what do ya think about the Catmax

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by puppypal, Jul 14, 2009.

1. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...lts?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

I am thinkn' about gettn this rod and reel combo in a 9 or 10 foot
    Just so I can hang on the river with DH
    I have heard it is tough as a pitbull so just wanted ya all's opion.
    I figure i can personalize it when i wrap the guides with line. HotPink of course and this way I do not have to spend a small fortune on a custom pole. Opions please.

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    glen, i'm not into spinning rigs but that looks like a pretty good outfit. casting reels are designed more like a winch and your line is not making contact with any metal like the bail on a spinning reel so i think that they are probably a little better reels. but to each their own. you might get ray to teach you to cast a casting reel and i'll bet you'll never look back at the spinning reels.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The rods are great, but the eyes are not very good ! :wink:

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    by this do you mean the line cuts into them? Glenda it looks like a fine outfit, I personally would get the MH rod as the heavy would in my opinion be to stiff to get a good launch out of it. I used spinners for many years, but like Billy said once you go to a bait caster you wont look back, Jennie has my spinnin rigs now and once I get her taught good on those I will try to get her taught on baitcasters. Patience is definantly a virtue:smile2::eek:oooh: Only thing I would like to see on that rig is a bait runner reel. That way you could set it to freespool like you do a bait caster with clickers. I always like to let the cat run a bit before settin the hook. Good luck in your choice, ask DH what size weight he uses at the dam and go from there in your selection.

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Thanks on everyones reply........
    Since I am a tall girl and tend to use a wrench all day along with loading 40 pound boxes of marble I do have strength to get the line where i want it. LOL
    I still haven't made my mind up as of yet. on the reel
    Well guess I am a true women..LOL:wink:
    I may try to cast DH penn baitcasting rod this weekend and see where it takes me?! Think it is a 209 level wind
    I am a lefty and DH is right handed so when he teaches me something i tend to have to do it backwards. Oh, well we will see.
    The good thing is i had a color preferance at one point now with the help of a guy at hacket jacks i have hot pink YES! Hot pink line to wrap my eyes with so color isn't an issue LOL ROFL

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    glen i have 2 of those 209s and they are not the easiest reels to cast so dont get discouraged.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
  8. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    The spinning reel could be a wise choice because they can be used by people who are right or left handed. Most reels are made so that they can just switch the handle to right or left side.. Something to think about.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009