What do ya'll do with your fish after cleaning?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, May 6, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have always been told to soak fresh fish in salt water overnight before packaging or eating. I was talking to a old man that was fishing by me at Little River last night and he was telling me that he soaks his in 7-UP. Anyone else do this? what do you soak your fish in?

2. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Daniel, I always soak fish overnight in salt water.Blues and channels I soak overnight, rinse,then soak overnight again. JMO but it seems to help, especially if your cats were caught in real muddy water. Never heard of 7up before. Everyone has an opinion though, might try it myself. Allen

3. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I just soak mine in some milk for about 10-15min

4. Ardiva

Ardiva New Member

State:
    Kenai, AK
    If it's salmon, I just dip a few choice fillet pieces of it in either soy sauce or wasabi and eat it raw. The Japanese call this: "Sashimi". I guess I'm just a sucker for Sashimi the most.

After that comes Gene's Beer-Batter Fried Fish. :)

5. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Oh man, that sounds so nasty! But I would like to try it.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I brine my fillets also. I haven't tried adding any flavors yet, but will soon experiment with that. Soaking in salt water will moisten the meat, but it is not useful in killing bacterial pathogens and parasites, only cooking till done will do that. Our freezers at home don't get cold enough to do any good either. So please be careful when eating your catch. Some nematodes are big enough to see and you can pick them out. Others are small, clear and hard to see, I say again; cook your fish! You don't want a bunch of worms growing in ya now, do you? lol:big_smile:

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    most people soak their fish in salt water to remove the blood taste , salt will bleach out the fish meat and prevent the appearence of brown meat after cooked , i cut most if not all blood veigns from the meat before packaging i used to freeze in salt water but now i worry about to much salt intake so mine are frozen in plain water

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    dude, if u got worms YOU CAN SEE, THEN THROW THAT FOOKIN MEAT TH FOOK OUT. thats just nasty, lol. i wouldnt try cookin it to kill that nasty stuff. I tell ya tho, I am gonna try soakin my fish in 7-UP tho, sounds like it might be tasty. usually tho, i jus soak in salt water over night, rinse then put in container an cover up w/water to freeze if I aint gonna eat right away.

9. Ardiva

Ardiva New Member

State:
    Kenai, AK
    Which one..the Sashmi or Gene's Beer-Batter Fish? lol

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of soaking the fillets in salt water, milk, 7-up (sprite, etc.), but I've never bothered with any of it. First of all, it just seems like it would change the taste of the fish (Isn't that what you're trying to do here?), and I like it the way it comes from the river or lake. Of course, there are some exceptions. For example, once the water in the river starts getting warm, the water in the discharge bay at the nuclear power plant gets hot, which makes the fish too mushy for my taste, so I don't fish for them there during the summer.

11. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We soak overnight in saltwater too, Daniel, but the 7-up sounds interesting... I'll try it!
    I just froze some in the big ziplock baggies this morning, in plain water - to prevent freezer burn. Umm... make sure those baggies are zipped tight :roll_eyes:
    Had one open up on me and the freezer-room floor got an unscheduled moppin. lol. Good luck!:lol:

12. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I shoulda asked...
    if you bring home a catch after night fishin, like @2am, and want to hold off on cleaning them for 6-8 hours, do you think it's okay to refrigerate the whole fish in a garbage bag just overnight? As long as they're kept real cold, they should be alright... or not such a great idea?
    Thanks!

13. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Carolyn,

I leave the fish in a chest full of ice overnight and never have any troubles with them. They fillet up real nice the next morning.

A few time a year we like to smoke our fish. When we do this I like to soak them in 7-up for an hour or two. After soaking I dust them with brown sugar and then spices. It is similar to a rib rub.

We also eat salmon raw. I like to take Norri (sp?) which is the seaweed sheets with "sushi" rice and rice vinegar. Most well stocked grocery's will have everything you need. You can put just about anything you like in it. you roll them up in a small bamboo mat. I am sure that most folks have seen some version of this at any Chinese buffet. I have heard them called California rolls and also sushi rolls.

Dave

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm a disciple of Doug Stange/In-Fisherman.

To greatly summarize his advice, kill, clean, wash in ice water, pat dry, and keep the fish as cold as possible, without freezing, until cooking. He does not recommend soaking the fish in anything...dry and cold is the bottom line.

15. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Hiya Hope - fresh fish on ice should be perfectly okay for several hours until you have time to clean them. Along the coast fishing boats keep their catch on ice (sometimes for days) until they reach the docks where they are also kept on ice until sold or processed that day.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Take your fish and cut their tails off and put them back into your livewell to bleed completely out. They will swim and push more of the blood out this way then simply cutting the tails off and hanging them..also easier when it comes to cleaning them. The fillets will have very little if any blood left in the meat. I fillet my fish and when I get home rinse them in cold water and place into a big pan with plain water and let them soak overnight. I do this mostly to firm the meat up to fillet the red meat out of the fillet....also taking the fat and lateral lines off the fillets also. The meat while very cold is just easier to me to fillet the red meat off. I also if up too late to clean my fish after bleeding out throw them into a ice chest with a couple frozen two liters until I'm ready to clean them. I've kept fish in a ice chest for a couple of days before filleting them. The heat of the summer time can kill fish in a livewell pretty quick if your on the water all day. It's best to put them on ice until you have time to clean them. A good way to tell if your fish has gone bad before cleaning is to look at the gills...when they turn white they have gone bad....red and pink are good to eat.

17. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I soak mine in beer. It's the best I have found so far. I add one can/bottle in a gal sized ziplock bag and fill the rest up with water and one tsp of salt. I soak for 24-48 hours( in the fridge), open up the zataran's and eat until I'm sick LOL!

If I am going to put the meat in the deep freeze I just add the salt and water then freeze.

18. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    David, sorry it took me so long to get back here and read this! I dunno about sushi, but smoked salmon is good stuff :lol:

Definitely gonna scrub up one of our big ole ice chests and dedicate it to be a fish cooler for our next catch. When ya get home in the middle of the night and resort to cleaning them at the kitchen sink, somebody's gonna have an awful mess to clean up... and the smell! Storing them on ice till daylight and workin them over OUTSIDE sounds like a deal to me! Thanks :smile2:

19. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, Larry.
    Besides the late night mess, another reason this sounds like a good deal to me is because I don't like to have to rearrange the fridge at 2AM in order to accomodate pans/bowls of fish fillets soakin in water... lol.
    Even once they're filleted, I can see soakin them in icewater in the cooler instead of tryin to make room in the refrigerator.
    And I learned :confused2: don't use a plastic bowl to soak the filets unless that's all yer ever gonna use that bowl for again... can't get rid of the fishiness afterwards.

20. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    To remove the fish odor from the plastic bowls add some lemon juice,fill with water and let them set for a while. The odor should be gone.

catman george