What do ya think of this idea ??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Damian_Storm, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have a 14' v-bottom and i want to use a 70lb thrust vector trolling motor...it's a 24 volt ..i want to keep an on board battery charger on there but, ofcourse it would need a 110 recepticle...what do you think if i put a power inverter on there to give me the 110 outlet ...anyone think it would work?

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Why not just hook up the onboard battery charger to an extension cord hooked up to the shore power (land based source)?

You obviously cannot power an inverter off your onboard battery and expect an onboard charger to charge that same battery.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The inverter will pull more power than the charger can put in ,so in short you will only kill the battery. That is even if the inverter will push the charger you have. People have toyed with the Idea of propetual motion for years and it is not feasable!!!

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I thought the exact same thing when I read that.....:0a28:

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have an idea that is maybe better than what your thinking and cheaper. Put a 110 volt on board charger in your boat, get a long extension cord and hook it up to your neighbors outside outlet at night and since your leaving early in the morning to go fishing they will never know. Now let me explain PRISON to you, this is a place where people go that have been stealing electricity from their neighbors, so don't do this, I'm only joking. lol

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    You may want to look into solor chargers.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The solar chargers I've seen advertised put out so little amperage that the amount of charge you get isn't worth the trouble. There's nothing wrong with the idea of having on-board chargers, but you'll have to come up with a way to park your boat overnight within extension cord reach of a 110v plug in. Shouldn't be a problem if you pull your boat out of the water at night, but if you're camping at a location where you can simply pull it up on the bank...well, have you thought about a small gasoline generator?

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Solar chargers for ocean going sail boats cost$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. To charge a bat with a solar charger the pannel would have to cover the boat. I asked a engineer about putting one on my boat for the same reason. He explained it to me with a smile.
    Bill

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    It wont work if you are planning on using the batteries to charge themselves. The loss to coversion is too high. I would suggest solar panels with a voltage regulator. You could get a 15 watt pannel that if possitioned properly will do wonders for battery charge. Pop Mechanics just had a article on a guy who uses solar for his home. The cost is really going down and I have even seen a few solar boats.

10. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i might try to check out some solar chargers..i didn't know if useing the inverter inline with the charger would work or not...i have never messed with an inverter so i didn't know i they would work off of each other enough to keep a charge or not...even though a certain few above wanna ack like that i am an idiot for asking the question..you don't see to many 110 power hookups on the river....most squirrells wont let me hook up to them..as for the others , thanks for the info...i'll check out other options...

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You could just get four batteries... two in the boat, two on charge and swap them out as needed. Probably cheaper than the other ways your looking. lol

12. trlrtrash

trlrtrash New Member

State:
    prairie du chien wi.
    i have a solar charger on my boat....left outside in wisconsin all winter...30 below zero....4 ft. of snow.....battery stayed fully charged all winter...got my charger from a farm supply store, the kind you use on electric fences....this is the same charger the corp of engineers use on the channel markers up and down the mississippi....cost less than 50 bucks....this has worked for me for 3 years:)

13. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've heard some of these solar chargers actually work pretty well.

Good luck,
    Jeffro

14. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    those sound really promising..the biggest reason i am worried about it is 1;this is my first boat and first trolling motor so i have zero expirience with either.. 2; i would hate to be 2 miles down river with no juice...so i am trying to b prepared...i will also have the livewell on a timer so it wont be on all that much and i will have the fishinder , but only long enough to check spots out..they may get their own battery anyway..thanks for the ideas guy !!!

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Damian. As far as feelin ya was called an idiot. I figure a good arm bar on em should take care of that. LOL!

16. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    LMAO...i most likely just over reacted...i was trying to ask a serious question and i guess it just struck me wrong...