what do u think is best lake in california to fish in

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what does everybody think the best lake in california is and where u have had the best luck?

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    As for the best all around lake for fishing for me would be: "Clear Lake".

But for the best River, I would have to say it's the: "California Delta". :0a23:
    (at lease for me anyway)
    :wink:

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Depends on what you wish to fish for.
    Nacimiento on the central coast is one of my favorite lakes when the white bass are active. I've had days there that produced more than 100 fish.
    It also has a good population of spotted and Smallmouth along with Largemouth bass.
    A healthy crappie population doesn't hurt, neither does the channel catfish numbers.
    Not far away is San Antonio that has stripers, catfish, largemouth, small mouth and big crappie.
    For monster blue cats you wont beat Lake San Vicente in San Diego Co.
    Around L.A. Castaic for your best shot at a world record Largemouth.
    It's hard to pick one lake. California is a big state with a wide verity of fishing opportunities.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    that is a loaded question. depends on what part of state you live in i'm sure. either you think lake near you is best, or that one far away some MAY have caught the record fish on.
    gary

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'd agree with Bert, Plumbertom1 and to fish....... my only concern is "The best Lake"? what is best?

Cachuma is closing down boat usage because of the agguga muscles....Casatas is also limiting folks at fishing.....Pyramid is up a long hill on the grapevine to get to it........Lake Shasta is a good lake... but it way up in the top of the state.....Don Pedro is a great lake..... only fished it once....

Diamond valley lake is restrictive for 2 stroke motors....Lake skinner is restrictive.....SanDiego lakes are not open for my boat, or they are not open ... just certain days of the week...

The best All arround lakes are.....Nacimento, San Antonio, Clear Lake, and lake Havasu and Lake Mojave on the colorado river....All of these lakes are $.50 cents a mile for me to get to them, and it does get expensive to get to them with the RV..

Irvine Lake is the cheepest to get to, there and back....no camping....

California is starting to S U C K

Bayrunner Ray

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Mel, Welcome to the BOC. Everyone post is accurate. I like to add in my local "kneck of the woods": Highlighted ones are the ones I personally had good luck.
    1. San Luis Res
    2. Pine Flat lake
    3. Eastmen lake

4. New Melones lake
    5. Amador lake
    6. Hensley lake
    7. Success lake

7. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Best lake in California to fish in? There isn't one. There are many.

Some lakes are better for quantity, some are better for quality. Some lakes have stripers or sturgeon or other fish that are not commonly found in other lakes. You could probably come up with a top 5 list for each fish species, but not just one best lake in general.

Actually, the best lake in California happens to be whichever one I'm fishing at the moment. As long as I'm on the water, my soul is happy. . .

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC :0a23:

9. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    For all around numbers, variety and size.....I would have to say Clearlake. However, like the other guys said, it's not just about the fish. You pretty much have to have a boat for Clearlake and it gets really windy! I prefer East Park reservoir because it is free to camp and fish.
    Linz.

10. sag12

sag12 New Member

State:
    CA
    Clearlake is where I caught the biggest fish in my 51 years. So I have to go with Clearlake also!!!

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    :big_smile:Welcome to the BOC brother

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Marv, glad you joined us.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Marv, Welcome to the BOC..... been by Clearlake several times heading north to fish in Oregon.....need to stop off and get into some of the local action, as several BOC brothers are quite regular here and have posted on its success.

Bayrunner Ray

14. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    I kinda like Lake Pacific Ocean. Well it aint really a lake but the fishings good.

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc

16. Steelyhead

Steelyhead New Member

State:
    California
    Favorite lake I have to go with Eagle Lake or Lake Almanor up near Chester. I don't get up there as much anymore since I moved back to the Bay Area but you can't beat the trout fishing there :smile2:

Catfishing, have to say the Delta but I haven't caught any real big ones, just a lot of little ones (do giant sturgeon count :tounge_out:). Biggest Cat I caught was at Lake Oroville.

Could use some pointers of good area I can take my boys to catch big cats in the Delta region.

Oh yeah... glad I found this board!

17. Tyrone Stewart

Tyrone Stewart New Member

State:
    Georgia
    lake Berryessa in Napa

18. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Tyrone.

19. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    I Grew up fishing in Whittier, Ca.. I Fished the ocean when I could... But, when it came to cat's or Bass.. I alway's had my favorite little spot where I alway's had seen the same 7 to 8 face's... There was a pond in a golf course..lol.. it was right across from another pond in La Mirada regional park.. Can't remember the name of the course.. But, I'll tell you what.. I alway's caught fish there Big and small.. I did get to see a 3 and ahalf pound bullgill get caught once out of there... the guy thought he had a Big Bass...:smile2:

20. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    not a bullgill..... lol.... a bluegill