what do yal thank about mercury boat motors

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by big pappa, Sep 9, 2009.

1. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i have a opportunity to get a 99 model mercury 90 horse , with a skeeter bass boat and trailer for 1200 bucks, i was thinking about buying it for the motor and selling the boat and trailer,, but i have not heard much good about the mercury motors, but some people say the bigger ones are good,, i need a bigger motor on my boat,, its a 20-72 sea-ark and that 90 would do much better than the 40 that's on it now !!! just looking for some advice,,

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have the Merc Bigfoot 50 hp on my pontoon. I like it very well. Easy on fuel and quiet. Doesn't go fast but I can get in shallow water.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They are like any other mechanical appliance... some good, some not so good. The only thing I have against Merc's is they are harder, a lot harder to work on than an Evinrude. So, if the price is about the same, I'll buy the 'rude every time.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I had a 40 hp on the pontoon I use to have and a 50 hp on the boat I have now and have not had any problems whatsoever. I have been very pleased with mine.

6. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    They make big trotline anchors.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends on who you ask.
    Ask that to a Yamaha mechanic and he'll probally talk crap about a Mercury.:smile2:
    I like anything that starts when I turn the key and causes few if any problems.
    I like something that I can get parts for and get them without having to order them from 3 states away.
    I like a motor that someone locally works on reasonable.

8. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    it wasnt in as good a shape as was told , and it was a 80 horse, but would make someone a good boat with a little tlc and money invested,, thanks for your input!!!!!!

big pappa