What do ya do??

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by whisker maniac, Jan 27, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have a lure that was a good producer for me. It was called a Heddin Prowler. Heddin was bought out by Plastic Research Co. years ago and quit producing this lure. I've caught several real nice bass with this lure and some hungry catfish too. I had five of these baits and am now down to just one that when I recently went thru my bass tackle box, found that it had a hole in it. Now the ? is what is a guy to do when one of his favorite lures are no longer produced but would like to still have and use this bait?? If you try to copy it yourself what material do you use? Down in this part of the country it is really hard to find Balsa wood in the proper thickness so that you will have enough to work with.

Do any of you guys make a mold and mold your own and if you do how??

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont know if they are still in bussiness or not but you can check in the back of outdoor life or field and stream magizine in the classified ads and find a company named nexcraft.order their catalog and they have a section where you can buy lure bodies in any shape you want.

3. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    good question... i can't really help you with making lures.. i personally started making my own jigs when i came into a similar situation.. however, i ended up finding the same jigs just with a larger price tag made by a different company on the internet..try google...describe the lure, manufacture, etc. you might get lucky and find some surplus at a good price.. good luck and i hope you find what you're looking for. p.s. it took me quite a while to stumble across them , boy was i excited, my jigs were'nt nearly as pretty:roll_eyes:

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats a hard one try to find some bosa

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i have carved some lures from cedar and they seem to work alright.

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
  8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Or you could try and find a new favorite lure!!!!

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I liked the Prowler too and lost my last one eight years ago. It did a fine
    imitation of a wounded minnow on short runs and I miss it. Good luck on
    copying it! I just didn't have the skills to and never tried it.