What Do Ya Think About The Weather???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 14, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This weather has been weird compared to past years. rollo

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It kind of reminds me of the old days. When it used to actually get cold when it was supposed to.:smile2:

I remember growing up and it being very cold for halloween. In recent years, halloween has almost been balmy. If it snows before thanksgiving, it would feel as if I were a kid again...aside from my grey hair. :wink:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well ROb .... you might get your wish ... forcast rain mixed with snow for this Saturday ... Garry- :confused2:

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    Rollo it certainly sucks for doing overlays if you know what i mean i hate hammering in the damn rain

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We had the coolest July on record, which I think delyed the spawning with flatheads..They are usualy in the deepholes I fished by mid august, but they never showed up..Now we are having one of the coolest falls on record which is destroying the fall bite.. very strange year, constant front coming in a=every few days...we really never had a stable weather patern.

A very disapointing year... i think the flatheads started to spawn in late June, then the water temps droped in July, so they staied in a spawning mode but never really spawned..I caught a flathead on october 7th wich was still dripping eggs.

My worst year in a long time flathead fishing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    seems like its been a pretty cool summer here and snow in the forecast this weekend,,,,,,what was it al gore is saying??? global warming ? :roll_eyes: lmao :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For me it was great until about now. It was awesome in the summer when the days were nice and cool. Maybe this cooler summer is why I caught so many blues.

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IT SUCKS BIG TIME. ALL THOSE THAT AGREE RAISE YOU RIGHT HAND. SOME ONE START COUNTING....

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    The fishing was definitely off for me this year, caught a total of 11 flatheads but did land my new personal best from the Ohio River a 17 lbs 12 oz............also landed 40 channels with the biggest being a 8 lbs 8 oz fish............the weather has definitely been weird all year..........and i agree i think the Fall bite for flatties has been ruined by the constant weather changes !!!

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've seen years like this before, cool summers and miserable autumns. The leaves will be off the trees early making winter seem all the longer. My wife ask me if I have seen any signs of an early winter, but with the weather like its been, I haven't seen my favorite predictor the woolly worm! I do think that the humming birds left early, but I haven't seen any low hanging hornets nest to help in my predicting. I have heard reports of big foot growing thicker hair though,lmao:crazy::smile2:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe November will bring an Indian Summer, this has definetely been a different fall. There wasn't much of a transition from summer to it! rollo

12. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is without a doubt my worst year of fishing yet. This weird weather pattern had me all thrown off and i didnt know where to go when lol...I caught some good fish and had some fun but i wish the year couldve been more predictable. Its getting COLD...wheres global warming when you need it? :smile2:

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It's kind of funny, yet sad at the same time. So many people are commenting on how bad their fishing has been, while for me, it has been the best year of my life.

Although, this is the first season that I have even targeted Flats specifically. The help I recieved on here, and finding a spot close by on the Scioto has helped tremendously, as did my several trips to the Ohio. Prior to this season, I had never even caught a Blue. I didn't catch any monsters, although I did have one get the better of me, but just based on numbers, it's easily the most Flats I have ever caught in 1 year. Actually, I probably caught more Flats this year than all my prior years combined.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree with your statement 100% jack. years like this are why it is so important that people CPR. that way when there is a bad spawn, the following year the big breeder females/males are around to reproduce. secondly, i have heard from a few sources that the weather has deffinitly effected the spawn of the bait fish. so that could explain why the number of shad and skips have been low and hard to find. i look for next spring, if the weather co-operates to be a good one, but the following year (2011) should be the next great year if all returns to normal. JMO

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

I hear ya man. Best year for me to by far. I destroyed them this year only got skunked I think three times and had many days of more than 10 fish in a day. I just feel bad mentioning it. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact I target blues mostly and not flats as much. I will admit this has not been my best flat year, the best I caught this year was a little over 18lbs. I caught at least 20 flats this year but none that were pigs.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think it has been a bad year overall. Especially with the limited trips I made it out. I have seen fishing worse, but it could be different from system to system. I was really looking forward to a good bite through this month and into late next month. But, im not sure how thats gonna play out now with the water temps. plummeting as fast as they did. The fish had to be thrown into a different immediate pattern around here. Well see, as soon as the rain quits and we get a seasonable day, I hope to see how bad or good things are... lol...:wink: rollo

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i think the weather sucks. Its been a good year for me compared to last year but anything is better than last year.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    cool and wet spring, not much of a summer and now wet and cold fall, what the hell, this sucks:confused2:

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard a weather forcaster on a Columbus Ohio station, and he said we are in for a winter like we had in the late 70,s...Many days with below 0 temps, and he said this pattern could stay with us for several years.

I remember the winters of 78 and 79..Once it snowed the snow and ice stayed on the ground all winter, and we still had ice on the water in early April.

I remember one stretch where we had temps below 0 for like 10 days in a row, and somedays the high temperature did not get much above 0.

I hope he is wrong, for sure.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, a few years years ago I was catfishing in January and it was 70 degrees...I guess we are paying for those mild winters.