what do ya think happened to this catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by varmint_sniper, May 17, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    he was caught summer of 2006 and has almost no tail and i heak of a bruse on his side IMG_2227.jpg he was 8lbs 9 oz on the dot and he fought like a healthy fish and took a live bluegill we caught him while fishing a tourney any ideas?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Probably escaped from a large flathead attack

3. FreeWorldFishing

FreeWorldFishing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd say either attacked by a flathead or muskie or possible hit by a boat prop.

4. Cw606

Cw606 New Member

State:
    Kentucky Ashland
    Turtle??????

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    genetic defect maybe... I've caught some weird looking deformed fish before...... no lip- some stuff like that.
    I posted a blue cat that I caught last summer... It was about 10 pounds or so, and was ALL HEAD lol, with big bulging eyes and a long, boney anorexic looking body .... took a larger than hand size gill.
    Man that dude was weird looking. People who eat river fish are NUTS, lol:eek:oooh:

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm thinkin it might be its just an old fish.The bruise might be poor circulation from old age.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm thinking the sky's the limit on saying what happened to that fish!! Like what was said in previous posts. Big fish attack, boat prop, turtles, etc. I'm really going with the bigger fish attack because of the tail fin is missing some of it. Looks to be a fairly new injury. At least it didn't affect it's feeding habits and appears to be still healthy!!

8. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    when we released him or her she or him swam away strong and quickley

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Sure looks like a boat prop. Was the other side marked at all? Sometimes it makes you wonder on these fish I'll tell you. Seen some very strange things on fish in my times,,,

10. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a channel cat last year that appeared to have been swimming around for quite some time with a stringer hanging out of its mouth. In fact, I caught it by hooking the stringer. The fishes mouth was deformed by the stringer being there. The fish weighed about 5 pounds and gave one heck of a fight.

11. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    as far as the tail bigger fish mabey a toothy one but not the bruise snapper or toothy fish would have scarred and scraped it up, boat prop is my best guess but they all are pretty much guesses

12. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    Guys the bruse on the fish was only on the 1 side and it seemed fresh lets keep this going iam likeing the answers were comeing up with

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Injury during nesting is my guess

Dany

14. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    no one else has even a guess shourly we havent heard from all the members

15. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe it got hit by a rock some kid skipped across the water???:confused2:

16. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This hen Steelhead had very similar wounds and not much tail left from spawning. She was beat up big time, Take a look.

Attached Files:

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some evil and demented little boy caught the fish and was torturing the fish and he somehow got away.