Some holes produce fish during high water conditions.

Other holes produce fish during low water conditions.

Sames goes with seasons, some spots produce fish in spring but not summer. Some spots produce fish in summer but not fall. Some places only produce fish in fall and not spring or summer.

That's why most big time flathunters have a plethora of spots/holes they fish depending on the season, water levels, clarity, and current.

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    You are correct about the rain situation. At least my last good one which was 28 lbs. I caught here during a rain. I have also caught some here during a "fast rise" that was going on about a month ago.
    As for cover, there is very little visible wood cover in the river but lots of rocks and holes, I'm sure there are some good spots where the revetment slabs have been washed out and buckled over too.
    Anyway as far as the depth goes, I have personally never seen the water as low as it is in this picture, at least not this year. I found this picture on "Google Earth" and I suspect it was taken last year during a drought.
    I really appreciate all of you alls feedback. Thanks and keep it coming.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Patrick, I kinda think there is not enough cover to hold them being they are ambushers . Just my 2 cents , good luck and maybe Rollo will key in on this one

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I would have to agree with you but with the current as strong as it is on the Mississippi I don't see wood cover anywhere, all of the wood in the river seems to be floating
    . There is however tons of riprap south of this spot. In fact a mile or more stretch of it along the bank. Very much like the riprap you would find below a large dam. I have caught several Flats fishing on the riprap but even so I've got skunked allot on the riprap too.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    There is another thing no one mentioned.....
    Getting skunked occasionally, is part of the game. The fish could be sitting there but unwilling to eat due to who knows what. Also if you pull some fish out of there I would suspect it might take a few days for new fish to find the area. Another tought is that they may just be moving in and out of the river and it's not a holding spot at all, thus the smallest level or temp changes may make them hesitate to go into the river. I would find a few more spots near by that work and be able to try them all out each trip and see if you can find a pattern.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was thinking the same thing.. A feeding area per say.