?what do u think is best lake in illinois to fish in

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    was wondering what lake in illinois do u like the best and had the most luck at?

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    As far as my favorite lake I would have to say Carlyle due to my whole family can do something . Fishing - camping - swimming - hiking - etc.

My favorite fishing hole is Nashville reservoir .

3. TccaJack

TccaJack New Member

State:
    Illinois
    it depends on what you are going to the lake to do. If you were just going for a day of just fishing illinois has three power plant cooling lakes that offer great bluecat fishing. Up north you can go to lassalle central you can go to powerton and down south you can go to baldwin. I have fished all three with great sucsess. We have had fish over 25lbs out of all three.

4. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depends on if you want quantity or quality. For quality it is hard to beat Powerton in Pekin or Lasalle Lake, both lakes have good numbers of large blues and they are usually willing to bite in the spring and fall. If you want quantity just about any lake in Illinois can be good. My favorites are Clinton Lake and Lake Springfield. However, most lakes in Illinois have good numbers of channel catfish and they are usually not fished all that much so the success ratio can be very good.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    I think most guys around here do best at rend, baldwin and carlyle.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Ditto that, Shane. I'd also like to try the Kaskaskia River this year.

7. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois

Arron

we will have to hook up this summer on the kasky. I have a couple sure fire spots we always catch cats. alot of real nice blues out there in my neck of the river. i think the biggest we caught was 22 lbs last year. We usually set a couple trot lines before we drift so if they arent bitin on the poles while driftin we should usually have somethin on the trot line:wink:

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im not from there but ive heard good things about Baldwin lake

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    pssssst.... clinton lake has no channels. lol.

i have great succes there. over 100-150 every year.

powerton has some big blues. sad ionly thing ive ever done there is lost a prop and caught fiddlers. and the discharge is nothing but a mess of trash and piles of dead fish. i seen a fella with a 21lb blue one day. i dont go there much anymore.

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Lake Decateur because your taking chances with your life if you eat anything out of it. How exciting is that?

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i hear its bad. and i wouldnt be supprised to see a body floating around in there either.

12. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer to drift fish Powerton. I hate the walk in and the crap you see there. I haven't fished there this year as it is still closed to boats for levee work or something. Hope is opens before the water gets too hot. The biggest blue I have personally come out of Powerton was 36 pounds, it sure was a nice fish.