what do yall look for?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishcrazyjr, Apr 1, 2008.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what do y'all look for in a bait shop to make it a good one?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Types of live bait they carry,minnows,crawdads,goldfish etc.
    types of line they have, hooks and sizes
    Different type of poles/reels.
    WE don't have many bait shops close by us so we just make do. One of the main reasons I try getting my own. If a bait shop waited for me they'd go broke quick.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think its time to start going with species specific shops. It is pretty easy to get gear for bass fishing, but nearly impossible to get gear for big cats.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Just like John said.

Different bait. nightcrawlers, minnows, frozen baits.
    Good selection of rods and reels.
    Tackle. Hooks, weights, line, lures, etc.
    good prices. It's hard for a bait shop to have cheap prices.

I usually catch my own nightcrawlers, net my own shad and alewifes. buy alot of my stuff from catfish connection or cabelas for that matter.

Save alot of money that way!!

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    A wide variety of tackle and a greater selection of live bait than the others is what makes a good baitshop to me.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    One that has what I need, when I need it!

7. rodbender

rodbender New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I look for variety in bait as well as tackle. If I can't find what I want I ask and they can usually get it for me pretty soon.

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hopefully one with cheap bait and good hot coffee!!:wink:
    Deb

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    After living in a Fl fishing hotspot (Cocoa Beach/Melbourne Area) and visiting many of those the memories that are the strongest come from the ones with the best bait and as said before hot coffee.

There should be a "Liars Bench" where fisherman can kinda hang when the fishing isnt so good or weather is bad.Good hot coffee will make your spot the spot to hang.A good following of older folk and locals is a must.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What's a bait shop?

Seriously, though, seems like most all of my tackle comes from WalMart (little stuff) or mail order or the internet (bigger purchases). I catch most all my own bait - partly because the shops around home or on the way to the river don't carry anything I would want. Plus most of the bait shops - not the fancy fishing tackle stores (they are full of the wise a$$ youngsters that think they are God's gift to fishing - I try to never giver them any money) carry just bass or flyfishing stuff and the like - the actual bait shops are usually more like dive bars with a few hooks, few sinkers, and a cooler of worms in little cups and maybe a cricket cage in the corner. Spend 2 minutes in one and you'll smell like cigarette smoke for the rest of the week.

11. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    one of the things I look for is the pictures of catfish that have been cought . also good selection of bait then tackle.

12. olyeller

olyeller New Member

State:
    Kingsland, TX
    I own a fish camp/marina in Central Texas. My folks bought it in 1959 and my wife & I bought it from them in 2000.

Before Walmart came to be, people bought their gear in bait shops like we had.

Now, most kids are too impatient to fish, wanting instant gratification or computer games, and most grownups don't know how. The fisherman on the Lake now usually throws artificials and scat around in high-priced "bass"boats.

I try to keep a useful choice of basic gear, two sizes of minnows, worms, shrimp and some catfish bait, but mostly the minnows die or I use them, and the rest goes bad with age. I've got crappie jigs on the wall from 1995. My wife has repackaged them, but they are still some left even though they are good, productive jigs.

People just don't fish like they used to, and it's really hard to keep a bait shop open. Mine is now a side line; we cater mainly to gasoline customers and burgers, and rent lots to our full-time customers.

The BOC and other orgs such as it will really help to revive one of our best national pastimes. Keep fishing, friends, and help us Bait Shop owners out. Just be glad you're in an area with people like Griz and where lots of you fish; I'm surrounded with Yuppies.

Olyeller

13. olyeller

olyeller New Member

State:
    Kingsland, TX
    Thanks for your comments. I'll try to add some of your ideas to my operation.

14. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The best bait shop in the state(missouri) as far as I know is down south of camdenton it has every size minnow , goldfish, several sizes of crayfish, frogs, leeches , frozen shad gizzards, dough bait ,coolers , tackle including 100 packs of lead head jigs for only 7 or 8 bucks and even more reasonable plastics!

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    A good slection of bait and tackle, Pics hanging on the wall and people playing cards and hanging out, and a person that knows what there talking about. You don't get that with walmart. Even a big sporting good stores the young kids they have working there is lucky to know what a fish is.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    This says it all:wink:

17. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I do not bass fish and that means I spend all my time fishing for catfish and getting bait. I would like to see a bait shop on a river or lake that had everything I needed. Bait would be live perch, goldfish, crawdads, and big earth worms. Frozen carp, shrimp, and shad would also be offered. Some of the punch baits would be nice also. I would like to see green braided line from size 36 up to size 120. Tackle would everything wal-mart does not sell. Put some made up jugs and lines on the shelf. I mean quality items. Stock the good swivels, hooks,ect. I could not find a large landing net at any tackle shop last time I went fishing and forgot mine. Those are some of my thoughts. Cost of goods at tackle stores are more than wal-mart. I don't mind that at all if the products are quality made. With the cost of gas running to wal-mart 20 miles away to save a buck is silly. I make it a practice to buy all my bait and tackle from this one tackle and bait store at one lake I go to twice a year for a few days at a time. This guy ain't getting rich and I would hate to see him go out of business. I support folks like him. Catfishjon