What do ya Think?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by luckey wade, Jan 14, 2009.

1. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a chance of a lifetime . To go on a fishing trip to the James river.
    Theres a few guys that are going for sure.My friend an I are thinking about going.But hes having hardtime with getting off work.Which we make for a good team.And I have another Friend that wants to go.But
    thinks ,If you go fishing you just threw your pole in the water an fished,
    Im new to fishing an I like to make a plan of attack.Ive just been very LUCKEY to catch good fish.An had another friend show me the ways his Grandfather flathead fished .Whiched weve now sperated ways.Now the James river is another type of cat fishing BLUE CATS .Sounds like a fun vaction!!!!I feel that I would not beable to have a plan.And would just spend my$$ on a trip gone bad!
    also my friend would lose too. I think to pay a charter is my best .
    Should I just wait for a friend an take my boat.Or book my captain.
    350 aday for 3 guys is alot of Money . 24 hours on the James river is Priceless!What do ya think?
    Luckey Wade

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take a guide Randy, I did months of research on that river, googled everything possible, talked to everyone on this site for help, bought maps, and felt like I knew enough, but, once on the water its different, and you feel pressed for your time there to be productive!.... Yes, we did pretty darn well. But, you can't bank on that. I would spend the extra money to learn the ends and outs. Then, you can have a better idea on what you need to do on your own.. I take it your going for numerous days, probably guide one day, and then fish in your boat after? That is a different river than what you are used to, and alot to learn with the different incoming and outgoing tides.. I would get a guide, or sweet talk your brother s-man in some help. They took a guide a couple days and ended up having a fabulous trip!!! :wink: rollo

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i think i would take a guide,at least on the first trip.pay close attention to him so you can learn what he is doing and looking for in the river for the fish.then maybe the next time around,then you can take your boat and you won't be jumping into it completely without no clue where to go or what to look for in it.

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im with the rest of the guys. I def. would take a guide for the first day or so, that would be a bummer getting down there and not being able to get on some fish. Them guides know that river like the back of there hand. Its one of them deals where I think you will be able to relax more and not feel the pressure of having to do all the work to make sure your friends have a good time. Really 350 a day and they supply everything isnt that bad of a deal. Spend the money Randy and enjoy urself cause ya never know If ya ever will do it again! Good Luck Bro!

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    A guided trip on strange water is the way to go. If you are figuring on staying for a week or so get a guided trip for a couple of days at least. While on the guided trip soak up all the info you can as to what to look for and where to find fish. Good luck and tight lines on your trip.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I wouldnt take a guide simply because I am a glutton for punishment...LMAO!! :smile2: From the tactics I have seen on the James from videos and other threads, the fishing part didn't seem much different that catching the blues down here. Rollo did make a good point thought about the tides, thats way over my head. If I went I would not hire a guide, but it would be more of a money issue for me. I think I would get more enjoyment out of trying to catch them myself, but thats just me. It is a long and expensive trip though if blue cats are kind of new to you though, a guide may be your best bet. I know I am jealous for sure! But I am heading down the Louisville in a few weeks to catch some big blues myself, good luck to you if you go man. We gotta get you guys back down here soon.:wink:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good luck to you T-bull in Louisville. I agree on the money thing also. I didn't have the extra money when I went to the James, but was also thinking as you are. It was fun to be able to try to catch fish without a guide. The biggest issues down there is getting bait. I took 12-15 gal. bags full of frozen shad down there. I didn't buy a gill net, and had a throw net. The loanwizard bought a gill net and, s-man, and tspergin gave me a bunch of fresh bait which definetely helped in catching fish after they learned how and where to run it. Fresh bait is much better than frozen in my opinion. So, there are many other things to consider if you are going to go that far and try to wing it. The local bait shop didn't sell them big cutters that them guys got netting. And the guide will take you out early before the trip if you want to learn to run a gill net as well:wink:Then you know where to go to run your own gill net.. Guess thats part of the ends and outs though. Either way, I can send you some advice Randy, but likesaid if you got the extra money I would guide on the first day down, then fish a couple more days from your own boat. JMO.. Goodluck, let me know when you decide...rollo

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    If i were to do that i would get the guide the first day, i would also take the boat and fish the rest of the week on what i learned from the guide and on the BOC, that would be the way to go i think..thats how i learned to fish lake erie :wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if your gonna be there a week, maybe try your own boat the first day and if ya get into fish then forget the guide, if ya don't then get a guide the second day and have them show ya the ropes and then take your boat out the rest of the week again

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Randy, If you have to decide today, I'd go with the Guide the first day and maybe the second. Like you said, It's a trip of a lifetime. That will be money well spent.

You will come back with more photos than you can post.
    It's your trip, make it what you want